Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118714 - 07/25/09 09:58 AM Handling a Mid Life Crisis
TomM Offline

This isn't directly related to hiking but I am wondering how people handled their Mid Life Crisis. There's no doubt that I am in the middle of one.

#118716 - 07/25/09 10:04 AM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: TomM]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Well, backpacking and hiking are certainly a good way to cope with one!

#118736 - 07/25/09 09:56 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: TomM]
rockettman Offline

Loc: Maine
I've backpacked most of my life, so I bought a motorcycle. A Suzuki DL 650. Great fun.

#118740 - 07/26/09 12:25 AM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: TomM]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I don't know if it is so much the mid life crisis thing, but property is paid off, money is more plentiful and easier to save up. I bagged Mt Whitney on my 50th, almost six years ago, bought a crotch rocket five or six years ago too, have a sportier car now, but it is more economical then anything else. I'm single, so no worries about kids or grandkids. I'm just able to do more stuff now if I want to. Going to AK in a couple weeks, my dream trip/thing to do in life. Not something you can do much of. My one trip maybe.

#118741 - 07/26/09 01:45 AM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: TomM]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I think that a mid-life crisis is mainly about not letting your whole life get plowed under as fertilizer to increase the harvest of others. You have to figure out a more equitable balance between what benefits your dependents and your employers and what benefits you.

Don't worry about dying. We all do that. No getting around that. Use what you have learned in the past couple of decades since becoming an adult to construct a better way to live the last few decades (knock on wood) of your life.

Running around in a tizzy and undoing everything you've done so far is not generally a good response to that challenge. Taking a good hard look at your priorities and what you need to change about them, and why, is a very good idea.

In my case, I quit an excellent job and spent several years just regaining my health and well-being after nearly two decades of fairly extreme (and wholly necessary) self-sacrifice. In my case, it was the right answer. Just as getting and keeping that job had been the right answer ten years earlier.

#118742 - 07/26/09 09:24 AM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: TomM]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I've coined the phrase "Salmon Years" for this point in life. Spawned, now rolling down stream waiting for the bear. grin
I wouldn't say I'm in a 'mid-life' crisis but I have ramped up activities I fear not being able to do well in 10 or so years.
Music for one...I'm in two bands, recording, gigging, having a blast. Took up kayaking a couple of years ago too. Playing music in regular Irish music pub sessions as well.
You know your doing it right when the wife and grown kids start noticing you are 'busy' doing your own thing, more often. grin I've supported them, now I support ME! cool
(fun to say....I'm still very responsible for "them")

#118744 - 07/26/09 10:13 AM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: TomM]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
When I was nearing fifty, twenty-plus years ago, I realized that what I was doing was basically running on a treadmill. I was bored, frustrated and not at all comfortable with myself. The expectations I had had for my career were hugely different from the reality. And, the life I had built for me and my family was not a comfortable fit.

My wife and I decided then to simplify our lives and quit being "wage-slaves". For the ten years between this decision and my "retirement" while still in my fifties, we rid ourselves of most of our encumbrances, we started aggressively saving and investing and worked assiduously at ridding ourselves of debt. I kept my job but changed my attitude towards it from trying to work my way up the career ladder to just doing what I was paid to do, as well as possible. That attitude change made a huge difference.

By the time I was in my late fifties, we were financially independent and no longer needed to work to have a satisfying life. I had quit my job and we lived in a rural part of western Washington in a house we had built, grew most of our food, and lived pretty much off the grid. We now live a little more on the grid in Arizona but the idea is the same. We are self-sufficient and have enough income to indulge ourselves in a few interests. We live a life others consider to be genteel poverty but it suits us and we are happy. We carry long term health care insurance and feel our future is secure though probably not luxurious.

I recall a lot of the people I worked with hitting the mid-life "Is this all there is?" crisis. A lot of them started chasing younger women, drinking a lot, or got a tattoo, or hair transplants, or bought a Harley and grew farcical whiskers, or bought a big boat, or some or all of the above. I honestly think my idea worked better, at least for me.

Edited by Pika (07/26/09 12:08 PM)

#118761 - 07/26/09 04:59 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: Pika]
TomM Offline

Originally Posted By Pika

I recall a lot of the people I worked with hitting the mid-life "Is this all there is?" crisis. A lot of them started chasing younger women, drinking a lot, or got a tattoo, or hair transplants, or bought a Harley and grew farcical whiskers, or bought a big boat, or some or all of the above. I honestly think my idea worked better, at least for me.

Here's my story. I am 46 and have spent my life pursuing career and adventure, both with success. I know find myself asking "Is this it?". I am not interested in boats, fast cars or any of the other things associated with a mid-life crisis. In fact I want to go the other way and settle down with a family. My dilemma is that I feel I may have waited too long.

#118772 - 07/26/09 09:03 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: TomM]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I always have a goal or goals, that leaves me little time to worry about scary things like depression or death.

I don't always make all of my goals, but I try. I think it's better to try and fail than not to try at all.

My goals are always experiences......not things.

My real goal is.......to always have goals. Even if I make fewer and fewer as I age.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#118778 - 07/27/09 12:39 AM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: Pika]
Marc Offline

Loc: Iowa
That is one fascinating and inspirational story Pika. I can hardly wait for it to come out in paperback.
Tom, before you go assiduously pursuing the meaning of life may I quote a famous and wise wizard?

A heart is not judged by how much you love, but how much you are loved by others.

now kiss your wife, slap your face, and go to bed.

#118789 - 07/27/09 01:58 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: Marc]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Not to make light of the subject, but thought that this comic was interesting.

#118804 - 07/27/09 08:40 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: TomM]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Originally Posted By TomM

Here's my story. I am 46 and have spent my life pursuing career and adventure, both with success. I know find myself asking "Is this it?". I am not interested in boats, fast cars or any of the other things associated with a mid-life crisis. In fact I want to go the other way and settle down with a family. My dilemma is that I feel I may have waited too long.

Easier for a guy ;-) On one of the other forums a long time member finally got married in his late 40's and now has his first child. All I can say is this: my dad was better with my son than he was with us as kids - he made time for my son where when we were kids he was too busy trying to get his business going. So my point? Make it a goal to find someone to share your life with and who is family oriented if that is what you want. And never overlook being a step dad - it isn't easy being a step parent but you can influence children to be better humans. Being older gives one more patience, more wisdom. That isn't a bad thing.

#118812 - 07/27/09 10:16 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: sarbar]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Quote:
but you can influence children to be better humans

Or you can join a Scout troop and serve as an Assistant Scout Master and teach them everything you know about camping/hiking.

It definitely keeps you hopping and somewhat "young", at least at heart. And watching some of these "boys" grow up into young men is quite satisfying.

Tango

#118838 - 07/28/09 04:21 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: sarbar]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By sarbar

On one of the other forums a long time member finally got married in his late 40's and now has his first child. All I can say is this: my dad was better with my son than he was with us as kids - he made time for my son where when we were kids he was too busy trying to get his business going.

Yeah, there's plusses and minuses to having kids when you are young. I'm 40 and have an 18 and a 16 year old (both of whom are great kids, couldn't ask for better) Sometimes I alternate between wondering "how the heck did that happen" and feeling like "I've missed everything while working!" The rational side of me knows I haven't and I try to do the absolute best I can as a dad, but I've always wondered how it would be different if I had waited until I was "established" - which I guess would be about now. I don't regret the decision I just wonder if I would have had more time to devote later how things would have been "different". but in the end Je ne regrete rien - There's always grandkids (however I perpetually jokingly lecture my daughter (18) that I'm not "old" and so such thoughts can not happen until I am 50.. doesn't matter if she's ready it's all about me...)

(Yeah, I know I will deservingly get chewed out for the 50 and "old" comment by all the rest of you.. fire away)

Browse my pictures

#118839 - 07/28/09 04:23 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: Tango61]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Tango61
Quote:
but you can influence children to be better humans

Or you can join a Scout troop and serve as an Assistant Scout Master and teach them everything you know about camping/hiking.

You scouting types and this forum frequently remind me that I should really think about doing this... Yes I did scouting and the experience was less than perfect for me but perhaps that's all the more reason to do so.

Browse my pictures

#118847 - 07/28/09 06:42 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: phat]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
phat,

I was 37 when my daughter was born. Recently I asked her if she wanted to go on a four night trip into the Grand Canyon. She said she was not fit enough.

What has happened to the world when the 23 years old worry about keeping up with the 60 year olds?

#118848 - 07/28/09 06:44 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: TomM]
ringtail Offline

If you do not enjoy your work then change your career to something you enjoy.

If you enjoy your work then give back to the community. Service clubs are great.

#118854 - 07/28/09 09:22 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: phat]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Phat,
I think you experience would be invaluable, especially with winter camping. In a lot of areas, winter camping is not encouraged. I know that if I lived in snow country, I would love to learn to camp in winter.

If you register as an "adult leader" with the council, then you can offer specific skills to all the troops in the council. This way you don't have to be tied into just one group and be responsible for more than what you want to do.

Although I am an ASM with a troop, I offer my expertise in teaching First Aid and Backpacking (light weight!) to all the troops in our council.

I'm not sure how things work in Canada, but I'm sure the principle is the same.

T

#118867 - 07/29/09 12:29 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: Tango61]
phat Offline

Unless I'm wrong (some of what I hear is probably rumour and innuendo) I believe winter camping is discouraged for "safety reasons" by scouts canada. Last I heard the only kids who got
to do that were the kids who signed up for the Canadian Forces Cadets program here.

I'll look into it. Something tells me the paranoia and goofiness may chase me off. but I promise to try smile

Browse my pictures

#118908 - 07/30/09 01:57 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: TomM]
Haiwee Offline

Loc: Southern California
I guess I'm lucky; I hit what I consider to have been my "mid-life crisis" when I was still in my thirties. It was then that I figured out what, for me, is the key to happiness: figure out what it is you really like to do, and do it as often as humanly possible. When you can't, then spend as much time as possible dreaming of and planning for the activities you really like to do.

Don't get me wrong -- I have a career and I work hard. Fortunately, as an outside sales person I have lots of down time driving from town to town to see my customers, so I have a lot of time to dream and plan my next backpacking or hunting or fishing adventure. When I'm at home I spend most of my spare time pouring over maps, reading guidebooks, checking out outdoor-related web sites, reloading shotgun shells or tying flies.

Of course, my ex-wife though me a bit obsessive -- which may explain why I'm not married any more. But I'm happy, and to me that's what is most important.

#119751 - 08/23/09 01:53 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: Haiwee]
lv2fsh Offline

Loc: socal
At the age of 42, I had two kids grown and out and the last one a senior in high school. I decided to change careers. After 6 years as a reserve Deputy Sheriff, I started the Academy with a bunch of 20 somethings. That was 14 years ago and I haven't regreted it. When you are young and have kids, your focus should be on them and raising them right but once that is complete, it is time to do what makes you happy. Life is too short to waste doing something you don't enjoy.

#119921 - 08/26/09 04:44 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: OregonMouse]
norm Offline

Loc: central idaho
Hi;
I'm new here, but must state that "mid life" snuck by me and I didn't even notice. The only thing that "screams at me is the fact that the high mountain lakes have moved futher back and have gained altitude. The sad thing that I have noticed is the influx of those who don't care about us bottom feeders. One of my favorite lakes has been taken over by an out- sider and he informed me that the lake was now his and that I not only could not walk across his property to the lake, but that I could not fish the lake either.
When I informed him that I wasn't sure he could tie up a lake that has always a public place ,he said I was stupid and to get off his place.

#119939 - 08/26/09 08:35 PM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: norm]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
You say "it has always (been) a public place"?

There's a concept in the law that any pathway that has been well-established by public use, even if it runs through private land, becomes a public right-of-way after a certain number of years. I wish I could tell you how long it needs to be used.

Anyway, if the previous owner(s) allowed the public to access the lake via a well-defined route, and you can rustle up some relilable witnesses who can prove it has had continuous use for a long time, you have a good case.

#119962 - 08/27/09 10:08 AM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: aimless]
ringtail Offline

"Adverse possession" is the legal term. The time requirement varies by state. Aerial photos are a good evidence.

Might also want to check "prescriptive easement."

#119975 - 08/27/09 11:50 AM Re: Handling a Mid Life Crisis [Re: aimless]
norm Offline

Loc: central idaho
Hi again;
Discussing the trail leading to Hump lake from the main road is a mute point in the opinion of the land owner. He claims the lake as well. This is a parcel of land that was set aside for the mining claims when this part of the state was placed into a wilderness area (The Gospels) years ago. The land in question is a minning claim that was purchased and then patened. He has title to it. I have no reason to question this. The claim takes in three sides of the lake and crosses the lake near the far end.This lake has been used by the general public for the last several decades. ( I have fished there since 1954) There has never been any trouble with the people who owned any of these claims before. (actually, there has been no minning there since I've been going there. This has been a favorite site to camp and enjoy the outdoors to many over the years, after all, It is in the middle of a "wilderness Ares" He is in the process of building a huge structure right out over the water. I have been told that the material is being flown in by helicoptor. I know he has certain rights . How he obtained these rights might be suspect. However I cannot understand how he can prevent one from fishing the lake, even if one were to walk around to the end that is not his.If he is right, one will be restricted to using only a few feet at the upper end. Years ago, the state of Idaho planted the lake with trout and now I assume he feels he owns the fish as well. I cannot understand how one person can come in, enjoy a pristine area, claim it for himself at the expense of all those who have shared it since the early 1900s This place has been an "usual and accustomed" place to the Nez Perce indians to harvest edible plants, fish and other items. That right has been protected by the treaty of 1863 and signed by the president of the USA. Private land ownership is superceded by this treaty. Lawsuits have been brought in the past to offset this "right", however, every case has found in favor of the Nez Perce. In other words, one might buy a parcel of land within the "usual and accustomed places" that they used to "gather" items of lively- hood, but the land owner cannot prevent them from them crossing the property.This is set in stone. He however, is telling them to "to get the hell off his land" ,and "they sure as hell can not fish his lake". I was there when he said it. If the tribe should take this matter up ,he will be in for a big surprise, but it wouldn't help the non- tribal members any.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum