Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119216 - 08/10/09 10:57 PM Fish Guts
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
What do you all do with the fish guts, heads and tails? A fishery biologist I know says to just put them up on the bank out of sight and animals will get them in a few days. I usually have a fire to cook fish, so try to burn what I do not eat. Someone else says throw them way out into the water so bears are not attracted. I am not sure there is one answer. I certainly would not throw guts back into the water in a heavily used area, but in an area that may get one or two people per year, maybe that is OK.

#119222 - 08/11/09 12:33 AM Re: Fish Guts [Re: wandering_daisy]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
WD
It depends, many areas have regulations telling you what to do. Some Places require fish guts to disposed of in the water, some prohibit it. If buried it will be dug up. I think burning it is a good idea to reduce the weight and smell of the left overs. In a good fire it will completely burn. In high use areas a garbage can is the correct thing, in true wilderness it depends on regulations, but removing protein from high altitude lakes maybe requires returning the guts and head to the environment.
Ideas?
Oh Yes, I encourage my friends not to bring fish especially canned smoked salmon into bear areas. Eating fish is ok as long as you aren't living off golden trout...

I notice that areas of high camping use have more chipmunks and golden mantled ground squirrels. Like city parks, the animal population in these areas gets a lot of food from humans. If that food source was cut off, a lot of animals would die. I've heard that urban raccoon populations can be three times higher per square mile than in a natural raccoon population in the woods somewhere.
So its sort of complex, others will have more to say...
Jim

#119262 - 08/11/09 07:30 PM Re: Fish Guts [Re: wandering_daisy]
Haiwee Offline

Loc: Southern California
I usually leave the guts and consumed carcass out in the open far away from my (or anyone else's) camp. Some animal will come along and consume it within a day or so.

#119276 - 08/11/09 10:23 PM Re: Fish Guts [Re: wandering_daisy]
Rick Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
A number of years ago this question was asked. At that time there was some discussion about the hazards of disposing fish guts back into the water. I can't remember the exact disease that was spread by such practice or the specific area of the country it pertained to.
Anybody recall this conversation? the name of the disease? the geographic area of concern?

#119477 - 08/17/09 01:28 AM Re: Fish Guts [Re: Rick]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
It's called whirling disease and it's a disease of trout.

I did some research and it seems that every jurisdiction has a different answer. Evidently, it's best to follow what rules are applicable to where you are,

#119480 - 08/17/09 07:29 AM Re: Fish Guts [Re: OregonMouse]
Rick Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
That sounds like it. Thanks OregonMouse

"Fish bones or entrails should never be disposed of in any body of water, since spores from the carcass will be released into the waterway. Salmon and trout should not be used as bait."

More can be found Here

Because birds could carry contaminated entrails to other lakes or rivers, the safest way to dispose of entrails may be to burn or bury them.

I have never heard of this problem in Ontario waters. I normally would dispose of fish guts back into the water.

As fishers, it becomes our responsibility to understand and adhere to the local rules and regulations - which I'm sure we all do.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum