Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118010 - 07/04/09 02:06 PM Not exactly over the hill, but having issues...
Andi Offline

Hello all. Here's my problem - my husband has a back injury. He can still carry plenty without problems; the issue is sleeping and sitting. The wrong sleeping or sitting situation will make him unable to move without a lot of pain the next day, psiatic nerve stuff, etc. We have a thermorest trail pad, but that doesn't provide the support he needs. And the trail chairs that sit on the ground that you can use with those pads don't provide back support that he needs (though personally I love those things). We've been limited basically to car camping, where he can bring one of the bag chairs and an air mattress, but we'd really like to be able to go backcountry again. If anyone has any suggestions, particularly with regard to the sleeping situation, I'd be very appreciative.

Also, I was wondering if anyone had used this product:

http://www.rei.com/product/792007

It seems to pack up pretty small and relatively light, so if it provides similar support to a bag chair, it seems like it might do the trick for him as far as a chair. Has anyone used this?

#118017 - 07/04/09 05:33 PM Re: Not exactly over the hill, but having issues... [Re: Andi]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
If you stay on the ground try using a POE Ether, a Big Agnes Insulated Air Mat, a Stephenson Down Air Mat, or Down Air Mat 7. I believe that all of these come in right around or under 2lbs and give you 3" of insulated air mattress under you. (When on the ground I use the POE Ether long which comes in at 22 ounces). Someone else who carries one can chime in on chairs.

The other possibility is to move to hanging (using a hammock). They are very comfortable to sleep in and can be used as a chair to relax in. The warbonnet Blackbird seems to be the premier hammock right now http://warbonnetoutdoors.net/ but other asym hammocks, bridge hammocks, and end gathered hammocks are all possibilities. Check out http:/www.hammockforums.net for ideas. I find them the most comfortable way to sleep.

#118021 - 07/04/09 08:16 PM Re: Not exactly over the hill, but having issues... [Re: thecook]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I'm a big guy. I have the Big Agnes insulated aircore in the wide width. it's relatively heavy (about a kilo, 1000grams) but
is just the ticket for when I have to sleep on the ground. I believe cook mentioned others. There are options in a good backcountry capable air mattress.

As for the hammock suggestion, I too am a die hard hammocker, but the trick if you have a sore back is that some people do not want to be "bent" - with a hammock you do this by sleeping *diagonally* in the hammock. (with the hammock not strung extra tight to the trees.) Doing it this way I can comfortably sleep on my sides in the hammock, but you may wish to try before you buy. Hennesey and warbonnet make nice asymetrical ones designed to lie sideways in, or if you use the search function in this forum, search for "Test Hammock" - there is a link to risk's test hammock you can make for about 1 to 20 dollars to just try to see if it actually is comfortable or not for your husband (The other option would be
go to REI and buy a hennesey and then try it out in the yard or basement - if it's not comfortable to sleep in, return it.

I also use mine as a chair to sit in, (I actually use a homemade speer hammock, similar to the "test hammock" but with a ridgeline and bugnet added.

Browse my pictures

#118036 - 07/05/09 12:14 PM Re: Not exactly over the hill, but having issues... [Re: phat]
Andi Offline

Thanks for the info. Big Agnes looks very promising. I found a memory foam thing that they make to go around their pads when I looked them up, and it looks like the pad and foam combo still comes in just under 5 pounds, so that's do-able. That could be really good for him. Don't know til we try, of course.

I know he doesn't like sleeping on hammocks. Hadn't thought about setting one up as a chair. I'll see if that might work for him.

#118044 - 07/05/09 07:25 PM Re: Not exactly over the hill, but having issues... [Re: Andi]
MountainMinstrel Offline

For a chair I take a Sling Light Chair. 22 onces with the headrest. I do not leave home without this thing (Thank you most wonderfull wife!).

#118176 - 07/09/09 09:58 AM Re: Not exactly over the hill, but having issues... [Re: Andi]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Andi
Thanks for the info. Big Agnes looks very promising. I found a memory foam thing that they make to go around their pads when I looked them up, and it looks like the pad and foam combo still comes in just under 5 pounds, so that's do-able. That could be really good for him. Don't know til we try, of course.

I know he doesn't like sleeping on hammocks. Hadn't thought about setting one up as a chair. I'll see if that might work for him.

Has he tried an actual camping hammock, or just the backyard kind? There is a HUGE difference in the comfort level. I sleep better in the Blackbird (and in the Hennessy that came before it) than I do in my bed at home. Phat isn't talking about rope hammocks or those big flat swinging hammocks. These are essentially tents that hang in the trees, with bugnets, and it's more like being in a waterbed. You don't sleep on them, but in them. Not trying to be pushy, but over at the hammock forum there are many people with back, hip, knee, or other health issues that would not be packing if not for their hammock.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#118219 - 07/10/09 10:51 PM Re: Not exactly over the hill, but having issues... [Re: lori]
Andi Offline

Lori - thanks for the info. I understood that he meant a camping hammock, but the issue with hammocks had more to do with the lack of company in a hammock as opposed to the comfort level.

But you have reminded me that I must pick up a new hammock before we venture into the woods in a few weeks. smile

#118220 - 07/10/09 10:52 PM Re: Not exactly over the hill, but having issues... [Re: MountainMinstrel]
Andi Offline

That thing looks like it might just what we're looking for chair-wise. Does it provide good back support?

Edit to add - It doesn't look like it packs up?

Edited by Andi (07/10/09 10:53 PM)

#118356 - 07/15/09 06:35 PM Re: Not exactly over the hill, but having issues... [Re: Andi]
Andi Offline

Just to follow up - we ordered the butterfly chair and got it today. Unfortunately, we're going to be taking it back. However, it's not a bad product. I'm lazy, so I'm cut-and-pasting the review I left for it:

It's not what we were looking for. Essentially, it functions the same as a 4 leg chair, but your own two legs are numbers 3 and 4. If you have knee issues, this is not the chair for you. However, with that said, it's not uncomfortable, packs up small, and is fairly light. A good compromise for backpacking and it gets you off the ground, but you're giving up the ability to lean back and relax. It's a clever idea, though, and was quite sturdy.

So, for those who don't mind being the front leg support, it's a pretty good little chair, and it was quite supportive.

On the other hand, we did get the Big Agnes mattress and the memory foam pad. We're going camping next week, so we'll find out if it works for him. smile

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum