Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119124 - 08/07/09 04:06 PM Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack
Barry II Offline

Loc: NY
I'm looking for a backpack just large enough to hold a one-man tent (18" maybe) plus some smaller things. I also want the small size because it will blend better in the city. Maybe I'll stay overnight in the wilderness at some point, but it's mainly for suburban campgrounds within two miles of civilization (stores).

I want it to be very water resistant so I could feel safe putting my briefcase in it and walking several miles to work in the rain (not sure I'll actually do this, but I've seen waterproof roll-top models so I figured I should get something like that just in case).

I may take 15-20 mile walks, so I want the ventilation (for my back, not the contents). Any ideas?

Edited by Barry II (08/07/09 04:40 PM)

#119133 - 08/08/09 12:52 AM Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack [Re: Barry II]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Hi Barry,

Sounds like you need to hunt down a Dana Raid Z, which is basically a packframe that totes a drybag.

There are very few truly waterproof backpacks and the most common are drybags with shoulder straps, which are fine for summit bids but lousy for ventilation, load control, support etc. ArcTeryx makes a series of welded seam waterproof packs, but I don't know if they come in a size for your needs.

Happy hunting!

#119134 - 08/08/09 03:55 AM Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack [Re: Rick_D]
Barry II Offline

Okay, instead of looking on e-bay, I'm changing my requirements. Rain-proof isn't important since I can use an internal dry bag, but I don't want a metal frame. I'm afraid it will attract lightening. I'll search tomorrow.

#119301 - 08/12/09 10:12 AM Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack [Re: Barry II]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Your fear of lightning seems a little extreme. You might want to do some more research on the subject.

#119320 - 08/12/09 06:19 PM Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack [Re: finallyME]
Barry II Offline

I already read this which says "If you have a metal frame pack, leave it 100 feet from where you are seeking shelter."

#119329 - 08/12/09 09:28 PM Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack [Re: Barry II]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Barry II
I already read this which says "If you have a metal frame pack, leave it 100 feet from where you are seeking shelter."

If you do that in my neck of the woods (Sierras, around JMT and Yosemite) you will be stuck in the wilderness with no pack, since the bears will have dragged off your pack to investigate (ie, tear it up). I'll sleep with the pack, thanks. The odds are against being struck by lightening; the chance of having a bear come through camp - well, no chance involved. They will, they do, they bite and lick everything you leave out.

Then again, my pack has a few metal bolts and a tepex frame. So I have even less reason to worry, I guess.

Seriously - you are too worried about lightening.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#119348 - 08/13/09 05:29 PM Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack [Re: Barry II]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By Barry II

That is a great source, did you read the whole thing, or only what you wanted to hear?

"There are actually very few people struck by lightning while hiking, although around 70 people are killed in the US each year by lightning. If you stay alert and play it safe, you'll be just fine."

The part about the pack is only when you are IN a lightning storm. How many times have you been in a lightning storm? How many times have you NOT been in a lightning storm? Compare those two numbers. I think you are over emphasizing the danger from lightning. I would suggest you follow ALL the advice from the site you referenced.

#119349 - 08/13/09 06:41 PM Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack [Re: finallyME]
Barry II Offline

I read a bunch of it. If people could spend $100 to save 5 ounces, I could simply choose a non-metal frame for my first pack. Except someone mentioned that carbon fiber conducts electricity so I guess I'll look for plastic. I don't suppose they make wooden frames. And the ideal pack would have a collapsible frame so it fits in an attache case once I arrive at work. I don't expect to find the ideal pack but I'll at least look for it.

If I had to keep it 100 feet away, I'd probably hang it from a tree like food.

#119353 - 08/13/09 07:22 PM Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack [Re: Barry II]
lori Offline

I think you're not thinking straight - look at the abundance of packs with metal frames, the actual number of people struck by lightening, and then go get yourself bundled up in a padded suit because far more injuries and deaths occur in the wilderness from FALLS. And then get yourself a bicycle to ride to the trailhead, because your chances of an accident are CRAZY high as compared to the odds of being struck by lightening.

Either that, or you just want to rile us up. The odds of that happening are pretty slim, too. I'm just sitting here thinking of all the external frames and Ospreys I saw on the JMT last week in stormy weather and shaking my head at you.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#119357 - 08/13/09 09:06 PM Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack [Re: lori]
bigb Offline

Loc: Maryland
Still wish I could type the twilight zone theme

#119432 - 08/16/09 09:46 AM Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack [Re: bigb]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Maybe bigfoot will find a youtube link to it for ya!

#119442 - 08/16/09 01:44 PM Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack [Re: Folkalist]
theepdinker Offline

#119443 - 08/16/09 01:51 PM Re: Small, waterproof, ventilated backpack [Re: theepdinker]
bigb Offline

Loc: Maryland
How awesome was that, made my day, Rod Serling is still a genius and probably still smoking haha, thank you

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum