Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108745 - 01/04/09 08:55 AM A hike in the urban wilderness
SilasDogood Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I'm planning on doing some WWOOFing this summer and rather than drive/take train/fly, I was thinking about using it as an excuse to take a nice long walk. I'm no stranger to long hikes (I worked Trails for the Park Service), but I've never backpacked outside of Parks/Forest Service/BLM lands. So I come to you looking to predict problems. I'm starting out in Florida and will end up in NC, TN, or KY. The idea is to have at least thought about most contingencies before i hit the road. Thanks!

#108781 - 01/04/09 10:20 PM Re: A hike in the urban wilderness [Re: SilasDogood]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

I just started reading some journals by a hiker named Nimblewill Nomad. Read his 1998 Odysey and that can give you a good idea of what to expect. Of course, the data is 10 years old but I think a lot of it is still relevant. You can also check out Trailjournals.com and find various journals through Florida, the AT, the Benton MacKaye, the Pinhoti and various other trails.

#108835 - 01/05/09 09:58 PM Re: A hike in the urban wilderness [Re: Tango61]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
What to look out for in Florida's urban wilderness?

Well, there's the likes of Danny Rolling, Gary Ray Bowles, Bobby Joe Long and of course Ted Bundy. But they're gone from the scene now. Unfortunately, they probably had disciples.

And Aileen Wuornos? Her body count in the Sunshine State was seven. But the good news is she killed truckers, not trekkers.
sick

(addendum:) I'm editing this to keep the response at least a little relevant, although it pays to be careful while walking solo in an urban environment.

That long trek you've got planned sounds great. The Florida Trail would be a great way to start. Reading that book, "Planetwalker," by John Francis, who took off walking and quit speaking and riding in a car, is a great inspiration.

Edited by kevonionia (01/06/09 08:23 AM)

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#108903 - 01/07/09 03:24 PM Re: A hike in the urban wilderness [Re: SilasDogood]
hazydavy Offline

Loc: n.c. florida
Way cool, I live in north central fl. and have been contemplating the fl trail. Where are you starting from?

#119121 - 08/07/09 01:29 AM Re: A hike in the urban wilderness [Re: SilasDogood]
Barry II Offline

Loc: NY
I plan on something similar, except I've never backpacked before and I plan on taking the subway to give myself a head start, then possibly a bus, before walking 15-20 miles to a campground (Croton Point Park) then maybe another 20 miles to Ward Pound Ridge Reservation. I'll do more research on the area I'll be walking through. All I know is it's not so good. Your hike is longer so you'd have a lot more research to do. I personally wouldn't take a chance doing it without researching the neighborhoods.

Google Maps has an option for walking directions, but it doesn't know which roads have sidewalks so you may want to zoom in on Google satellite map to look for sidewalks. I don't mind it for 20-40 miles but for something much longer I'd try finding a good route some other way.

#119831 - 08/24/09 11:27 PM Re: A hike in the urban wilderness [Re: Barry II]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Barry II,
It's always a good idea to check the date on the last post, before you comment.
This one has been dead since Jan '09.

Pretty irrelevant now.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum