Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122187 - 10/12/09 12:21 AM Knife making
Bear Cavalry Offline

Loc: Keweenaw Peninsula, MI
So I found this site a while ago, and figured that this project would be perfect for the light weight section. I have to admit, even when I am trying to pack light, I will splurge for a knife a little more heavy duty than this.

Survival Knife

Another project on his site that is a favorite of mine, I have not yet gotten around to making one.

Khukri Overhaul

He has a lot of cool knife projects on his site.

#122228 - 10/12/09 02:33 PM Re: Knife making [Re: Bear Cavalry]
JimmyTH Offline

Loc: Indiana
The kukhri looks good but I can't imagine how the hacksaw knife would be useful for much. Hacksaw blades bend too easily, stock's too thin for a knife and the temper is wrong.

I used to make a lot of my own tools and knives, cutting blanks from plow discs and sawmill blades and shaping by forging and grinding. Getting things tempered right isn't easy and the thinner the steel the trickier it is. One of my favorite knives was built around a blade blank of laminated swedish steel, all I had to do was make everything else, bolster and handle slabs and pommel and sheath. Still lots of work but it was a really good knife and I've still got it someplace.

I looked for the blade and Woodcraft Supply still has it at Woodcraft Supply Large Laminated Knife. I had a few pieces of Brazilian rosewood laying around back then, and the blade I used had a rattail tang, so I wound up with a really nice looking knife with a rosewood handle and brass fittings for about twenty bucks. Heck of a deal. Price has gone up on the blade now, but it's a full tang model, stronger and simpler. Several other kits available at Woodcraft Supply.

JimmyTH

#122235 - 10/12/09 04:05 PM Re: Knife making [Re: JimmyTH]
Bear Cavalry Offline

Yeah, I kinda feel like the hacksaw blade is just to small/light to be very useful, but I figured somebody in the the market for really small lightweight gear might find it useful.

I am looking into getting a Kukhri right now, I think that will be a little more useful, and I am willing to haul a little more weight for a lot more usefulness. I made a pretty good little blade out of a piece of a big lumber saw, used some pieces of antler from my attic to make the handle, I don't know where that is anymore...somewhere.

#122236 - 10/12/09 04:10 PM Re: Knife making [Re: Bear Cavalry]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I've seen M40's site for a while. I agree with his sentiment on chopping - at least when it comes to "high impact" type camping/survival or winter stuff getting firewood. Personally, I've used knives like the kukri, but when it comes down to it for chopping, give me a regular sized knife and then for equivalent weight a small 1.5 lb axe. the smaller knife is then better at doing knifely things, and the axe is far better at everything else. If you want a nice one go find a gransfors forest axe, or the little fiskars axe..

Now making a sheath for the axe and putting a little kit like his survival kit on it might be ok. but this is all stuff I always have in my daybag anyways, anywhere I go.

Browse my pictures

#122271 - 10/12/09 09:32 PM Re: Knife making [Re: phat]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Nicely put, Phat:Use an ax for chopping/splitting. A small knife will do "knifey things" better. A 2" blade takes care of cutting line, tinder and food packages. A 4" blade is useful for cooking, marginal for splitting and useless for either chopping or trimming toenails. And if it is a good chopper, it will not be much good for anything else.

#122290 - 10/13/09 12:36 AM Re: Knife making [Re: Spock]
JimmyTH Offline

Loc: Indiana
I agree with the chopping concept, if you have a knife big enough for that it's a clunky hatchet. I think the Kuhkri was originally made as a sort of combination machete and short sword, sidearm in the Indian or Pakistani armies. The camp knives you get here are mostly toned down versions. It's not really meant for the uses we favor.

I always carry a knife style knife, and I take a light tomahawk, a custom single bevel type I talked a smith in Montana into making for me. I know enough about smithing to know he's a lot better than I am. Haven't regretted that, you can chop with a knife but the tomahawk works. By the time you start on something with a knife, the tomahawk is finished already. No contest there.

JimmyTH

#122291 - 10/13/09 01:03 AM Re: Knife making [Re: phat]
Bear Cavalry Offline

I see what you are saying about rather having something especially made for the job, but it seems like (depending on what you are planning on chopping/cutting) there could be a middle ground that would save you packing an extra tool. I know that a small to medium kukri won't do the job that a hatchet will, and a large one won't cut like a knife, but I think you could probably manage with a middle sized one, and spare yourself the weight of the second tool. While I am not a hardcore enough ultralight fan to worry about the weight of an extra knife, there might be some who do. In the end, I just think that they are dang cool knives that are fun to use. I realize that it may not be grounds to add it to the kit, but I will at least play around with it.

#122308 - 10/13/09 10:43 AM Re: Knife making [Re: Bear Cavalry]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I think you need to test out your theory. Use the Kukuri on a bunch of knife jobs that you think you will need to do, and then do a couple hatchet jobs with it. Make sure to post your results.

Anyways, I lost my train of thought. It's that dang bear doing backflips.

#122321 - 10/13/09 01:54 PM Re: Knife making [Re: finallyME]
Bear Cavalry Offline

I plan on doing this eventually. I will be sure to post the results up here. At present the only kukri I have access to are old ones that my grand father got in WWII when he was stationed in the Pacific. I am thinking I probably shouldn't tear those apart.

I am looking at a couple different possibilities to purchase, around $20. The Cold Steel model supposedly was pretty good, but then they switched suppliers and the steel is crappy now and will not hold an edge.

I freaking love my dancing bear.

#122347 - 10/13/09 11:25 PM Re: Knife making [Re: Bear Cavalry]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Ditch the bear or I'll never read your posts
Jim crazy

#122357 - 10/14/09 02:17 AM Re: Knife making [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

At least the bear isn't wearing a kilt wink
Browse my pictures

#122372 - 10/14/09 10:13 AM Re: Knife making [Re: phat]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Originally Posted By phat

At least the bear isn't wearing a kilt wink

That would be SWEET!!!!!!

BF cool

#122380 - 10/14/09 11:54 AM Re: Knife making [Re: phat]
Bear Cavalry Offline

If I can find one, I am putting that up. Kilts are cool...especially if there is a breeze.

#122425 - 10/14/09 11:11 PM Re: Knife making [Re: Bear Cavalry]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Originally Posted By Bear Cavalry
If I can find one, I am putting that up. Kilts are cool...especially if there is a breeze.

Told ya' AGAIN, Phat lol Don't be "Kilt hatin'" lame

BF cool

Edited by bigfoot2 (10/14/09 11:12 PM)

#122846 - 10/24/09 08:53 AM Re: Knife making [Re: Bear Cavalry]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Bear, My high school shop teacher taught us that a old file makes the best knife blade. You have to take your time grinding it to shape so it doesnt get to hot. A knife blade made in this fashion will hold a edge better than any I have seen. Files are very high carbon steel. Todays knives are all shiny pretty Stainless. There are some hard Stainless blades out there. 440 Stainless makes a respectable blade. Happy Trails!

#122849 - 10/24/09 09:18 AM Re: Knife making [Re: Kent W]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Quote:
My high school shop teacher taught us that a old file makes the best knife blade.

Like a lot of old time legends, this is true to an extent. You can make a knife out of an old file but it certainly is not the best material for a blade. File steel is compounded to be hard when tempered; it is about 1.5% carbon. Hard steel such as that will hold an edge but unless the blade undergoes a differential tempering process it will be extremely brittle. Most files are brittle; at least more brittle than is desirable for a knife blade. Grinding a knife from a file retains the brittle nature of the file in the knife blade. Annealing and tempering are required to produce a reasonable knife from file steel; or any carbon steel for that matter.

IMO, the best carbon steel for a knife blade is that used for saws. It is about 1.0% carbon, can be hardened to hold an edge but still retain the toughness (lack of brittleness) that makes a good knife blade.

I am convinced that if one wants a knife that will hold an extremely sharp edge, it is hard to improve much on good carbon steel. But, if you look at the steel used in surgical instruments, it is almost always some type of stainless. Modern stainless alloys can hold an incredible edge but not one that will hold up to the types of use to which a pocket or sheath knife is intended.

#122864 - 10/24/09 05:25 PM Re: Knife making [Re: Bear Cavalry]
Knight Hawk Offline

Loc: UP Michigan
batman and the shark is better, you should use one of the bear cavalry pictures

#122880 - 10/24/09 07:59 PM Re: Knife making [Re: Pika]
Kent W Offline

What do you use a knife for a screw driver or to cut? Brittle yes but sharp yes again. Knives are for cutting not prying etc. So brittle doesnt matter unless you are trying to cut a nail in half like on a tv demo!You will not break afile knife boning a dear or cleaning fish. Pry the lid off a can of beans instead of using can opener? PERHAPS!

#122884 - 10/24/09 08:42 PM Re: Knife making [Re: Bear Cavalry]
Bear Cavalry Offline

Got the knife today, it is a beast. Put an edge on it (it came dull). Going to need to modify the sheath because I went ahead and tore the leather off. It seems like they used some sort of water soluble dye to blacken the leather, so that was no good. I have yet to go out and test it, but it is dark and I have to do some philosophy research.

I will probably put photos up at some point.

#122890 - 10/24/09 10:14 PM Re: Knife making [Re: Kent W]
Pika Offline

If you want a knife ground from a file, great, get one and enjoy it. But, I think that most established custom knife makers know more about knife steel than did your shop teacher. And, I don't know any who would make a blade from steel with 1.5% carbon; they would go bankrupt from all of the broken returns and grinding them to shape would take months. Perhaps your shop teacher had had experience with older files that had lower carbon steel. These days, those who make blades of carbon steel use saw steel, not file steel.

If you look, you'll see that most files are 1/8" to >1/4" thick; they need this thickness for the strength to withstand the flexing to which files are prone when in use. Most knives are no thicker than 3/32" and are often 3/64" thick or less; if you had a knife this thin made of heat-treated file steel it would snap like a potato chip the first time it was even mildly stressed. To have any strength at all, a knife of file steel would need to be thick and heavy.

Check it out; Google knife steel. You will find that most knife makers who use carbon steel use something like 1095 steel; 1095 is 0.95% carbon. It will heat-treat and harden quite well and take a long-lasting edge but is still tough enough to withstand some flexing. Ka-Bar knives are made of 1095. You are right that a knife is not a pry-bar or screwdriver but the blade has to be able to bend a bit. And, brittle does matter in a knife. Hardened file steel is more like glass in its flexing ability; ie none.

#122892 - 10/25/09 09:26 AM Re: Knife making [Re: Pika]
Kent W Offline

The only knife blade I have seen bend a bit was a thin fish fillet knife. When cutting as intended they do not bend. But enough. My intention was not to get you upset!

#122897 - 10/25/09 03:52 PM Re: Knife making [Re: Kent W]
finallyME Offline

If you use a file for a knife, you have to temper it so it doesn't break, like Pika is trying to say.

Here is a video that shows how to make a knife from a file. It also explains why you need to temper it.

Video 1 Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Video 4

#123006 - 10/28/09 12:03 AM Re: Knife making [Re: Pika]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Originally Posted By Pika
[quote]
IMO, the best carbon steel for a knife blade is that used for saws.

Pika, what type of saw blade? I have several old 7 1/4 in carbon steel circular saw blades and have considered cutting the up to try knife making?

Would this be okay or should I use an old carbon steel handsaw?

Tango

#123012 - 10/28/09 09:05 AM Re: Knife making [Re: Tango61]
Pika Offline

A lot of the circular saw blades are alloy steel that is chosen to minimize warping when they heat up, or to provide a good bond for carbide teeth. Most of them are good steel for knives but since the composition is often unknown, you could spend some time experimenting to find the proper heat treating method. Alloy steel can be tough to grind as well.

The hand saw, if it is more than 20 years old, is most likely good carbon steel, probably around 1% carbon. I have never, yet, had a problem making a knife of handsaw blades. The blade will be a bit thinner than that of many knives but often the thinner blade will be easier to grind and keep sharp.

It is extremely important to keep the blade cool when you are grinding. A grinder with a water spray is not essential but it will speed up the grinding process by a factor of ten.

Also, if you have a steel supplier nearby, you can order 1095 steel in a variety of strips, sheets and bars. That way, you can have a blade as thick as you want. Costs though.

You might want to look up some information on heat-treating carbon steel. If you heat-treat properly, you will have a tough blade but one that will fiercely hold an edge. You will want one that covers annealing and hardening. I have some references on the subject but they are down in my shop building. If you would like, I'll send you the author and title once I get down there. Just let me know.

Have fun, it is really satisfying to use a knife you made yourself.

#123013 - 10/28/09 09:23 AM Re: Knife making [Re: Tango61]
finallyME Offline

Originally Posted By Tango61
[quote=Pika]
Quote:

IMO, the best carbon steel for a knife blade is that used for saws.

Pika, what type of saw blade? I have several old 7 1/4 in carbon steel circular saw blades and have considered cutting the up to try knife making?

Would this be okay or should I use an old carbon steel handsaw?

Tango

Tango, I have actually started to do exactly that. I found an old 7 1/4 circular saw blade laying in a field. I decided to see about making a knife out of it. First I annealed it in a fire. Then I cut it out of the blade and shaped it with a file. Now I need to heat treat it. It will be a very small carving blade, so maybe no tempering. I will post pics when I actually finish it. I have been taking pictures of the process along the way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum