Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133197 - 05/04/10 03:43 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: NightForce]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By NightForce
Well, I purchased a double wall and I'm glad I did. Hot tea made at home with boiling water took about 10 min to cool to drinkable temps, i.e. not lip scalding hot, the rim was only warm to the touch and the tea stayed hot while leisurely drinking it. Cold beverages seem to stay cold as well; ice lasts a while in the cup and the outside didn't sweat. Not really a backpackers concern I know, but a concern for someone like me who will use it for everyday use.

Definately not a concern when backpacking.

In a single walled cup the idea is that you do not fill the cup all the way to the rim; in fact I only fill mine around 3/4 full and by the time I have placed my pot on the ground and extinguished my stove I am able to drink from the cup without burning my lips-- and stays warm throughout my breakfast or dinner, which is long enough for me.

True, if you want a mug to take to work, class or to use around the home then a doubled walled is probably the way to go in order to keep your beverage warm enough for such a purpose. In the back-country, one often doesn't mull over a cup of coffee for a hour or so and thus a double-walled mug is not much use.

#133200 - 05/04/10 04:34 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: NightForce]
taM Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Am I the only one who just uses a free and nearly weightless styrofoam cup for hot beverages?

Tucks neatly into my pot, and my stove and small container of sugar (for hot tea) fit neatly into the cup. Pretty lightweight, the only "heavy" portion of my cook kit is my GSI kettle, which I bought because it's dual use...not in the usual sense though, dual as in I use it both at home and on the trail.

If I could get an alcohol stove to work efficiently with the Foster's can pot that I made, it would almost certainly replace the 6 ounce GSI kettle.

#133202 - 05/04/10 04:56 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: taM]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By taM
Am I the only one who just uses a free and nearly weightless styrofoam cup for hot beverages?

Too be honest taM my mug is my pot also. I use a SP 600 and cook freezer bag style. No need for an additional mug. Eat out of the bag and drink out of the 600.

#133208 - 05/04/10 07:47 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: ChrisFol]
taM Offline

Originally Posted By ChrisFol
Originally Posted By taM

Too be honest taM my mug is my pot also. I use a SP 600 and cook freezer bag style. No need for an additional mug. Eat out of the bag and drink out of the 600.

makes sense...unless you're toting a not-so-conducive-to-drinking kettle, another decent reason for me wanting to ditch the thing, other than overall heft.

#133279 - 05/06/10 12:48 AM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: taM]
longhiker Offline

styrofoam! duh!

i've been puzzling these last couple of weeks about how to shed cooking kit weight.. use a snow peak ~1 L with alcohol stove for 2 people but mainly boil water and make 2 courses.. soup + one bag meal.

was thinking of buying a ti cup to eat the soup out of while boiling more water. but styrofoam is the obvious answer!

however i'm still on the lookout for the lightest cheap pot to boil 0.5 L quickly in on an cat can stove..

#133285 - 05/06/10 08:28 AM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: longhiker]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Do they still sell the instant soup mix in styrofoam cup/bowls? If so, that solves the problem of trying to clean the styrofoam.

#133288 - 05/06/10 09:36 AM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: longhiker]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I own zero ti cooking gear...mostly because I'm a cheapskate grin and that I've found lighter alternatives. ANY plastic cup works. So does a tin can if you want it flame proof. I have plastic kid cups left over from when my kids were babies that weigh almost nothing, yet you could park you car on one...indestructible. My pot is a a VERY thin stainless pot pulled from Walmart's "stainless cook set" that weighs about what a ti pot of the same size weighs. They have the same thing in aluminum now which is lighter. I've cut the bottoms from disposable waterbottles, and they make a spiffy, collapsible cup....you can crush them flat several times before leaks finally develop, then they make good fire starters. Look around...lot of cheap/free options you probably already own.

#133319 - 05/06/10 08:16 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: longhiker]
NightForce Offline

Loc: MD, USA
Expensive and "trendy" I know, but I'm really happy with my Evernew ECA-418. I made a pot cozy for it out of Reflectix; it's super light, strong and durable, and keeps food hot for a LONG time. Boiled water stays 180°+F for well over a few hours.

My 2¢.

#133332 - 05/06/10 10:14 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: NightForce]
taM Offline

Originally Posted By NightForce
Expensive and "trendy" I know, but I'm really happy with my Evernew ECA-418. I made a pot cozy for it out of Reflectix; it's super light, strong and durable, and keeps food hot for a LONG time. Boiled water stays 180°+F for well over a few hours.

My 2¢.

this sounds like a bit of a stretch...

#133365 - 05/07/10 06:15 PM Re: Titanium cups/mugs(HUH ???) [Re: taM]
NightForce Offline

Loc: MD, USA
I do stand corrected! Must have been the thermos test that I remembered. Boiled water with reflectix cozy kept water from 208°F to 158°F for about 1h10m. Nowhere near the 2 hours and 180°F.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum