Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118011 - 07/04/09 02:20 PM Hubba Hubba or Hubba?
DirkJan Offline

Loc: Driebergen, Netherlands
Hey,

I'm looking for a good tent and I encountered the Hubba's from MSR, which looked very nice. I'll probably buy the HP version, but I'm still doubting whether I'd buy the 1 or 2 person tent.

I'll be tramping New-Zealand from north to south in half a year on my own so I don't necessarily need a 2 person tent. I saw them both up in a store and the Hubba appears a bit small to me (you probably can't prepare a meal under in shelter with your fat backpack and shoes next to it), but the Hubba Hubba seems way too big for just one person...

I was wondering what you would suggest: buying a a bit too small tent or a way too big one (the last adding 500g)?
Money isn't the point, just space and weight.
Oh, and I'm nearly 2 meters tall so I can't fit my backpack at my feet in the Hubba wink (darned dutchies...)

Thanks alot.

#118015 - 07/04/09 04:32 PM Re: Hubba Hubba or Hubba? [Re: DirkJan]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Since you're still in the shopping phase, you might want to also look at the Big Agnes Emerald Mountain and Copper Spur models - functionally very similar to the Hubbas, but with a slightly better space arrangement. I've used the Hubba a fair amount, and liked it a lot, but I like the Copper Spur UL1 much better. In particular, it has a zippered opening so you can actually use the small rear vestibule.

How much will the rest of your load weigh? If you're staying fairly light on everything else, and particularly if you expect to spend some time tentbound due to bad weather, the extra weight might be a good thing to splurge on, and get the two-person version of whatever tent you decide suits your needs.

#118019 - 07/04/09 07:34 PM Re: Hubba Hubba or Hubba? [Re: Glenn]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
DirkJan
Have a look at the TT Scarp 1,1250 g with pegs (6) similar to the Akto/Vela/Laser but lighter and roomier.
It is a large solo double wall shelter with 2 doors/vestibules, 99 cm headroom, 218cm long , 81cm wide, all usable.
I would suggest the fabric inner because it is rain resistant, more than capable of holding the mist that can drip from silnylon (from condensation or penetration)
http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html
Franco

#118033 - 07/05/09 03:52 AM Re: Hubba Hubba or Hubba? [Re: Franco]
DirkJan Offline

Glenn: My basepack weight (with a Hubba Hubba) is 13.1 kg now (without food or water that is, and I most likely will carry food for 5-10 days with me all the time; so around 19 kg as a whole).
What is the difference between the Hubba and Copper Spur UL1? They seem to have the same space and more or less the same weight?

Franco: The TT Scarp 1 looks great! Just between the Hubba and Hubba Hubba, I'll most surely consider this one. BTW: is it possible to fit in 2 persons in it (with the necessary some effort and uncomfort ofcourse)?

Edited by DirkJan (07/05/09 04:36 AM)

#118034 - 07/05/09 07:05 AM Re: Hubba Hubba or Hubba? [Re: DirkJan]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
The Copper Spur is about a foot and a half (about half a meter?) wider at the head end of the tent, which gives you significantly more room to move around and store gear. Also, both tents have an entry vestibule and a small rear vestibule (where you guy out the back of the tent.) However, the Copper Spur has a zipper that actually lets you access the rear vestibule from inside the tent; the Hubba does not.

By the way, Franco's post reminded me of another tent that might work well for you: the Tarptent Rainbow. It's a single-wall equivalent of the Hubba, but nearly twice as wide and only weighs 2 pounds. I've had one, and it's incredibly roomy, well-made, and about a foot longer than the Copper Spur. I never developed the "warm fuzzies" for it, but it has loads of fans. It might be something to look at while you're checking out the Scarp.

#118041 - 07/05/09 05:43 PM Re: Hubba Hubba or Hubba? [Re: DirkJan]
CWF Offline

Definitely go with the Hubba Hubba for that length of time. Simply a case of more room to spread out and the dual vestibules would be nice with wet gear. I personally would go for the HP version because of the additional coverage in truly crappy conditions.

The Scarp also comes in a 2 person model but I am not sure if it has the fabric inner or only comes with the mesh inner.

#118047 - 07/05/09 09:11 PM Re: Hubba Hubba or Hubba? [Re: DirkJan]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
DirkJan
Yes you can fit two mats side by side without overlapping. All you need to do is to un-clip the outside tie point on each side . At that point the bathtub floor will be reduced to an inch or so from about 5".
You can get either Scarp with either (or both) the mesh or fabric inner.
Franco

#118070 - 07/06/09 01:58 PM Re: Hubba Hubba or Hubba? [Re: DirkJan]
Huston Offline

Loc: Southern Ohio, US
I have both the Hubba HP and the Copper Spur UL 1. The CS is roomier, and it does allow you access to the back vestibule through a back zippered door. The gear loft hangs on the wall right behind your head in the CS. The HP was tight. You didn't have much room on either side and if I happened to move much I was against the wall of the tent, and therefore collected moisture. I had the HP first and went to the CS just for the extra room the CS provided. One thing about the HP that I liked was if it was cool, it held heat a little better then the CS due to the limited vents which are near the top, and not very big. I wouldn't go back to the HP from the CS. I just wanted a little more room and comfort and found it in the CS.

#118200 - 07/10/09 08:57 AM Re: Hubba Hubba or Hubba? [Re: Huston]
DirkJan Offline

Thank you all for your help. I went to all the outdoor-stores I could find in my region, asked for their advice which of your suggestions I would buy and decided that the Scarp I is probably the best.
Spacey enough to fit in 2 persons for a shot time, very light and quite some space when I'm alone. So the Scarp I it is wink

Again: thanks alot all of you for your advice!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 128 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum