Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121758 - 10/01/09 08:35 PM led headlamps for backpacking
k smith Offline

Loc: ca

which headlamps are everyone using for b packing i checked out the black diamond and princeton tec fuel both look pretty descent but i want to but only once so any suggestions??

thanks
k smith

#121761 - 10/01/09 10:12 PM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: k smith]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
I love my BD Spot. I've had good luck with it.

BF cool

#121763 - 10/01/09 11:06 PM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: k smith]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've tried a number of them ("Look! Oooh, shiny; must buy.") including Petzl Zipka, several Princeton Tec models, and a Black Diamond model. For my needs (which are minimal), no one lamp jumps out as being "better."

However, I find that I take my Princeton Tec Scout most often, but not because of the brightness, battery life or size, or other technical factor. I take it because there's a little guard tab that covers the switch when it isn't swiveled out for use - I like that fact that the tab keeps it from accidentally switching on inside my pack.

#121765 - 10/02/09 12:07 AM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: k smith]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I standardized the cell type that my camera, GPS, light, solar charger and water purifier use to AA. That way any cell works in any device, spares are universal, and one device's cells can serve as another's spares.

For my needs the best AA light I have found is the Zebralight H50 Q5.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#121770 - 10/02/09 10:16 AM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: k smith]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I use the Energizer headlamps from Wal-Mart. They have 2-3 versions and cost 8-13.00 depending on which one you want.

They work a lot better than any of the expensive ones out there. Now they are a little heavier but not enough for me to worry about

#121771 - 10/02/09 10:22 AM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: Ewker]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Originally Posted By Ewker
I use the Energizer headlamps from Wal-Mart. <snip>
They work a lot better than any of the expensive ones out there.

Can you tell us more? In what way better -- durability? --functionality? or??

#121772 - 10/02/09 10:43 AM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: Keith]
NightForce Offline

Loc: MD, USA
I standardized as well with CR-123's; Princeton Tec Apex Pro headlamp and a Zebralight H30. Other flashlights are CR-123A as well.

For AA folks, it would be hard to beat the newest Zebralight H501. 3.3 lumens for 3.5 days or 96 lumens for 2.5 hours, on a single AA, with a nice smooth flood pattern.

I use my H30 on the lowest setting (4 lumens, 3.7 days) as a tent light as well.

#121773 - 10/02/09 11:36 AM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: k smith]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
This subject would be good under ‘gadgets’.

My favorite for backpacking is the Zebralight H501. http://www.zebralight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=186
On medium, it comfortably lights a whole picnic table--- enough for 8 to play cards. I like the strobe mode for daytime biking. I learned to turn the battery cover a quarter turn so it won’t accidentally turn on in my pack.

But I am a flashaholic crazy. I love my powerful spotlight; especially for night hiking and spotting animals. So I ALSO bring a fenix. http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=51 I usually clip this to my hat bill if my wife is using the zebralight. And the diffuser tip http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=53 makes it a nice lantern for low weight and long runtime. Also, for lantern mode, I’ve stuck a white styrofoam cup over the fenix. In fact, I wear this light on my belt every day of my life--- mainly because I use it every day. And I or my wife also uses it for biking. (I won’t go into the tools I also carry everyday¬—but leave home on backpacking trips crazy)

And being a flashaholic, I ALSO bring the US Made AAA Arclight. http://www.arcflashlight.com/arc-aaa.shtml . I have had this for about 5 years in my pocket. Almost every single month, someone in our group forgets a light blush. This is the one I loan out.

I leave the Gerber Triode http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Triode-Headlamp-22-80005.htm in the car and loan it out also if someone forgets a light. It does very well in the backpacking field--- except to change the battery; that is a pain. The cap easily unscrews but the battery gets stuck. It takes some banging to loosen it. I get about 2 hours on high with an alkaline AAA.

As you can see, I love the single-cell lights. I don’t like 3 AA or 3 AAA lights eek. That’s an awkward battery number for purchasing, adds more weight, and requires more spares.

Good luck on your LIGHT choice whistle. Don’t be satisfied with one do-it-all light crazy.

-Barry

#121775 - 10/02/09 12:06 PM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: Keith]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By Keith
Originally Posted By Ewker
I use the Energizer headlamps from Wal-Mart. <snip>
They work a lot better than any of the expensive ones out there.

Can you tell us more? In what way better -- durability? --functionality? or??

they aren't as fragile as some of the newer lights. I have dropped mine quite a few times without any damage. They have 2-3 settings of brighness,a red night light and its headswivels for reading.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10233058

Edited by Ewker (10/02/09 12:18 PM)

#121784 - 10/02/09 07:25 PM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: k smith]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
After using several I settled on the Petzl Tikka XP, which has since been replaced with the XP2. I like its powerful pencil beam that can be diffused with a simple lens to give a nice wide beam in camp.

As you shop around you'll find hundreds to choose from. It's a pretty personal choice that revolves around price, features and weight.

Cheers,

Rick

#121786 - 10/02/09 08:03 PM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: k smith]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
I use a princeton tec Aurora, several years old. I like the swivel mount so I can aim it to read without holdiing my head in an odd position. I've looked at some lighter ones, but until I can get rechargeable batteries smaller than AAA I'll stick with my Aurora.
Ther are lots out there - I'd say that what matters is a good swivel, and a nice low setting to save batteries. I don't need it on high just to find things in the tent - I don't even usually use the highest setting to read. If you check the specs, you'll find that battery life varies from model to model - the ones that brag about how Bright they are usually have shorter battery life unless they have a nice low setting available.

#121792 - 10/02/09 11:28 PM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: Paul]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Originally Posted By Paul
I use a princeton tec Aurora, several years old. I like the swivel mount so I can aim it to read without holdiing my head in an odd position. I've looked at some lighter ones, but until I can get rechargeable batteries smaller than AAA I'll stick with my Aurora.
Ther are lots out there - I'd say that what matters is a good swivel, and a nice low setting to save batteries. I don't need it on high just to find things in the tent - I don't even usually use the highest setting to read. If you check the specs, you'll find that battery life varies from model to model - the ones that brag about how Bright they are usually have shorter battery life unless they have a nice low setting available.

My wife and I each have Auroras. They have worked fine for us. The newer of the two has a little whiter light and the older is bluer.

Just an observation about flashlight specs as far as brightness goes. The specs may be genuine, but the practical impact is much less so. Your eyes can almost magically adapt to varying levels of light such that over a certain range of brightness, you can see just as much as your eyes adapt. In some instances, you can actually see more with lower levels of light.

This is not to take away anything from the flashlight junkies who gain personal enjoyment from collecting various lights and comparing their specs. Just keep in mind that it's something like collecting and comparing baseball cards or knives: The objective criteria are there and an appreciation of the niceties is cultivated but much of it has little practical impact.

#121796 - 10/03/09 09:47 AM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: Keith]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have a Petzl e+light for summer backpacking. 1 ounce. On the lower setting, it has enough light for reading or for middle-of-the-night tent exits. In summer, I'm usually asleep by the time it gets dark. The batteries (CR2032 lithium, not cheap) aren't compatible with anything else I own except, oddly, my bathroom scale. For longer trips I start out with fresh batteries and don't bother with spares. When I change the batteries before a trip, the old ones (which still have some charge) are used for my scale, so I don't have to buy batteries for the latter. The e+light does need to be treated very gently, one of the penalties for its light weight, and must be sheltered from rain and sand (which gets under the rather weird wheel-like switch mechanism). If you get this light, practice turning it on in the dark quite a bit before your first trip--I didn't and had problems fumbling with it in the dark! I suspect that there are going to be better 1-ounce headlamps around in the near future. This one will be fine until it falls apart, which I expect it to do in a couple of years.

I also have a Princeton Tec; I think it is an Aurora. 3.3 oz. About 4 years old now. It has a regulator so can use lithium batteries (lighter, last longer, better in cold weather) and doesn't start dimming until the batteries are almost gone. It uses AAA batteries. I no longer use it for summer backpacking, but now that the days are shorter I carry the extra weight for the brighter light. I also use it around the house a lot--it's great when I clip my dog's claws! The headlamp is so much more convenient than a flashlight! I don't think I've ever used the brightest setting--it's just too bright! Again, I put a new set of batteries in it before a trip rather than carrying spares. The old ones (which always seem to have plenty of charge left in them) are carried as spares for dayhiking. It's also waterproof--my son has one he uses for surfing when he goes out just before dawn. It has been dropped a number of times with no ill effect.

I take one of those tiny photon LED lights for backup. It's on a cord around my neck along with my compass and whistle, so it goes everywhere with me. I rarely use it except for a couple of times when I haven't been able to find my headlamp in the dark.

The problem with most Petzl headlamps is that they don't have regulators. They therefore start dimming really soon in the battery life. They also can't use lithium batteries. The Petzl folks also warn against using rechargeable batteries. Evidently both are a fire hazard, not something you want to have on your forehead.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/03/09 09:50 AM)

#121805 - 10/03/09 11:45 AM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I also use the petzl e-light for most trips.
Browse my pictures

#121813 - 10/03/09 12:47 PM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: OregonMouse]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
(Donning pedant's hat) The Aurora isn't regulated. Small regulated PT headlamps include the Eos and the Quad. They (PT) don't have any restrictions on lithium batteries across the range, like Petzl. Petzl is correcting this issue and all the new Tikkas take lithium.

I agree that in camp a minimal light is plenty. That said the last three or four years I've found myself hiking and navigating in the Sierra after dark and a "real" light is what I need, since high Sierra trails are often indistinct, rubble strewn and confusing. The e+lite, for example, is initially bright enough for hiking but the output plunges quickly, so I can only depend on it for perhaps 15 minutes before it's too dim.

My routine is to hike on low and just use high when I need to scout ahead or when the trail has disappeared or is splitting. This helps maintain night vision as much as possible. Last month my buddy and I had to navigate from sundown until about ten o'clock, and then had to find a campable site and clear water source, set up camp, cook dinner, etc. which took until midnight. Some years I can go an entire season without calling upon my light for more than midnight runs to the bushes but when I really need it, I have it.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I have a Petzl e+light for summer backpacking. 1 ounce. On the lower setting, it has enough light for reading or for middle-of-the-night tent exits. In summer, I'm usually asleep by the time it gets dark. The batteries (CR2032 lithium, not cheap) aren't compatible with anything else I own except, oddly, my bathroom scale. For longer trips I start out with fresh batteries and don't bother with spares. When I change the batteries before a trip, the old ones (which still have some charge) are used for my scale, so I don't have to buy batteries for the latter. The e+light does need to be treated very gently, one of the penalties for its light weight, and must be sheltered from rain and sand (which gets under the rather weird wheel-like switch mechanism). If you get this light, practice turning it on in the dark quite a bit before your first trip--I didn't and had problems fumbling with it in the dark! I suspect that there are going to be better 1-ounce headlamps around in the near future. This one will be fine until it falls apart, which I expect it to do in a couple of years.

I also have a Princeton Tec; I think it is an Aurora. 3.3 oz. About 4 years old now. It has a regulator so can use lithium batteries (lighter, last longer, better in cold weather) and doesn't start dimming until the batteries are almost gone. It uses AAA batteries. I no longer use it for summer backpacking, but now that the days are shorter I carry the extra weight for the brighter light. I also use it around the house a lot--it's great when I clip my dog's claws! The headlamp is so much more convenient than a flashlight! I don't think I've ever used the brightest setting--it's just too bright! Again, I put a new set of batteries in it before a trip rather than carrying spares. The old ones (which always seem to have plenty of charge left in them) are carried as spares for dayhiking. It's also waterproof--my son has one he uses for surfing when he goes out just before dawn. It has been dropped a number of times with no ill effect.

I take one of those tiny photon LED lights for backup. It's on a cord around my neck along with my compass and whistle, so it goes everywhere with me. I rarely use it except for a couple of times when I haven't been able to find my headlamp in the dark.

The problem with most Petzl headlamps is that they don't have regulators. They therefore start dimming really soon in the battery life. They also can't use lithium batteries. The Petzl folks also warn against using rechargeable batteries. Evidently both are a fire hazard, not something you want to have on your forehead.

Edited by Rick_D (10/03/09 12:50 PM)

#121815 - 10/03/09 05:47 PM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: Rick_D]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
FWIW, I have used alkaline, rechargeable (NiMH) and lithium batteries in both my Aurora and in my son's Tikka, with no problems.

#121821 - 10/03/09 08:36 PM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: OregonMouse]
Owen Offline

Loc: United States
The e+light does need to be treated very gently, one of the penalties for its light weight, and must be sheltered from rain and sand (which gets under the rather weird wheel-like switch mechanism).

I've had my E+Lite for years and also always thought it might be fragile. About a week ago I decided to take a shower with it (I take 45 min. showers) and it gave me no problems after that, so maybe some just aren't as carefully assembled as others. Batteries can be purchased on eBay, in bulk, for good prices. I use the E+Lite for reading, mostly, and my pretty new Princeton Tec EOSR for night navigation chores.

#121839 - 10/04/09 12:25 AM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: Owen]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Maybe the Petzl e+light will last longer than I thought! It just looks so fragile! I still like having the bigger Princeton Tec light for longer hours of darkness.

My Princeton Tec headlamp is old enough that I don't remember what it is. It does have the single larger LED bulb, so maybe it's an EOS. The "Aurora" name sounds familar, but I may be wrong. I didn't keep the receipt from Campmor or the Princeton Tec paperwork, so I have no way of knowing. It was a closeout item back in 1996. All I know is, I really like it, even though it's on the heavy side. I suspect it does have a regulator because the light doesn't dim until the batteries are ready to die altogether.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/04/09 12:34 AM)

#121851 - 10/04/09 09:45 AM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: OregonMouse]
Rick Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
The batteries (CR2032 lithium, not cheap) aren't compatible with anything else I own except......

I use these cheap Lithium CR2032 batteries in my e+light and in these Turtle Lights for both my bike and camping. I sleep with the little elastic cord of the Turtle Light over my finger - its always at hand throughout the night. wink

#121852 - 10/04/09 10:02 AM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: Owen]
phat Offline

I've never much bothered to protect my e-lite from the rain, it's been soaked numerous times. - it's not like it's a 200 dollar headlamp that I'm worried about protecting. I take it mainly for convienince in camp, a bit of reading, and occasionally some night hiking with the red led. but realisticly on any trip none of those are *essential* so if it broke, oh well, I'd buy another when I got home.

This board always astonishes me with the number of petzl-haters out there, so I take some of the vitrol thrown the e-lite's way as pure propaganda, and file it in the same category of bovine scatology that I do "freedom fries". I've never personally had an issue with petzl lamps, they've served me well for years (even the old school big square battery jobs..) doing real stuff in the bush, not shining around in my backyard.

Edited by phat (10/04/09 10:05 AM)
Browse my pictures

#121853 - 10/04/09 10:08 AM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: Rick]
phat Offline

Hey rick, I use the MEC turtles on my bike, but never thought of the trick around the finger... hmmmm..

Oh, do you have a princess auto where you are? they sell big cards of lithium cr2032 batteries (I use them in the e-lite) for way less than MEC. The other place to look for cr2032's is computer stores - it's a common motherboard battery.
Browse my pictures

#121855 - 10/04/09 10:23 AM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: phat]
Rick Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By phat
Hey rick, I use the MEC turtles on my bike, but never thought of the trick around the finger... hmmmm..

Oh, do you have a princess auto where you are? they sell big cards of lithium cr2032 batteries (I use them in the e-lite) for way less than MEC. The other place to look for cr2032's is computer stores - it's a common motherboard battery.

When ya gotta go........no time to fumble around in the dark. Just be careful which hand you use for which task. eek

I'll try Princess Auto - there is one down the road some 30km in London - thanks.

#121994 - 10/06/09 10:14 PM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: Rick]
k smith Offline

Loc: ca

thanks for the info on the headlamps i ended up buying the
princeton tec fuel i got the 09 model with 4 led s in it
the old version only had three is what i was told
great little light but eventually ill probably get a black diamond light but for now the fuel will work great
k smith

#122107 - 10/09/09 10:56 PM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: BarryP]
rambler Offline

For hiking at night it is nice to have the spot feature to help youlook ahead to find the trail or see blazes at some distance. Remember, too, when using a colored light, the beam will change the color of a blaze. A white blaze might look blue!

#122208 - 10/12/09 11:26 AM Re: led headlamps for backpacking [Re: bigfoot2]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I second that. Ive been using my spot for about two years now and absolutly love it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum