Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119943 - 08/26/09 10:17 PM leptospirosis filter
mantashrimpman Offline

Loc: honolulu
is there any backpacking water filter that will filter out leptospirosis?

#119944 - 08/26/09 10:39 PM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: mantashrimpman]
lori Offline

All of the filters will remove bacteria. If you are looking for the most thorough filter, the First Need purifier would be "it" - it also filters viruses. Not even a bacterium smaller than .2 microns would slip through.

It appears that it's most often a danger when you're swimming in the water. So filter and don't swim.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#119949 - 08/27/09 02:59 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: lori]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I'm not sure that even the First Need will "filter" viruses; most of them are smaller than 0.2 microns (200 nanometers). Viruses are generally less than 100 nanometers in diameter. For example, the equine encephalitis virus is about 60 nanometers in diameter while the bacteriophage viruses Ψ174 and PRD1 are 23 and 63 nanometers in diameter respectively. From what I have been able to find, Leptospirosis is less than 25 nanometers in diameter. Perhaps the first need has some sort of iodine bed treatment for viruses in addition to its filter.

A micron is 1/1,000,000 of a meter, a nanometer is 1/1,000,000,000 of a meter.

The best thing to use against virus is something like ClO2 (Micropur) or UV light (Steripen). Personally, I would not trust claims about filtering viruses.

#119950 - 08/27/09 05:46 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: Pika]
leadfoot Offline

Loc: Virginia
Leptospirosis is a bacteria. It is found in rodents, dogs and also humans. You can call the manufacturer of whatever filter you have/want and see if it covers this type of bug.

#119951 - 08/27/09 08:25 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: mantashrimpman]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I use bleach to kill anything the filter didn't get, if I filter at all. Any of the chemical water treatments should do the trick. Bleach is cheap and is what my muni water department uses.

#119955 - 08/27/09 09:22 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: Dryer]
lori Offline

Bleach doesn't do much for crypto or giardia, per the CDC. Bleach in amounts that would be effective against cysts would make the water undrinkable.

#119956 - 08/27/09 09:28 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: Pika]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Pika
I'm not sure that even the First Need will "filter" viruses;]

"The First Need Deluxe Water purifier has a 0.1 micron carbon matrix filter element which cranks out a rapid 1.8 liters per minute. "

test data

It's the main selling point of the purifier.

#119960 - 08/27/09 09:59 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: leadfoot]
Pika Offline

Quote:
Leptospirosis is a bacteria. It is found in rodents, dogs and also humans.

Yeah, I didn't mention that did I? Still, the data I found indicate that it is small, around 25 micrometers in diameter.

If I suspect that there is virus contamination of the water I am using, I will treat with a chlorine source after filtering to remove potential Giardia or Cryptosporidium cysts.

When I was working in Morocco a while back, a colleague got hepatitis from drinking filtered, non-chlorinated water. I don't want to go through what he did so I double treat if at all in doubt.

Just generally, I tend to be a bit skeptical of a lot of filter claims. I mean, they are not the ones who suffer if their product is, for some reason, slightly below specifications, are they?

Edited by Pika (08/27/09 09:59 AM)

#119966 - 08/27/09 10:26 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: Pika]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Pika

Just generally, I tend to be a bit skeptical of a lot of filter claims. I mean, they are not the ones who suffer if their product is, for some reason, slightly below specifications, are they?

I think about this a lot too. But I also think about the real vs imagined prevalence of "stuff" in the water and the folks I've hiked with who just dip water out and drink who are still out hiking and not sitting on the throne at home suffering for it.

Selection of water source and being prepared if the only thing available is a tepid, low flow spring that's being collected in a moss filled trough is about it. I have added Micropur tabs to filtered water before, I'll probably add boiling to that if I'm really skeeved by the look of the source. Something to be said for educating yourself on water sources prior to the trip.

#119967 - 08/27/09 10:39 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: Pika]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Actually, most municipal water departments use chlorine dioxide, not sodium hypochlorite (chlorine bleach), which, I've been told, can leave some nasty compounds behind it.

My-daughter-the-veterinarian told me that to prevent leptospirosis, I should keep my dog out of stagnant ponds or small lakes that have no outlet, especially when cattle are present, and treat his water from such sources. This is a good rule for humans, too! There is a canine vaccine for leptospirosis, but it often causes severe reactions and, per the University of California at Davis School of Veterinary Medicine is not very effective. My dog is actually owned by Canine Companions for Independence, even though he was rejected as an assistance dog, and they do not allow their dogs to get the lepto vaccine.

I would assume that the same rules apply to humans. If you're in cattle country, take along some chlorine dioxide tablets (I take some anyway in case something happens to my filter), and resist swimming in lakes with no outlet. The filter will take care of the protozoa that chemical treatment takes 4 hours to zap, so you only need 20-30 minutes' chemical treatment to kill bacteria and viruses.

I did a little googling but couldn't find out if lepto bacteria are of a size that most filters will remove. Thanks for finding this out!

#119976 - 08/27/09 11:59 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: Pika]
leadfoot Offline

Loc: Virginia
I agree with ya, Pika. smile Some viruses are pretty small and not filterable. I use my Steripen or the tablets, depending on where I am and how much water is available.

#119977 - 08/27/09 12:18 PM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: lori]
Pika Offline

Quote:
Something to be said for educating yourself on water sources prior to the trip.

Right. I think this is one of the benefits of experience; thinking about water sources before the trip. It is almost mandatory here in Arizona. I do a lot of spring, early summer and autumn hiking in desert mountains and cattle country. Mostly there is no flowing water, it is usually found only in water pockets or murky pools. So, I generally and routinely use a filter followed with Micropur tablets. When the water, after filtering, is the color of urine, or tea, one feels the need to do a bit more with it before drinking. I need to clean the filter a lot also; up to two times per liter. Once in the Grand Canyon I took water from a small pool with a dead coyote floating in it: no real alternative. I also carry a lot of water if the need arises.

Sometimes I think a person could gain weight by drinking Arizona mountain water straight, without treatment, if they didn't get sick first. There is probably 100 calories per liter of critterhood swimming in, and just soaking in the sources.

In the summer and early fall, I generally spend 2-3 weeks and 2-3 trips in the Sierra. There, I will use a Steripen or filter when I am mostly in popular (crowded) areas. I like the Steripen but don't trust it entirely. Otherwise, I don't treat the water at all if I have a good idea of what is upstream. On my trips to more remote places, I leave the water treatment machinery at home. If in doubt, I'll drop in a Micropur tablet.

Up until about ten years ago, I never treated my water at all unless it really looked bad. Then I would boil it. I don't recall ever getting sick: well, once when I was in the Army I picked up a case of amoebic dysentery in North Carolina from drinking contaminated water. I suspect that, in over 60 years in the hills, I have developed resistance to some of the more common bugs.

Edited by Pika (08/27/09 12:21 PM)

#119978 - 08/27/09 12:25 PM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: Dryer]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
Lori is correct. Bleach is not considered effective against crypto and giardia. Nor do municipal systems use it. Older systems use cholrine (in gas form, I think) and as time goes on, municipalities are moving to chlorine dioxide which is effective against the above. A prime reason for the change was the breakouts of giardia from treated municipal water of sytems using the older chorine treatments. The incidence of giardia breakouts has been sigificantly reduced with the chlorine dioxide treatments. Many (most?) of the upgraded systems have also added UV treatment as a final 'dose' for the water.

When it comes to filters the main thing is size. What is the size of the threat and does the filter filter out buggies of that size? Specs from the manufacturers I've looked at give that information.

FB

#119980 - 08/27/09 12:47 PM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: OregonMouse]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I'm not sure that's true, at least in the States. I can't name a single California city using it. I believe it fairly common in Europe, but to the best of my knowledge chlorine (either via Cl gas or sodium hypochlorite) and chloramine are the usual chemical treatments here. ClO2 has some issues with transportability and usually must be manufactured on site. It is commonly used in paper manufacturing though.

That's not to say it isn't better than chlorine or chloramine.

Cheers,

Rick

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Actually, most municipal water departments use chlorine dioxide, not sodium hypochlorite (chlorine bleach), which, I've been told, can leave some nasty compounds behind it.

My-daughter-the-veterinarian told me that to prevent leptospirosis, I should keep my dog out of stagnant ponds or small lakes that have no outlet, especially when cattle are present, and treat his water from such sources. This is a good rule for humans, too! There is a canine vaccine for leptospirosis, but it often causes severe reactions and, per the University of California at Davis School of Veterinary Medicine is not very effective. My dog is actually owned by Canine Companions for Independence, even though he was rejected as an assistance dog, and they do not allow their dogs to get the lepto vaccine.

I would assume that the same rules apply to humans. If you're in cattle country, take along some chlorine dioxide tablets (I take some anyway in case something happens to my filter), and resist swimming in lakes with no outlet. The filter will take care of the protozoa that chemical treatment takes 4 hours to zap, so you only need 20-30 minutes' chemical treatment to kill bacteria and viruses.

I did a little googling but couldn't find out if lepto bacteria are of a size that most filters will remove. Thanks for finding this out!

#120005 - 08/27/09 11:12 PM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: Rick_D]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
Ok, we're talking about apples and fish here.

Crypto and giardia are protozoa, not bacteria. They are much more resistant to chemical treatment because they are eukaryotes (i.e. complex organisms).

Leptospirosis is a spirochete (bacteria), which are prokaryotes, or simple organisms. Moreover they are gram positive, so they are more easily destroyed by antimicrobial chemicals.

I took a microbiology class this summer, and one of the exeriments we had to do was test the effectiveness of antimicrobial products on a bacteria. I discovered that chlorine bleach was mildly effective against E. coli, but hydrogen peroxide was extremely effective! I don't recall the water treatment product that contains oxygen, but it is one I would certainly lean toward. I didn't get a chance to test iodine (couldn't find it when I needed it!), but found that grapefruit seed extract was more effective than bleach, and lysol kitchen and bathroom cleaner was not effective at all!

In a similar experiment I found that Vietnamese cinnamon was extremely effective against E. coli (this is the real deal stuff that tastes just like a cinnamon red-hot candy, not the old stale flavorless stuff you get at Costco by the pound). I will be adding more cinnamon to my diet, that's for sure.

MNS

#120013 - 08/28/09 06:56 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: midnightsun03]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
crypto and giardia are also more resistant to chemical due the fact they are in cyst form in the water which protects them.

I think many municipal systems (US) are moving towards a combination of filter and uV.

#120015 - 08/28/09 07:51 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: midnightsun03]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By midnightsun03
Ok, we're talking about apples and fish here.

Crypto and giardia are protozoa, not bacteria. They are much more resistant to chemical treatment because they are eukaryotes (i.e. complex organisms).

It's not apples and fish - it's a matter of being thorough. If you use one water treatment method because it's effective against one of these things, and you come down with the other, you'll wish you had two effective methods to start with. It's important to know what you are using and why. Some methods are partially effective, some are more broadly effective. Personally I'd like to know if something I do is going to involve risk so I can make an informed choice.

Hawaii is an area of high risk for leptospirosis. That doesn't mean there's no risk of other common bacteria, or other "bugs." Avoiding stagnant water is the suggested preventive measure.

"Leptospira organisms are small, filamentous, motile, spirochetes coiled around an axial filament ranging in size from 0.1 to 0.3 µm in width and 6 to 20 µm in length. They are easily killed by disinfectants, heat, drying, and pH values below 6 or above 8."

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26943--,00.html

I think I would filter and use Micropur.

#120016 - 08/28/09 08:44 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: lori]
Dryer Offline

right. filter, then bleach if you don't trust the filter. you're on your own regarding pesticides.

#120017 - 08/28/09 08:55 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: lori]
Dryer Offline

The subject was "leptospirosis", not giardia and crypto, and....bleach is effective against those cysts if given enough time. It's used all over the world.

#120018 - 08/28/09 08:59 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: Fiddleback]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
Nor do municipal systems use it.

Actually, sodium hypochlorite is second to clorine gas in muni usage.
http://www.americanchemistry.com/s_chlorine/sec_content.asp?CID=1133&DID=4530&CTYPEID=109

#120019 - 08/28/09 10:47 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: Dryer]
Fiddleback Offline

The compound is used, yes. But the compound in the form of 'bleach', no.

And again, the trend is towards other, more effective treatments.

FB

Edited by Fiddleback (08/28/09 10:49 AM)

#120020 - 08/28/09 11:43 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: lori]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
It is apples and fish... the question was about leptospirosis, which is a bacteria, and responders started talking about protozoa and viruses, which are managed entirely differently.

I agree that thoroughness is essential in many parts of the world anymore. Just a filter, or just chemical treatment might not be enough for many water sources. If you learn what you might encounter and know your enemy you can be prepared with the right treatment instead of a mixed bag you aren't sure will work.

MNS

#120033 - 08/28/09 06:42 PM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: Fiddleback]
Dryer Offline

Bleach is sodium hypoclorite. Bleach for short. No?
Actually "Bleach" (and they use the word) is used to shock home water wells the world over, as well as swimming pools.

#120054 - 08/29/09 11:38 AM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: Dryer]
Fiddleback Offline

When discussing water treatments I'd say, 'No...sodium hypochlorite is not bleach.' Just as fluoride is not toothpaste and lye is not soap.

Household 'bleach' is generally 3-6% sodium hypochlorite and often contains scent additives which, of course, are not tested for, nor approved for, consumption. In contrast, concentration of the sodium hypochorite used by municipal water utilities generally runs 12-15%. It gained popularity with the utilities not only because it was easier to store than chlorine gas but was also much safer.

Utilities are slow to change and update their systems. But as the changes come, the older chlorine treatments are being replaced by chlorine dioxide which has been shown to be much more effective against buggies such as giardia and crypto. Some locations, which had large, multiple outbreaks of giardia traced to their 'treated' water, have not had a recurrence after switching to chlorine dioxide.

But don't let the word usage/definition issue cloud the issue. While bleach is great for surface disinfection and can be effective against baceria in water, the bottom line is...household bleach should not be relied upon as a water treatment if there is a concern for the presence of giardia or crypto (and probably any other virus as noted in one of the posts above).

FB

#120067 - 08/29/09 07:26 PM Re: leptospirosis filter [Re: Fiddleback]
Dryer Offline

Actually, sodium hypoclorite IS bleach and concentrations vary,

http://www.metrocouncil.org/directions/water/water2007/bleachJan07.htm

it comes unsented, its used by municiple waters systems second only to clorine gas,

http://www.americanchemistry.com/s_chlorine/sec_content.asp?CID=1133&DID=4530&CTYPEID=109

and is recommended by the Red Cross as emergency water treatment.

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/m...00089f0870aRCRD

Fiddleback, where are you getting your data regarding municipalities switching to clorine dioxide? Crypto and giardia are easily filtered, so I don't see the point of chemical treatment for those bugs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum