Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117260 - 06/14/09 09:47 PM What do you use for a summer sleeping bag?
ttaboro Offline

Loc: Middle Tennessee
Particularly interested in folks who would be where it will be hot even at night.

Currently using a Montbell SS UL 30 degree bag at 1 pound 7 ounces. I used it first last Labor Day weekend and was hot in it. I am worried about going into the Smokies this July. Do you think I would even need a bag? Suggestions?

#117261 - 06/14/09 10:02 PM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: ttaboro]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
WM Megalite regular and a lightweight roll top dry bag stuff sack.

I DID have a Neo-Air mattress but returned it & will continuue using my Thermarest Lite full length. So that's my summer sleep system.

Eric

#117262 - 06/14/09 11:12 PM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: 300winmag]
Fishnaked Offline

Loc: West
Originally Posted By 300winmag

I DID have a Neo-Air mattress but returned it & will continuue using my Thermarest Lite full length.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Just curious as to why you took your neo-air back?

Thanks.

#117266 - 06/15/09 12:20 AM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: ttaboro]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

We need to know how hot is hot (for you) and at what elevation you'll be camping.

I've camped in one spot (Inks Lake, TX) where it was 92F at 10pm with 60% humidity. I slept in my shorts & t-shirt in my hammock and tolerated the night. My ground dwelling, tent using friends sweltered. About 4am, ended up pulling up a fleece blanket and slept fine.

#117269 - 06/15/09 01:02 AM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: ttaboro]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
In summer I often hike for a week at a time at elevations in excess of 6000 ft. in the Cascades or the Wallowas. Long range forecasting being what it is, I don't feel entirely safe with less than my REI Sub-Kilo bag on longer hikes.

The offical rating is 20 degrees, but that is eyewash. It's about a 30 degree bag, but can go lower with judiciously chosen clothes worn inside it.

Most of the time in July or August this is overkill -- but when the hard frost rimes the ground, it seems worth it.

#117271 - 06/15/09 03:23 AM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: aimless]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
In places like scandinavian countries, anything from near warm, normally cool nights, possible frost during the cold spells, a down quilt will do (I do not go high in mountains...)
Anywhere else, synthetic quilt, I have to choose between two of then, a very thin one or a thicker one I use as 3-seasons in moderate climates.

#117279 - 06/15/09 09:09 AM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: ttaboro]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
When I was in Texas, I bought a Slumberjack 60 degree bag.
Slumberjack Minaret
It doesn't have any insulation, just an inner and outer shell.

Thinking about it now, I am sure a simple wool blanket, or even fleece blanket will do.

#117281 - 06/15/09 09:45 AM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: finallyME]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
It can stay pretty hot here in the Southeast, even at elevation. I bring my Megalite (30-F rating) and just drape it over me as a quilt. Pretty versatile.

I suppose I could buy a 45-50F rated bag, but I'd rather save the money.

#117282 - 06/15/09 10:07 AM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: ttaboro]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies

#117285 - 06/15/09 10:51 AM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: ttaboro]
Roocketman Offline

One way to "lighten up" a bag is to find a way to make it ventilate more.

I have used boots to prop up the sides of a bag to get more airflow around the body, and there are bound to be other tricks to try based on somehow raising up parts of the bag.

It is amazing how cooling it can be if you only cover the top of your body (Torso) and leave your legs in the breeze.

There is no law that demands you sleep with the bag completely covering you..... and there is no law that requires only ham and eggs or bacon sausage or pancakes for breakfast. Many people live as if such laws existed.

#117296 - 06/15/09 02:53 PM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: ttaboro]
Buck06 Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Army poncho liner works best for me in the hot and humid southeast.

#117303 - 06/15/09 08:39 PM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: ttaboro]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#117309 - 06/15/09 10:05 PM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: ttaboro]
ttaboro Offline

Loc: Middle Tennessee
I will mostly be in Tennessee in the Smokies or Big South Fork or South Cumberland mostly. The Smokies would be the only place of any real elevation and that would only be 5-6k at the most.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I also have a 35 degree REI down bag that weighs 1lb. 3oz. I may just take it and use it unzipped like a quilt. It would be about as light as a small fleece blanket and probably the same size stuffed.

#117524 - 06/23/09 09:26 AM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: ttaboro]
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
I'd never thought of it, but saw it in this month's Backpacker (who knew??). The idea of taking just a sleeping bag liner seems like it would work well in some situations, especially if you've paired it with a baselayer at least in your pack just in case. It seems like a good option for the area I frequent (I'm going out for an overnight tonight and the low is only going to be 66 F!). Sometimes during the summer a sleeping bag just seems like overkill!

#117529 - 06/23/09 11:15 AM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: ttaboro]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
wally world blue foam pad , wally world rectangular fleece bag with full leanghth zipper and two 6 mil drumliners that double as groundsheet/ emergency bivey. I carry a hat even in summer and fleace pajamma pants and light fleace jacket that makes a nice pillow set one between the nees and one under hed being a side sleeper. I found a pillow between the nees helps me sleep better if i get cold i either put on the jaket/pants or use the bags to help seal in the warmth. verry versitile and extreamly cheep summer setup. Its this setup in a crude jansport pack and some cliff bars and a few bottles of watter that started all this madness.

Edited by Samoset (06/23/09 11:26 AM)

#117596 - 06/24/09 06:32 PM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: ttaboro]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Depending on anticipated temps, in ascending order:

JRB Shenandoah quilt.

Cheapie fleece sleeping bag.

Silk or cotton liner.

......or any combination of the above.

Sometimes in the desert.....nothing at all, including clothing. It's just too hot when the lows are high 80's.

I found that quilts are very versatile for warm weather. They can be ventilated at night and then drawn tight to ward off the morning chill.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#120111 - 08/31/09 03:56 PM Re: What do you use for a summer sleeping bag? [Re: finallyME]
rapchizzle Offline

Loc: Charleston SC
when I sleep in my hammock, I go for a bedsheet or fleece blanket

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum