Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123330 - 11/03/09 04:02 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. + Milk question? [Re: bbcg59]
gmagnes Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
Checked Organic Direct, but they don't list any Mt. Hagen coffee. There is another brand of Organic, freeze dried coffee for $3-4 for 3.5 ozs., but they seem to have discontinued the Mt. Hagen or at least be totally out of it.

By the way, I checked with my local Starbucks, and the Via is supposed to come out with a decaf version in November sometime. As others have noted, VIA is a step above other instants that I've tried, but like all of the Starbucks coffee, if I drink the caffinated version after dinner, I won't sleep for days.
On a related note, can someone help me out with their solution for milk or cream for coffee on multi day trips. I've recently used the small containers from Burger King, and they seem to have lasted more than one day, but I'm never sure what can be used over several days without spoiling and what can't.
Thanks,
Gerry

#123376 - 11/04/09 04:00 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. + Milk question? [Re: gmagnes]
acronym Offline

Loc: Boston - MA
Land o' lakes Mini Moos - shelf life is listed as 2 months unrefrigerated.

I've used some over 4 months old before I read the expiration date, I think I'm

#123653 - 11/11/09 11:40 AM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: Zalman]
Furlough Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia
Originally Posted By Zalman
Starbucks was outlawed in my town, but they exploited a loophole and managed to set up a 12' square store inside the existing Safeway.

I will have to visit our Safeway or Giant SB stands to say if they have it and give it a go.

Furlough

#123995 - 11/18/09 08:29 AM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: phat]
Budzy Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
I used this a couple of weeks ago and it is a great substitute for my regular coffee. The nice thing is that I can leave the mini french press at home.

#124074 - 11/19/09 04:35 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. + Milk question? [Re: gmagnes]
WinterWarlock Offline

Loc: Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By gmagnes
Checked Organic Direct, but they don't list any Mt. Hagen coffee. There is another brand of Organic, freeze dried coffee for $3-4 for 3.5 ozs., but they seem to have discontinued the Mt. Hagen or at least be totally out of it.

Thanks,
Gerry

Just found Mt Hagen on Amazon ....I bought some of the Via because I thought it was pretty good, but is spendy, so if this is a good alternative thanks for the recommendation.

Wow - just realized this is my first post! What a noob...

Edited by WinterWarlock (11/19/09 04:36 PM)

#124101 - 11/20/09 03:29 AM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: phat]
NiytOwl Offline

Loc: California
Has anyone else tried both the Trader Joe's instant coffee and Via? I've only had the former, not the latter. IMO TJ's coffee is pretty good for instant. Not as good as what comes out of the espresso machine, but entirely passable as brewed coffee. 3.5 oz for $3 is a lot cheaper than Via.

#124143 - 11/21/09 11:50 AM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: phat]
weight2funratio Offline

Loc: MN
Does anybody else think that maybe coffee is Toxic? I mean, wouldn't it kill you if you had it for breakfast with a handful of MSG coated peanuts?(that's for you Rooketman) wink

#124196 - 11/22/09 04:40 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. + Milk question? [Re: gmagnes]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I heard about the decaf Via, too, but I haven't seen it yet. My experience with Starbucks decaf is that it appears to have about as much caffeine as normal caffeinated coffee from other vendors. Starbucks caffeinated (including Via) has me climbing the walls! If regular coffee at night keeps you awake, I wouldn't use the decaf Via at night.

I'm a cafe au lait/latte drinker at home, but I have not found a dried milk that doesn't taste weird when heated, no matter how strong the coffee. There's also the problem of avoiding lumps. I won't use non-dairy creamer (too much of a purist, I guess). That's why I drink tea when I backpack. Cleanup is much simpler with tea, too--no milk residue! I especially like herbal tea after dinner. Coffee and regular tea both tend to act as diuretics, and I already have to get up enough times during the night without adding them to my evening diet.

Gerry, I suggest you try a bunch of different kinds of non-dairy creamer and dried milk (buy the smallest packages you can find) at home and see what works best for you. I would think that for a 2-3 day trip the Burger King or similar stuff would keep, unless it's really hot weather. You could keep them wrapped in something in the middle of your pack during the day to help keep them cool.

#124212 - 11/22/09 10:47 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. + Milk question? [Re: OregonMouse]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Just found the decaf Via in the St.Arbuck's at the neighborhood Safeway. Knowing how much caffeine is in their decaff espresso, I won't try it until tomorrow morning. They had only the Italian roast, not the Columbian, in decaf.

EDIT--next day: I tried it for breakfast. The taste of the decaf seems no different from the caffeinated version. It's far superior to most decaf instant. I don't think it's completely decaffeinated, though--neither is the decaf that St.Arbuck's serves in their stores. I didn't get as much of a buzz as when drinking the regular, but there definitely was a buzz that I don't get with other brands of decaf. I wouldn't want to drink it at bedtime. If you have blood pressure problems, you probably want to avoid Starbucks altogether!

Edited by OregonMouse (11/23/09 05:13 PM)
Edit Reason: Additional info

#124350 - 11/24/09 05:38 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: weight2funratio]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Starbucks may be poison !!! America runs on Dunkin crazy

#129553 - 02/26/10 10:25 AM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: phat]
thomasjurisd Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
I just picked up a pack of this today and just wanted to point out that it is not the "instant" flavor crystal stuff most people have come to hate. This is actually just starbucks beans microground to a fine powder, which makes it regular coffee "via" a different transport method in my opinion... I would bet that if you let a cup sit for a day or two some of the powder would settle back to the bottom. This happens to the powder that makes it through my drip makers filter at home when I grind the coffee really fine.

Also, this is my first post so in an attempt to get my two cents worth I'll also mention that this beats the hell out of my old method of grinding my own coffee at home and vacuum sealing it for pack trips. Well worth the buck for convenience. By the way, I hate that stuff made with flavor crystals...doesn't taste at all like coffee to me.

#129962 - 03/03/10 11:51 AM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: orclwzrd]
redroach Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
I steal little packets of splenda from the local Valero station. They have it there for coffee.
Very light.
Two or so do for a cup of coffee

TV

#129996 - 03/03/10 05:56 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: phat]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I used to carry instant but ever since 'Bucks opened a store on the summit of Mt. Whitney I can get fresh brew directly from the source.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#130080 - 03/04/10 03:22 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: Trailrunner]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
TR I think we oughta strap on our guns and climb up there right now. goodjob

#130241 - 03/05/10 08:23 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: Jimshaw]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Well, how 'bout the convergence?

Via&Backpackermag&Seattle Times

Cheers,

#130754 - 03/15/10 06:47 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: Rick_D]
Rick_D Offline

Boiling and stirring too much work?

Well Sparky, there's an alternative:

Inhale your joe?

#130764 - 03/15/10 09:57 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: thomasjurisd]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
For what its worth, Bigfoot gave me a packet of via and I had fine grounds in the bottom of the cup. So is this a suspension or a solution? I don't think such a small amount of ground coffee could be so strong. perhaps it is an "augmented" ground coffee... blush

I just carry original coffee mate non-dairy creamer because I'm lactose intolerant. I also use it on my instant oatmeal.
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (03/15/10 09:59 PM)

#130767 - 03/15/10 10:45 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Jimshaw
For what its worth, Bigfoot gave me a packet of via and I had fine grounds in the bottom of the cup. So is this a suspension or a solution? I don't think such a small amount of ground coffee could be so strong. perhaps it is an "augmented" ground coffee... blush

The pack says it's instant and "microground" coffee - so I'd say yeah - there's real ground coffee in there too.. I notice the bit of very fine ground in the bottom too.

Browse my pictures

#130803 - 03/16/10 01:26 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: phat]
Rick_D Offline

Hmm, I'd assumed it was just de-watered "French press" coffee to explain the solids, but instant+"microground" sounds more interesting.

I'm thankful for the Costco tip, as it's quite a bit cheaper from there. They need to add Italian roast to their selection, though.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By phat
Originally Posted By Jimshaw

The pack says it's instant and "microground" coffee - so I'd say yeah - there's real ground coffee in there too.. I notice the bit of very fine ground in the bottom too.

#131093 - 03/22/10 06:26 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. + Milk question? [Re: OregonMouse]
ndsol Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
My experience with Starbucks decaf is that it appears to have about as much caffeine as normal caffeinated coffee from other vendors. Starbucks caffeinated (including Via) has me climbing the walls! If regular coffee at night keeps you awake, I wouldn't use the decaf Via at night.

I understand how decaf might be higher compared to other vendors, but since federal regulations require that in order to label coffee as "decaffeinated" that coffee must have had its caffeine level reduced by no less than 97.5 percent, I don't see how it can reach regular coffee levels.

#132407 - 04/20/10 04:35 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: orclwzrd]
redroach Offline

Tiny packets of Splenda that you take from the gas station or Chick Filet

TV

#132410 - 04/20/10 05:53 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: phat]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I tried a little experiment when camping last weekend.
I brought Hills Brothers regular grind coffee, some Kona coffee beans I'd ground into a fine dust, and some Folgers instant. A couple beans worth of the Kona dust in a teaspoon of the instant Folgers tasted almost like the Via. The kona dust did sink to the bottom of the cup, like the Via.
I made a big pot of cowboy coffee with the Hills Bros. and 1/3rd Kona, all settling to the bottom of the pot after a few minutes. Via knockoff is fairly easy to make.

#132600 - 04/23/10 09:38 PM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: Dryer]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
yeah, I'm seriously contemplating trying this same trick.

1/3rd real beans eh?
Browse my pictures

#132611 - 04/24/10 12:36 AM Re: Starbucks VIA instant.. ok. wow.. [Re: phat]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
1/3rd real beans eh?

No....2-3 beans ground to super fine powder. My grinder pulverizes beans very fine. Screen out the bigger chunks and discard. Mix the bean powder with a teaspoon of instant. Experiment around. It's hard to go wrong...all good.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum