Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121610 - 09/28/09 10:33 PM Saint Minimus
6brnorma Offline

Loc: Arizona
Wondering if anyone has tried this little 'Headlamp' by Surefire. www.surefire.com/SaintMinimusHS2-A-BK

#121633 - 09/29/09 01:17 PM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: 6brnorma]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Basic specs:

Output:
High: 100 lumens
Low: 1 lumen

Runtime:
High Setting: 1.5 hours
Low Setting: 50 hours

Weight: 3.3 ounces with batt.
Batteries: One 123A lithium

Price: $139.00

I do not suppose you will find many TLB members who would pay quite so much for a 3.3 oz headlamp, regardless of how wonderful it might be.

#121640 - 09/29/09 02:27 PM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: 6brnorma]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
It looks lovely! I can envision it illuminating the inside of my coffin with spectacular detail and pleasant color should my dear spouse ever discover I dropped $140 on a headlamp.

Cheers,

#121642 - 09/29/09 03:09 PM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: 6brnorma]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Here is a poor man's version for a mere $49.00. It uses the same cell, it's aluminum, same basic configuration. Not quite as bright but I have the AA version and it's all the light I'll ever need in camp, or in a coffin grin

http://www.zebralight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=184

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#121643 - 09/29/09 03:19 PM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: 6brnorma]
Kieran Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
given the steripen cold weather debacle on models that use the CR123A batteries, I don't know that I'll be buying/trusting anything that uses those batteries. and i agree with the other posters - that price is quite steep. I think that might be a pretty good definition of the line where weight savings vs. price becomes unreasonable.

#121644 - 09/29/09 03:43 PM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: Kieran]
CJennings Offline

Loc: Utah
I agree that the price is outrageous, but there is definitely a market out there for them, it just may not be the backpacking community.

They are currently on back order.

Hunters over at 24hourcampfire.com are big fans of Surefire products.

Kinda like buying a Rolex, I suppose.

To be fair, they are precision pieces of equipment and are nice if one has the money to blow.

Edited by CJennings (09/29/09 03:54 PM)

#121654 - 09/29/09 07:18 PM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: 6brnorma]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
Originally Posted By 6brnorma
Wondering if anyone has tried this little 'Headlamp' by Surefire. www.surefire.com/SaintMinimusHS2-A-BK

Okay, here is one who has tried it. I have two Surefire flashlights and have always been amazed at the quality of the things, the build, the beam quality and the regulation of the light. Both use 123A batteries as does my Princeton Tech Apex Pro headlamp. If you buy the domestic batteries you will not have a problem as long as you store them properly. Some of the foreign batteries are not protected but the US made batteries are.

To save myself from the fate that Rick alludes to I bought two of these things, one for me and one for Girlfriend. We both do a lot of night stuff together, sometimes bushwhacking and other times just getting in some reading around camp at night. The Surefire Minimus is perfect for our needs.

The very lowest setting is great for reading a close page. It can be used to faintly illuminate camp if you need to have a bit of light but not totally blow your night vision. There is a slight detent at mid range which is a great level for general hiking. When you need to put out a wall of light there is high. We have need for big variances in light levels and the Minimus can be dialed to any level between 0 and 100 lumens. Normally with a good beam quality, I like about 15 lumens for cross country travel with momentary bursts of brigher for certain passages.

The beam color is way better than the Apex Pro and it is about 70 grams lighter that the Apex pro as well. There are some tiny, faint artifacts in the beam if you white wall it but in real use, you will not notice it. All headlamps I have used have had far worse beam qualities compared to the Minimus.

The beam can be angled up or down to any angle like many other headlamps.

Some of my friends have broken headlamps. Many of them are plastic things. The Surefire build is so good that I expect that this one will still be around after decades of rambling.

They are very comfortable.

Yes they are expensive. I'm not exactly well to do but I do buy the best quality I can afford in certain tools.

I hope that helps you some 6brnorma.

#121667 - 09/29/09 11:52 PM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: Arizona]
6brnorma Offline

Originally Posted By Arizona

Thanks Arizona, very useful information and thanks to everyone else also.

I have a number of Surefire products and all are superior in both quality and performance. None are cheap however. Biggest problem I've had is that they seem to 'grow legs' and walk away. I'm a little dissappointed in the 'adventurous' nature of some of you men here....don't you know what old worn out backpacks are for. That's how you move items such as this in and out of the house without 'dear wifey' finding out grin Didn't sound like many/any were interested but if you are...Bright Guys.com has them in stock for same day shipping.

#121671 - 09/30/09 12:16 AM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: 6brnorma]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Obviously, you aren't married to an accountant. It is not the bringing into/out of the house that gets noticed, it is the bill or 'missing' cash wink

#121682 - 09/30/09 10:23 AM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: thecook]
6brnorma Offline

Originally Posted By thecook
Obviously, you aren't married to an accountant. It is not the bringing into/out of the house that gets noticed, it is the bill or 'missing' cash wink

grin Touche'

#121685 - 09/30/09 12:51 PM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: Arizona]
Rick_D Offline

Okay, now you've done gone and made me want one. It's wife.gov's birthday this month, I wonder if she'd like....

Originally Posted By Arizona
Okay, here is one who has tried it. I have two Surefire flashlights and have always been amazed at the quality of the things, the build, the beam quality and the regulation of the light. Both use 123A batteries as does my Princeton Tech Apex Pro headlamp. If you buy the domestic batteries you will not have a problem as long as you store them properly. Some of the foreign batteries are not protected but the US made batteries are.

To save myself from the fate that Rick alludes to I bought two of these things, one for me and one for Girlfriend. We both do a lot of night stuff together, sometimes bushwhacking and other times just getting in some reading around camp at night. The Surefire Minimus is perfect for our needs.

The very lowest setting is great for reading a close page. It can be used to faintly illuminate camp if you need to have a bit of light but not totally blow your night vision. There is a slight detent at mid range which is a great level for general hiking. When you need to put out a wall of light there is high. We have need for big variances in light levels and the Minimus can be dialed to any level between 0 and 100 lumens. Normally with a good beam quality, I like about 15 lumens for cross country travel with momentary bursts of brigher for certain passages.

The beam color is way better than the Apex Pro and it is about 70 grams lighter that the Apex pro as well. There are some tiny, faint artifacts in the beam if you white wall it but in real use, you will not notice it. All headlamps I have used have had far worse beam qualities compared to the Minimus.

The beam can be angled up or down to any angle like many other headlamps.

Some of my friends have broken headlamps. Many of them are plastic things. The Surefire build is so good that I expect that this one will still be around after decades of rambling.

They are very comfortable.

Yes they are expensive. I'm not exactly well to do but I do buy the best quality I can afford in certain tools.

#121690 - 09/30/09 01:51 PM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: Rick_D]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Rick D, a new headlamp won't cut it for your wife's birthdaygift; not when she's pining away for that new vacuum cleaner or ironing board! laugh

#121695 - 09/30/09 02:03 PM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: aimless]
6brnorma Offline

Originally Posted By aimless
Rick D, a new headlamp won't cut it for your wife's birthdaygift; not when she's pining away for that new vacuum cleaner or ironing board! laugh

As I've said ... ooh...5-6 times before. Wifey can never have too many shotguns..er..headlamps laugh laugh laugh

#121734 - 10/01/09 11:51 AM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: 6brnorma]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By thecook

grin Touche'

Yeah, that's waaaaay too close to home (I am married to an accountant).

It's much easier to hide the gear than the bill smile
Browse my pictures

#121738 - 10/01/09 12:10 PM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: phat]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
We run with a "Don't ask/don't tell" philosophy. As long as the other bills can be paid, I don't ask what hubby's archery tackle costs, and don't tell what I spend on backpacking gear ...

CamperMom
(Who, for now, can access the forum again.)

#121741 - 10/01/09 12:45 PM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: 6brnorma]
Rick_D Offline

Y'all are trying to get me deaded! How can I hike from inside a box?

Sheesh!

p.s. REI, it turns out, carries this thing. REI is known to occasionally spew forth 20% off everything coupons, although "everything" has all kinds of restrictions on electronics. Just sharing information....

Originally Posted By aimless

As I've said ... ooh...5-6 times before. Wifey can never have too many shotguns..er..headlamps laugh laugh laugh

#121744 - 10/01/09 01:32 PM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: Rick_D]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
Originally Posted By Rick_D
Y'all are trying to get me deaded! How can I hike from inside a box?

Sheesh!

p.s. REI, it turns out, carries this thing. REI is known to occasionally spew forth 20% off everything coupons, although "everything" has all kinds of restrictions on electronics. Just sharing information....

Go ahead and get it and then try for the witness protection program. LOL

My better half is not an accountant but she could be the way she manages all the records. I never can slip any credit purchase by her so all online stuff has to have full disclosure. Lucky we both have the same interests and pursuits.

#121955 - 10/05/09 11:52 PM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: Arizona]
CJennings Offline

Loc: Utah
Got my Minimus today and have been playing with it tonight.

The beam is bright, and is very full and uniform. Very solidly built and easy to use and adjust. Typical Surefire quality.

I own several other brands of headlamps which do the job, but this one will probably be the one I grab first.

#121999 - 10/06/09 11:00 PM Re: Saint Minimus [Re: Trailrunner]
lars Offline

Loc: Bay Area
Well, I now have both of them. And as you can obviously guess from this, I'm not married.

But these two are very different animals. The Zebralight is a lot lighter and smaller, while the Minimus is a serious and weighty piece of hardware. Some plusses and minuses from using the Zebra for about 2 years, and both of them on a two week safari trip that I just got back from.

Zebra positives:
-small and lightweight
-even smaller when using the included cord as a headband
-uses AA batteries with are available anywhere, even in rural Tanzania
-glow in the dark attachment

Zebra negatives
-without this weird aluminum snap on piece that I loose all the time it is almost impossible to keep part of the spill beam from getting into my eyes
-at least on the AA model, the 3 levels are all a bit off from being useful. Low is too low for anything but reading a book I hold very close to my eyes. Medium is just a bit below what I'd like to see for walking in a forrest, and high is too much for hiking, and too little for spotting or lighting a hotelroom when the generator dies.
-the beam color can only be described as nasty. Very blue, very "artificial". It makes for a very flat view.

Minimus positives
-no spill beam in the eyes
-much brighter than the nominal 50% difference in lumen suggests
-much better beam color
-very adjustable output
-bean shape is much more useful than the Zebralight. It's rectangular and weighted towards the center.

Minimus negatives
-much heavier
-much larger. The Zebra is basically the size of a AA, I'd guess that the Minimus with headband has at least 5 times the volume of the Zebra with cord
-uses 123A which are almost impossible to get except in specialty stores
-more expensive

Anyway, for me, the Minimus is the one I'll take on trips in the future, unless I just go with my old Fenix flashlight. But YMMY, and if you are trying to shave ounces, this is probably not the light for you.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum