Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121748 - 10/01/09 03:14 PM Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/23-6
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Just got back from my first "extra" days off since arriving in Denver last June, and doing Seg. 12 (and a quarter) of the Colorado Trail in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness.

Four of us went, including two newbies (father & son) and my buddy JJ, who hadn't bp'd since 2002. I outfitted 'em all with my extra gear (I need help -- mental if not financial help) and we had a great time.

That's kevonionia, left, prehike, with my new GoLite Pinnacle (loved it!), new TR z-lite pad (a bit narrow, but no complaints.) My TT Cloudburst 2 didn't keep this former Florida boy warm enuf in this wx -- has got me looking for a good, light 3-season tent.)

No matter how many times told, I still am in shock with the vagaries of Colorado weather. 85F one day, cold the next. Snow/sun/snow/sun -- and that in an hour on the trail. But I love it and this place is so beautiful and has so many places to hike, even when it turns out to be "Plan B" like our hike did. Hiking in snow was new to me, and this being the season's first real snow, it never was near deep enough to require snowshoes -- just made the trees, especially the blazin' aspens, more gorgeous.

The full trip report (more of a photo journal) is HERE.

Day 2.

Day 2.

Heading down and out for the Avalanche trailhead on Day 4.

I'm ready to get some snowshoes and head back out! awesome

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#121768 - 10/02/09 07:59 AM Re: Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/23-6 [Re: kevonionia]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Very nice trip report. I have spent some time in the Buena Vista area and really like it. Tried to summit Mt Yale but got turned around at 13.5K due to a T-storm. You are right, the shoulder season is very fickle.

#121774 - 10/02/09 12:04 PM Re: Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/23-6 [Re: kevonionia]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Very interesting. The mountains in CO do the same as Lake Michigan does in MI. It can change the weather while you are eating lunch.

#121776 - 10/02/09 12:06 PM Re: Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/23-6 [Re: kevonionia]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
I don’t know where you find the time to do those awesome trip reports!
It looks like an excellent place to backpack.

You had me chuckling:
“Suited up, sun out.”
“Studying the translucency of beef jerky”

I might have missed it but what were the temperature ranges?

And how did you sleep on a z-rest? I have an older model and it is hard.

Thanx,
-Barry

#121779 - 10/02/09 02:45 PM Re: Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/2 [Re: BarryP]
hatidua Offline

Loc: Colorado
-enjoyed reading that report, might have to give that area a try.

#121780 - 10/02/09 03:23 PM Re: Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/23-6 [Re: BarryP]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Hey Barry:

Daytime temps were 30's up to upper 60s on that last leg down into Middle Cottonwood on Sat. Temps at night were low-30s at N. Cottonwood, to low, low 20s at the two higher campsites. I definitely want a shoulder-season tent.

My new long z- sleeping pad was okay -- a little stiff. If I wasn't such a cheapskate, I'd get a neo-air. Was it TomD that recommended an air on top of a closed-cell pad in winter? I'm sure I will eventually get a neo-air when they're $50 on Steep & Cheap. wink wink

I swear that at the hot springs I saw people floating on neo-airs, easily id'd because of those horizontal tubes. I hijacked one from a little kid to inspect it (and had to give it back when he went crying to his biker-dad --crybaby!), but before I returned it I was able to peel off this tacky label that said, quote, "Heaby Dudy Hot Spring Air Mattress," and there underneath was the TR neo-air logo. I asked the manager at the hot springs front desk, and she said that they get them in bulk direct from China for $15 each. Guess I shoulda bought one, or tried to sneak off with that kid's when they went up for an ice cream. Okay, okay, I did make up this entire paragraph. blush blush I'm just jealous.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#122166 - 10/11/09 02:16 PM Re: Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/23-6 [Re: kevonionia]
Dondo Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Kevon, I really enjoyed your photo journal. It looks like it was great trip. Sleeping on a Z-lite? Boy, you really are a tough guy. After a trip last week, I finally broke down (wimped out?) and bought a big cushy air mattress.

#122170 - 10/11/09 03:54 PM Re: Colorado Trail, Segment 12 (and a quarter) 9/23-6 [Re: kevonionia]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Nice trip and great report, Kev.

Also a good example of listening to that inner voice we all have and going for Plan B rather than forcing Plan A.

I really liked the picture of the fallen stump in the snow.
It looks like a cow skull (with horns).

Tango

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum