Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121749 - 10/01/09 03:16 PM California Says No More Camping Reservations
NiytOwl Offline

Loc: California
[RANT WARNING]

This morning I tried to reserve a campsite for my family's spring camping trip. Whoops! No can do. The reservation system says that it is no longer taking reservations for that park.

So after enduring another 5 minutes of auto-prattle from their voice mail system (doesn't even present you with a menu until you listen to the whole useless message), I finally talk with a real person who is just as clueless as to why I can't reserve a spot, other than "the system just won't allow it anymore". Don't they tell the employees anything these days?

I suppose someone is going to say that somehow the park reservation system costs the state more money to operate than it takes in. I thought it actually helped less desirable parks fill up, because campers seeing that the nicer parks are full will look for alternatives. It also saves a lot of frustration - remember driving to a park and seeing "Campground Full" on the entry kiosk? Guess the state park system thinks we like that retro feeling.

First they raise the camping and use fees over 40%, then they cut back on the services, and now they axe the reservations. I think this spring we're just going to skip the camping and take the kids to Disneyland.

[/RANT WARNING]

#121755 - 10/01/09 05:22 PM Re: California Says No More Camping Reservations [Re: NiytOwl]
lori Offline

There's a list of state parks taking reservations here.

When not in a national park I tend to go to national forests and wilderness areas that never require or need reservations to camp - perhaps there are some of those regions within a reasonable distance you could look at? There are a ton of car/RV campgrounds around Huntington Lake in Sierra NF, for example, but one can easily drive out on some of the NF roads nearby and car camp in any accessible area for free.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#121756 - 10/01/09 06:12 PM Re: California Says No More Camping Reservations [Re: NiytOwl]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I dunno much about it, other than the parks system has been in flux for the last half year awaiting clarity on their budget and revised mission. Here's the Parks & Rec announcement:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=737

I see the reservation system itself is provided by a vendor:

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDirectoryList.do?contractCode=ca

Sad thing is the entire parks budget is a fraction of a percent of the state budget. They're being used as a high-profile prop by the administration and legislature.

#121777 - 10/02/09 12:33 PM Re: California Says No More Camping Reservations [Re: NiytOwl]
hatidua Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By NiytOwl

First they raise the camping and use fees over 40%, then they cut back on the services, and now they axe the reservations.

I was born/raised in CA and didn't leave until after I'd been married a few years but the view from outside of that state is pretty amazing. The folk running CA are bound and determined to screw it up as bad as they possibly can - and they look to be succeeding rather well.

#121793 - 10/03/09 01:12 AM Re: California Says No More Camping Reservations [Re: hatidua]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
OK--I live in California, so I am going to suggest that most of the problem is the people who live here. They want more services, and they want lower taxes. And somehow they think the math is going to work on that.

And while our politicians are doing a pretty ridiculous job of making this a partisan issue, the real problem is that there isn't enough money...but everybody still wants all the services.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#121812 - 10/03/09 12:35 PM Re: California Says No More Camping Reservations [Re: balzaccom]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
they think the math is going to work on that.

And, of course, when you elect a bunch of folks who tell voters that the math will work on that, you end up with a legislature full of incompetants and liars. Same story all over the country, really.

#121847 - 10/04/09 02:39 AM Re: California Says No More Camping Reservations [Re: aimless]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I too live in CA and agree about the whole services v taxes argument. CA has a screwed up budget process where the minority can block the budget because it requires a 2/3 vote to pass.

With Prop 13, taxes are kept artificially low given the demand for services. I haven't tried the reservation system, so no ideas on that. I don't get out that much, but at Yosemite in winter in the high country (Badger Pass area), no reservations needed at all. Just show up. The Valley sites use a reservation system, but not sure if that is all year round. The info is on the Yosemite vendor's website.

#121858 - 10/04/09 11:53 AM Re: California Says No More Camping Reservations [Re: TomD]
stingray4540 Offline

Loc: South Bay, CA
Funny, I often wish to have LESS services.

In fact, I would rather pay them to do less. Quit paving trails in all the nicest spots, the beauty of nature is ruined by the pavement, gift shops and throngs of overweight slobbering tourists!

I say leave the wilderness alone! Let the people who are willing to put in the extra effort to get there, enjoy it and take care of it.

It kills me every time I put money in an envelope, that I'M paying to ruin such a beautiful piece of wilderness.

I would pay double, for them to tear out the paved paths, and the gift shops, just leave a dirt trailhead parking lot, and a porta-pottie in the parking lot. The money I pay can go to 2 or 3 employees who's only job is to go clear a tree off the trial when it's reported by a hiker.

P.S. I'm also in California.

Edited by stingray4540 (10/04/09 11:53 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum