Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118512 - 07/20/09 01:00 PM Light, tasty food options?
Fish in a Barrel Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I'm a fairly inexperienced camper here. Haven't done much since I was a kid, but I've been getting back out into the woods the past year or two.

One thing that continues to vex me is food. It's either too heavy or it tastes horrible. I've tried the Mountain House freeze-dried stuff and I found it darn near unpalatable. After a day of hiking, that's demotivating.

What are my options for camp dinners that will actually taste good?

#118519 - 07/20/09 02:36 PM Re: Light, tasty food options? [Re: Fish in a Barrel]
MattnID Offline

Loc: Idaho
Well, if you didn't like Mountain House I don't know what to tell you. You could try Backcountry Pantry stuff(or maybe it's Backpacker's Pantry?) which is freeze dried, but it isn't terribly different from Mountain House. Of course, I'm sure it depends on what you ate, though "unpalatable" seems like a great exageration. However, everyone has their tastes I suppose. Some things are always going to taste better than others. I know there are a few other brands out there but having never bought them their names don't come to mind.

You could always go for making your own stuff, then freeze drying it and then vacuum packaging it yourself. That's really probably the only guaranteed way to get something you know you'll like.

There are other improvisational ways to provide yourself with food that I'm sure others will explain shortly.

#118521 - 07/20/09 02:46 PM Re: Light, tasty food options? [Re: Fish in a Barrel]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By Fish in a Barrel

What are my options for camp dinners that will actually taste good?

An easier question would be "What are my options for camp dinners that will actually NOT taste good?"

There are a LOT of foods you can take into the back country that tastes great. So many, that I am not going to bore you, plus I don't know what you like to eat. Taste is very personal.
Go to the food section of this forum. Go to the food section of other backpacking forums. Look at Freezer bag cooking. The list is enormous.

#118528 - 07/20/09 03:38 PM Re: Light, tasty food options? [Re: Fish in a Barrel]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
http://www.hawkvittles.com/

There are other options of dehydrated foods (as opposed to freeze-dried) as well. In my experience, Hawks are not only the best tasting, but also the least expensive per serving. Others may appear cheaper, but the amount you get per serving is not comparable. I estimate the ratio to be 2:1. A 2-serving Haw Vittles I get 3 full meals out of, where other brands a 2-servng portion is a single meal. Do the math on the price!

#118538 - 07/20/09 09:58 PM Re: Light, tasty food options? [Re: MattnID]
RandyA Offline

Loc: Mount Juliet, TN
Get the book Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Food Made Simple by Sarah Svien Kirkconnell. The recipes are amazing. I promise you will be impressed!

Randy

#118541 - 07/21/09 01:28 AM Re: Light, tasty food options? [Re: Fish in a Barrel]
lori Offline

trailcooking.com, aka freezer bag cooking, will give you a starting point to create less expensive and healthier options.

You can go a long way with instant potatoes, couscous, dehydrated veggies and fruit, nuts, precooked/dehydrated pastas, soup mixes, sauce mixes, and even some meat and cheese - all available from many grocery stores.

Packitgourmet.com fills in gaps. Love the meals and protein drinks.
Harmonyhousefoods.com has a backpackers kit - it's a great option for people who don't want to dehydrate their own stuff.
Trader Joes - I love their nuts/fruits, mixes and lots of their stuff from the pasta/rice aisle are perfect backpacking food. Shelf stable gnocchi goes with me often. Flattened banana for the win! Good prices on Clif bars and similar. Huge bottles of Dr Bronner's soap.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#118558 - 07/21/09 12:19 PM Re: Light, tasty food options? [Re: lori]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
lori speaks truth, Fish in a Barrel.

You may have to do some of the work of assembling some ingredients together and deciding which combinations suit your taste, but unless you absolutely insist on nothing but fresh food that spoils easily and requires fancy cooking techniques, you can succeed in feeding yourself rather well.

#118563 - 07/21/09 02:44 PM Re: Light, tasty food options? [Re: Fish in a Barrel]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Not cheap but tasty and easy.
Enertia Trail Foods.
Get the cook in pouch ones and you do not even get a pan dirty. It is nothing that you could not do yourself with freezer bag cooking but it is all done for you and they taste good.

http://www.trailfoods.com/

#118732 - 07/25/09 07:37 PM Re: Light, tasty food options? [Re: Fish in a Barrel]
Ecrow Offline

Loc: N. New Mexico
Book a two week survival course, it makes every bag of food taste wonderful.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum