Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120775 - 09/12/09 03:14 PM Favorite Trail Pants?
Modrendayhippie Offline

Loc: Alabama
Hi,
I'm an extreamly new member, and this is my first post, so please stick with me.

My currunt pair of trail pants are at the very end of their lifetime. I was wondering what are your favorite, most affordable, pair of trail pants for warm-cool climates. I was thinking about getting a pair of Columbia Silver Ridge II (convertible). Let me know what you think.

#120783 - 09/12/09 04:00 PM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: Modrendayhippie]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Most of my hiking is summer hiking in Oregon, so it fits your warm/cool profile. I generally wear REI Sahara convertible pants. They work for me. But then, anything similar would probably work just as well.

With convertible pants, the thing to watch for are where the seams hit your thighs, and any signs of poor finish-work there that might irritate your skin as you walk. Other than that, the ease of taking the lower pant legs on and off while you're wearing footwear.

#120788 - 09/12/09 04:55 PM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: Modrendayhippie]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Welcome to the forum.

My favorite hiking zip-offs finally gave up the ghost last week when I put my finger thru the fabric just above the left leg zipper. They were cheapies that were two tone from me washing the shorts alot more than the legs, but I'm not out to make a fashion statement on the trail other than I have none. smirk

I've got a couple other pairs that I'll wear now, but have been searching for replacements. As far as non-cotton, nylon convertible pants go, for a tight budget, I've found everything from $13 ones, to $60 ones (something from Mountain Hardware for less than $100?? No, it's true!)

Hope you get some responses (for ulterior motives.)

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#120790 - 09/12/09 05:47 PM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: Modrendayhippie]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
My favorite trail pants are shorts. if the weather gets cooler, I wear long johns under my shorts for extra warmth and bonus style points. For skiiing, I put wind pants over the shorts and long johns.

#120795 - 09/12/09 08:41 PM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: Modrendayhippie]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I wear used wind pants that I find in 2nd hand stores. They are uncoated and unlined nylon and were originally sold as running pants in most cases.

I wear a medium but I buy extra large. The extra size gives me a lot of blousyness and they are comfortable to wear even in hot weather.

They are becoming harder to find. I may have to buy lined ones and take out the lining. One also has to be careful that they aren't made of coated material which makes them unsuitible for hot weather.

Most pairs I buy only cost a few dollars.

My wife says they are not very fashionable but they sure are comfortable and functional.

#120796 - 09/12/09 08:58 PM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: DJ2]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Forget pants altogether!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's what i use for most of my trips unless it snows or is very cold/rainy:

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Stillwa...%20Thrifty-Kilt

Mountain Hardwear is coming out with a new Mountain Kilt that will actually have pleats. It should be out in January. Kilts RULE! So functional and comfortable.

Be a man and ditch the pants wink

BF cool

Edited by bigfoot2 (09/12/09 08:59 PM)

#120797 - 09/12/09 08:59 PM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: DJ2]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I wear Mountain Hardware Canyon pants. Between the bugs and my propensity to sun burn, I need long pants. If it is really cold out, I switch to an old pair of Sportive built polyester pants sold by LL Bean many years ago. These are the same pants I ski in because the cut the wind while still breathing decently in cold weather, don't absorb moisture and stretch.

#120799 - 09/12/09 09:09 PM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: Modrendayhippie]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
On most trips I use Schoeller climbing pants. I have two pair of zip-offs and two pair of regular. They are expensive but are tough as nails and good for off-trail bushwhacking. They are expensive ($120 range) but last forever. I do a lot of high altitude travel where it is often windy and cold. Zip-offs are good for the Sierra where it is 90+ at the trailhead and near freezing at 14,000 feet. I am really cold-blooded - would freeze if all I had were shorts. As for the weight, about 12oz (Mammut)-16 oz (REI). I do not mind extra weight in clothes I wear - they are warm enough that I can go with lighter long johns that I carry on my back.

In the "old days" I used the wool long-johns, shorts and wind pants combination. You use the shorts over the long johns. This is a very "Pacific NW" 1960's look! In my old NOLS days (Rocky Mountains - high altitude)in the 1970's we used army surplus wool pants (very cheap), long gaiters, and light wind pants (both home-made). All the pants were double material in the seat.

#120801 - 09/12/09 09:29 PM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Maybe we should invite Bigfoot along on a Wind Rivers trip in his kilt? The bugs would be so happy they wouldn't bother the rest of us! We might also get to witness literally the freezing off of a certain part of his anatomy? crazy

#120809 - 09/12/09 11:44 PM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: OregonMouse]
Modrendayhippie Offline

Loc: Alabama
That's a pretty good idea! But, I would really like to see Bigfoot down here in Alabama where the Mosquitos are as big as hummingbirds. Well, I may be exaggerating just a bit, but there is no way that you could survive down here during the summer with a kilt. It doesn't matter how much bug spay you have. Mabey at higher altitudes, but not here.

#120811 - 09/13/09 12:07 AM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: Modrendayhippie]
Echterling Offline

Loc: USA
My favorites:

Cheap nylon running shorts if the weather is warm, bugs minimal to non-existent, and I'm staying on trail. Light and most comfortable option.

TNF convertible cargo pants. I wear these when I have to travel a lot to get to my destination. I need a new pair, they are well worn and patched.

5.11 Tactical Taclite Pro pants are my choice if I'm bushwhacking. They hold up really well for serious off trail use. No patches or tears on mine yet.

#120826 - 09/13/09 02:39 AM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: OregonMouse]
bigfoot2 Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Maybe we should invite Bigfoot along on a Wind Rivers trip in his kilt? The bugs would be so happy they wouldn't bother the rest of us! We might also get to witness literally the freezing off of a certain part of his anatomy? crazy

To all of you who don't believe me that a kilt is the perfect outdoor sports garment ever, i say this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wxeV5Tf3Fo

Now THAT guy has ball$ wink

Nuff Said grin

BF cool

Edited by bigfoot2 (09/13/09 02:41 AM)

#120828 - 09/13/09 02:57 AM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: bigfoot2]
kevonionia Offline

bf2:

Quote:
Mountain Hardwear is coming out with a new Mountain Kilt that will actually have pleats.

You know it's going to be $20 a pleat from Mountain Hardware, until I can find it in 18 months for $5 a pleat at STP, but that's still $60 a skirt -- I mean kilt. cry cry The clip of that base jump was great.

Thing I don't understand is if you are a good Scotsman-American, why aren't you and them others in kilts sippin' your Macallan at the bar while complainin' about payin' such prices for a kilt?

#120831 - 09/13/09 04:58 AM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: kevonionia]
bigfoot2 Offline

Originally Posted By kevonionia
bf2:

Quote:
Mountain Hardwear is coming out with a new Mountain Kilt that will actually have pleats.

Thing I don't understand is if you are a good Scotsman-American,

Irish/Portugeese, actually. Kilts just plain ROCK! you don't have to be Scottish to wear a kilt wink

BF cool

#120832 - 09/13/09 07:24 AM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: aimless]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
+1 for REI Sahara convertable pants

#120839 - 09/13/09 09:19 AM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: ringtail]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

These days usually MEC tripper pants. I used to wear a sportif convertable all the time, but my last pair died after west coast trail last year and a leaking bottle of chlorine dioxide water purifier in the front pocket (oops), and then they had changed them unfavorably so they didn't fit me decently anymore. For a long long time I wore the venerable MEC rad pants, but a number of years back they horribly herblocked them, removing the nice elastic cuff at the bottom and changing the belt to an elastic.. yuck!

This is about the best thing I can find that fits me well. The real trick I think is finding something comfy that fits and is durable. I perennially have Schoeller pants envy. My problem is I need a pretty low rise pant to fit me, and I've never found a set of Schoeller fabric pants with a cut that fits me - and I'm *NOT* paying $120 for a pair of pants that the crotch hangs down too far smile

I've tried cheapo pants and wind pants, and I'm just too hard on them, I shred them or split them out.

I occasionally wear shorts instead if the weather and bugs allow for it - then it's usually just a pair of lined swim trunks, and if it gets cool then it's shorts over my long underwear, something my wife just looooves when I'm in pictures that way and doesn't believe it's the height of fashion sense on the trail wink

Browse my pictures

#120843 - 09/13/09 10:30 AM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: phat]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
For desert hiking, I like REI Sahara pants.

For general backpacking/hiking, I usually wear the North Face Paramount Pants.

For winter backpacking/snowshoeing, I wear REI Mistral pants.

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#120859 - 09/13/09 02:29 PM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: Modrendayhippie]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
Propper BDU cargo pants
65% poly / 35% cotton Ripstop

Usually cost about $30 per pair new, dry fairly fast, durable, after a couple of washings as comfortable as cotton.

#120876 - 09/13/09 06:15 PM Favorite Trail Pants? "5.11"! [Re: jasonklass]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I really prefer my "5.11" brand of nylon duck tactical law enforcement pants for desert and cooler weather. $50. with double knees and seat plus VERY high quality. Plus 5.11 sells a neoprene pad that fits perfectly in the inside pocket opening of the double knees. Great for rock scrambling trails.

I definitely prefer them over RailRiders for their design & construction and fortheir lower price.

Eric

#120916 - 09/14/09 11:44 AM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: PerryMK]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
My BDU's take longer to dry than my nylon hiking pants, but they do dry faster than jeans.

I bought a pair of store brand pants from Academy Sports for about $20. They are the only ones I have tried, other than BDU's, jeans, and cotton canvas.

#120919 - 09/14/09 12:05 PM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: Modrendayhippie]
deliriousNomad Offline

Loc: Matthews, NC
In general - I use running shorts (like Nike or Adidas) with a built-in lining (these dry very quickly), and carry a pair of Patagonia rain pants that I can slide on if I get cool - or if it rains.
In winter - I have a pair of MontBell down pants for those cold mornings/evenings around camp...

#120930 - 09/14/09 05:05 PM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: deliriousNomad]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Unlined running shorts down to the 40s - with DryDucks for wind pants and maybe long underwear in really cold weather and at camp. The Dry Ducks keep the bugs off.

Edited by Spock (09/14/09 05:06 PM)

#120973 - 09/15/09 04:46 PM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: Spock]
kevonionia Offline

I think I found my new favorite pants -- and jacket -- yesterday. I was perusing the rack and found a Sierra Designs microlight jacket in size large, color carbon/gris. It was a perfect fit for me when layering. A few hangers down was pair of Sierra Designs size-medium, color gray microlight pants that also fit me perfect. Looking them over closely, I was surprised to not find the SD cardboard tags hanging on them.

At the register I was told that since it was Monday, it was Seniors' Discount Day for those over 55. I showed her my driver's license, which has my 55th b-day on 9/18. I asked her to spot me 3 days and she said she'd be happy to do it. So I got those two virtually new SD items at the Goodwill for $2.00 each. I'm not happy about this particular b-day, but I sure think I'll get into that 50-percent-off Monday discount thing. grin grin

Who says you can't hike stylishly in a recession? grin

#120975 - 09/15/09 05:17 PM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: phat]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Phat, those are nice pants but for me not enough pockets.I have gotten accustomed to the "cargo" pants because I love the pants with the extra pockets.I can always find a use for the pockets with keeping the things that I like handy and easy to get to...sabre11004.. awesome awesome awesome awesome

#120976 - 09/15/09 05:23 PM Re: Favorite Trail Pants? [Re: kevonionia]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Right now, I am using a pair of Magellan's and the are cheap too, but seem to be wearing just fine. I had a little rough downward trekking on a property that I have and ended up on my booty a couple of times and they seemed to have worn just fine. They did get dirty (when do you trek and not get dirty) but they seem to wear great. If they continue to hold up like they have, I just go for another pair...sabre11004.... goodjob goodjob goodjob goodjob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum