Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119541 - 08/18/09 06:42 PM Osprey Exos vs. REI Flash 65
glsmaverick Offline

Loc: Grand Blanc MI
So I am looking into a new pack. I have a Kestrel 38 that worked well for the few overnights I have been on but I want to step up to some good through hikes and multi night loops. I have narrowed it down to the two packs listed above. I have a soft spot for Osprey they seem very well made but the price of the REI is really catching my eye. Plus the endorsement from Backpacker doesnt hurt either.

If anyone has tried either or both please comment in if you would please. I don't live anywhere near and REI store so I cannot try out the flash first hand or I would. I have tried on the Exos and the fit is good but the REI is cheaper.

#119547 - 08/18/09 09:55 PM Re: Osprey Exos vs. REI Flash 65 [Re: glsmaverick]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've used an Exos 46 and 58 briefly - the 46 on some 3 - 5 mile dayhikes, and the 58 on a one-night trip (about 10 miles, total.) I ended up passing them along to some folks who wanted to try them, and I settled on a Deuter ACT Lite 50+10.

The 46 and 58 vary only in size and a couple of minor design features (the 58 has a split pocket on the front of the pack, the 46 has a single pocket - that's the biggest difference.) The packbag itself is very nicely done, with 4 outside pockets plus a lid; the "inside-outside" compression strap allows you to run it inside the side pocket, or across the top of the side pocket as you prefer. I always found it very handy to use the long front pocket(s) for storing my tent and tent poles; it was perfect for a Big Agnes Fly Creek, Copper Spur, or Seedhouse solo tent.

So why didn't I like it? Because, as I eventually figured out, this isn't an internal frame pack. It's a high-tech makeover of an external frame pack, but it's still an external frame pack. As a result, you still get a slight bounce in the load, and it tends to move opposite the way you turn (unlike an internal frame, that moves with you.) The suspension didn't impress me. The shoulder straps were fine, and it does have load lifters. However, the hip belt does not wrap all the way around you; instead, there is a section of hipbelt sewn to each side of the frame. The mesh back panel (the "trampoline") is supposed to provide the rest of the wrap.

That doesn't work any better now than it did when I put webbing straps on each side of my old American Camper e-frame pack. Despite the load lifters, I could never get the Exos "hipbelt" to support the load (usually 20 - 25 pounds) adequately. No matter how tightly I pulled the belt, after a mile or two, the load settled onto my shoulders and stayed there; my shoulders always were sore after I carried the pack. I thought it might be that the hipbelt was just a little too lightly constructed. So, I tried an Atmos 50 on a 3 mile hike; it has the same general design, but stiffer shoulder straps and hipbelt material. It didn't make any difference, the load ended up on my shoulders. (Also consistent with my e-frame days: those "split" belts never carried a load as well as the full-wrap belts I eventually discovered on my Camp Trails packs; the full-wrap was completely capable of keeping the load off my shoulders.)

Let me be clear: I'm not trashing the Exos packs (or the Atmos, for that matter.) They are high-quality, well-made, creatively re-designed external frame packs. They have a lot going for them. However, you have to be clear that you're getting an external frame pack; you can't expect it to perform like an internal-frame pack. (Any more than you can expect an internal to perform like an external.) So, in comparing the Flash and Exos packs, just understand that it's not apples to apples.

For myself, I've found I far prefer a traditional internal frame pack, where the hipbelt and backpad are integrated into the structure of the pack. The Deuter pack produced an immediate "wow" when I put it on; it reminded me of the feel of my old Dana Terraplane pack (about 5 pounds lighter, though.) I've had it on 3 dayhikes so far, of 3 - 5 miles, and I hardly know I'm wearing it. My shoulders have yet to become sore, the hipbelt is supportive without being constrictive, and the weight stays where I put it (usually on my hips, with some occasional shifting to the shoulders, then back to the hips.)

I can't speak to the Flash pack series; I've never really looked at them. A quick look at REI's website indicates it's $10 cheaper than the ACT 50+10, and only a few ounces lighter (and it looks like they save it in the suspension, so beware - though it gets high marks from user reviews, so I could be wrong.) The 50+10 is only about 150 cubic inches smaller than the Flash 65. Deuter also makes an ACT 65+10, which is 600 cubic inches larger than the Flash 65; REI carries it, but not the 50+10. The user reviews of the Flash 65 seem pretty positive, overall.

You can make an apples to apples comparison of the Deuter and Flash packs; I can't since I've never used the Flash. If you haven't already ruled out Deuter, you could always order both it and the Flash, and send back the one you don't want.

Edited by Glenn (08/18/09 11:25 PM)

#119564 - 08/19/09 03:23 PM Re: Osprey Exos vs. REI Flash 65 [Re: Glenn]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Glad to have that review on the Exos. I can't abide a pack that won't properly transfer weight to the hipbelt. I agree, the Ospreys are now using a true external frame, regardless of its shape.

I currently own both a Dana Terraplane (for winter camping) and an REI Cruise UL 60, the predecessor to the Flash 65. I just came back from a 5 day, 43 mile backpack in the southern Sierra Nevada where I had to carry a bear can in the Cruise. Worked fine B/C I had a WM Megalite down bag and TT Contrail tent & both took up very little room in teh pack.

My pack has a Velcro adjustable harness and the Flash 65 is a fixed harness so be sure you get the correct torso length if you get that pack. REI makes very durable packs with some nice features.

#119566 - 08/19/09 04:09 PM Re: Osprey Exos vs. REI Flash 65 [Re: 300winmag]
Glenn Offline

The Deuter also has a velcro adjustment for the torso length. It really gives me a excellent custom fit - maybe even better than my old Terraplane (or it could just be that it's 4 or 5 pounds lighter.)

#119583 - 08/19/09 08:26 PM Re: Osprey Exos vs. REI Flash 65 [Re: Glenn]
CWF Offline

Although I like UL, I admit to having a Mystery Ranch Snap Dragon. Although rated at 35L, it is really a 45L plus pack. Not a featherweight but by golly, load it up with 35 pounds and it feels like part of my body. Fully adjustable torso size and I went with a larger belt and shoulder harness.

Sorry - a bit off topic but the last two posts got me thinking. They also make the Big Sky which is rated at 50L but is closer to 60L.

#119625 - 08/20/09 08:13 PM Re: Osprey Exos vs. REI Flash 65 [Re: CWF]
Weldman Offline

Loc: Sunnyvale, Ca

I pickup a Flash 65( large 70L)at a REI gear sale in May , replaced my UL Cruise pack. The Flash has add features:removable( 1.90-2 lb pack)-adjustable Lid( perfect for the Garcia or BV500 ) and straps on the bottom for tent.

Good durable and lite pack for me, fit my needs.

You know if you buy either one at REI.. "100% Return" unless it from a Crash & Dent sale

#119718 - 08/22/09 08:23 PM Re: Osprey Exos vs. REI Flash 65 [Re: Weldman]
grampa Offline

Loc: SoCal
I'm using an Osprey Atmos 50, which is a slightly heavier version of the Exos. External frame? Looks internal to me, and frankly, does a superb job of transferring weight to my hips.

I've got some back problems, and absolutely need to have as much weight as possible moved to my hips. I went through four different packs before trying the Atmos (couldn't find an Exos locally). The Atmos was the first to truly take the weight off my shoulders and put it comfortably on my hips.

But let me say this: the pack person at the shop said I should wear a medium; I looked at the load lifters once the pack was loaded and on me, saw they were horizontal, and went with a large. I don't know if Osprey's measurements are off, but there's no way you can get weight off your shoulders with load lifter straps that aren't anchored high enough.

No problems with bouncing, shifting, or not moving with me.

#119721 - 08/22/09 08:44 PM Re: Osprey Exos vs. REI Flash 65 [Re: Glenn]
lori Offline

I don't think Osprey packs are external frame. The reason it feels like the load moves around is because of the extreme angle of the frame moving the load away from your back. Osprey thinks this makes the pack cooler on the back. On me, the Aura 50 balanced the weight on my hips too well, causing very very sore pressure points and nearly tipping me backward at times on the trail. The load inside wasn't sitting well because the weight doesn't hug the back, and there wasn't adequate room inside for a bear can, either.

The frame itself is integrated into the pack, so it is still an internal frame - just not very comfortable for everyone. Some people find it fits fine, I needed something that kept the weight more balanced and less tip-prone. Granite Gear has a better, more adjustable frame and doesn't use aluminum.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#119722 - 08/22/09 08:59 PM Re: Osprey Exos vs. REI Flash 65 [Re: lori]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
I love the Exos series. My son and i switch off between the Exos 58, a Golite Jam 2 and a Kelty White Cloud pack, depending on the trip length and terrain. I agree that the Exos IS an external frame pack with the frame on the outside. Well, maybe it's a hybrid of the two types. I have always been an external type of guy until recently and the Exos is extremely comfortable for carrying larger loads (just like an external).

BF cool

#119798 - 08/24/09 10:09 AM Re: Osprey Exos vs. REI Flash 65 [Re: glsmaverick]
glsmaverick Offline

So I actually went way out to left field and picked up a Gregory Z55. Its a little smaller than the Exos or REI but I wanted to keep right in the middle of 3-4000ci if possible. The Medium Z55 is at 3350 which is pretty darn close. I figure if I can pull of a weekend trip with a Kestrel 38 (2200) then I should be able to pull off a week or more with 3350!
I havent taken it out yet (just bought it yesterday) but I love the fit; also there are not a lot of bells and whistles, which I like. Its 3lbs 5oz which is a little heavier than I wanted but if you remove the lid it takes it down to a little less than 3lbs. I tried out a Granite Gear and GoLite but I just didnt like the lack of suspension, it just didnt seem as bombproof as the Gregory. Either way just an update on the subject I started. Thanks for everyones advice and I will chime in after I take it out for a trip.

#119800 - 08/24/09 11:50 AM Re: Osprey Exos vs. REI Flash 65 [Re: glsmaverick]
Glenn Offline

I looked at one a few years back; ended up with the Granite Gear Vapor Trail instead. However, I believe it's been re-designed since then (the one I looked at was just called the Z-Pack.) I've heard a lot of good things about them - let us know how it works out for you.

#120009 - 08/28/09 01:40 AM Re: Osprey Exos vs. REI Flash 65 [Re: Glenn]
skinewmexico Offline

I had both an Exos 46 and 58. Great in heat; I think they're brilliant packs. But I couldn't make them fit me. I had some of the previously described problems with keeping weight off my shoulders. I would tighten the belt until I thought the skinny thing would cut me in two, and still no go. Maybe my waist is too big (36"), sold the 58 to a skinny buddy, he thinks it's great . My Gossamer Gear Mariposa is a dream compared to the 46. But I bought a ULA Circuit to get a little more durability. Gotta love those cottage industry guys, call with a question, they call your cell phone to answer.

#130192 - 03/05/10 08:58 AM Re: Osprey Exos vs. REI Flash 65 [Re: glsmaverick]
glsmaverick Offline

I know I am bringing this back from the dead but I just thought I would report on the pack after some good use. I have taken it out on several weekenders and it rules. For ultralighters its too heavy I know but its SOLID. It's basically part of my body once I strap it on. It fits perfectly and I have ran it super lean and loaded to the gills. I went out with my buddy in November and ended up having to carry half of his pack load with mine (for reasons I wont explain) and it handled it no problem. I couldnt even feel the additional weight. I took it through the gorge in KY and beat it up a little and it still looks brand new.

I see that they redesigned it this year which is good. The front stuff pocket is a little akward and I dont really put anything in it for that reason. It looks like that was redesigned for this model year. But I think i will have this pack for years to come. It fits the bill for sure and I have a couple great trips planned this year so I will keep everyone up to speed on its performance!

#130211 - 03/05/10 01:07 PM Re: Osprey Exos vs. REI Flash 65 [Re: grampa]
Glenn Offline

I forgot to get back with you: I never thought about having the wrong size. Also, since my previous experience with it last year, I've lost 50 pounds and 6 inches around the waist. While preparing for a 4-day trip I'm taking in a couple of weeks, I found that the Deuter ACT Lite 50+10 wouldn't hold everything I plan to take. So, I went back and tried the Atmos 50 on - size large this time - and it fits completely different (or I fit it different; not sure which.) I'm taking another chance on the Atmos 50, which does hold all the stuff I'm taking. If it works well on the upcoming 4-day trip, I may even give the Exos series another chance, although the one I loaded with sandbags still had the same load transfer problems. (I probably need to drop a few pounds out of my current gear set, then try the Exos again with my gear instead of sandbags.)

The Atmos really is external frame, though: take a look through the mesh, and you'll see the bow-shaped cross-pieces; you can also see the frame where the pack and mesh wraps around it (they used a sewn attachment, instead of the clevis pins and wrapped mesh on the old externals.) None of the frame is buried inside the back of the pack bag. The comfort key is still the drum-tight mesh against your back.

However, I will admit that with the proper size, it performs a lot closer to an internal frame than an external frame. It may not be truly fair to call it either; it may be an entirely unique "hybrid" of both styles, with the advantages of both and few of the drawbacks of either. I'm taking it on a 4-day trip in a couple of weeks, starting with a 28 pound load; I'll try to remember to let you know how it did.

Thanks again for the tip about the angle of the load lifters. My first one was a medium - and the lifters were flat. That may explain the settling I was experiencing.

Edited by Glenn (03/05/10 01:12 PM)

#130446 - 03/10/10 01:33 PM Re: Osprey Exos vs. REI Flash 65 [Re: glsmaverick]
routemaster Offline

Loc: Concord, CA
My wife used a Flash and liked it but the waistbelt is a bit unpadded!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum