Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118055 - 07/06/09 12:47 AM Therm-A-Rest feature addition
bilbobagins Offline

Loc: Oregon
Firstly i'll say hello. This is my first post here. smile

I dunno if anyone has seen the "REI Lite-Core 1.5 Self-Inflating Pad" or not, but its basically a Therm-a-rest with some anti-slip pads on it. They're basically rubbery circles on top of the pad. I recently started packing up a therm-a-rest prolite 3, and its great and all, but I did notice that when its fully blown up the slick nylon surfaces of the pad & sleeping bag cause me to slide off the pad (mostly on nights when i toss and turn). I can solve this fairly well by letting some air out of the pad, it even seems a bit more cushioned to do so.

Anyway, the rubber circles would solve that problem. (which is probably why REI's pad has them in their design). My idea is, maybe I could pour some patterns of rubber cement on it, or some kinda polyurethane-based adhesive or something (shoe goo? I'm not too sure what to use.) I don't think it would add any significant weight to the pad, and should act as a nice grip.

Anyone try out the REI Lite-Core 1.5 Self-Inflating Pad? are the grip circles that useful? does anyone know of any polyurethane-based stuff that would stick onto the pad and remain flexible and act as a grip for sleeping bag nylon?

Any ideas or feedback would be awesome thanks.

#118065 - 07/06/09 11:35 AM Re: Therm-A-Rest feature addition [Re: bilbobagins]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Several people use Seam Grip - it's basically what you're talking about. Some people even mix their own... silicone sealer + mineral spirits. It works well as a seam sealer and is less expensive.

#118072 - 07/06/09 02:34 PM Re: Therm-A-Rest feature addition [Re: jpanderson80]
bilbobagins Offline

Loc: Oregon
So people have done this before? I wonder how long the stuff would stay stuck on there? pretty durable/peel off?

#118076 - 07/06/09 05:43 PM Re: Therm-A-Rest feature addition [Re: bilbobagins]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
It's a common solution to the slippery pad problem. I'm not sure how long it would last. That just "depends" I guess. I have a tarp with seams sealed using the homemade solution. They seem to be fine, and the tarp is several year old. But... I haven't done that to a sleeping pad, I imagine your mileage might vary since you are laying on it and scooting around a little. Maybe others can address this question.

#118080 - 07/06/09 06:14 PM Re: Therm-A-Rest feature addition [Re: jpanderson80]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I would check with Thermarest before applying the silicon/mineral spirits mix. The mix is pretty well tested for use on silicon nylon but I have never heard anything about using it on the air-tight fabric used with Thermarest pads.

I am having a bit of a slick floor problem with my new Big Agnes Fly Creek. The floor looks a lot like silnylon but BA in an email to me recommended using McNett's Seam Grip for non-skid spots; not the silicon/mineral spirits mix.

#119709 - 08/22/09 06:12 PM Re: Therm-A-Rest feature addition [Re: Pika]
Earthling Offline

Loc: USA
You can just carry a piece of really cheap rubber non skid type shelf liner; and toss it on and under your T'rest to stay in place.

#119712 - 08/22/09 06:31 PM Re: Therm-A-Rest feature addition [Re: bilbobagins]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
I have glued pieces of velcro to my thermarest with Seam Grip (which is not silicone), with success. Cascade designs even suggests Seam Grip as a repair material for pinhole punctures, so you can be sure it won't damage your mattress.

#119713 - 08/22/09 06:32 PM Re: Therm-A-Rest feature addition [Re: Earthling]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Welcome back, Earthling!!! It's wonderful to hear from you! awesome

#119726 - 08/22/09 10:25 PM Re: Therm-A-Rest feature addition [Re: OregonMouse]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I used the silicon sealer on a Thermarest LE some years ago (before I switched to an air pad). Last I saw it, there appears to be no damage. And it did seem to help better than the stripes on the floor.

For my current NeoAir, I use a piece of 1/8" Thinlite under it (in anticipation of frost in high places), which seems to do the job. I did paint a few X's of Silnet on the Thinlite. I also put quite a bit of diluted Silnet on the floor of my Squall Classic, after its initial trip when I spent three nights chasing the NeoAir around the tent. The combination worked just fine on my latest trip.

Neither non-stick surfaces nor anything else devised can overcome the law of gravity, though!

#119820 - 08/24/09 08:35 PM Re: Therm-A-Rest feature addition [Re: bilbobagins]
Echterling Offline

Loc: USA
I have seamgrip dots on my thermarest. I've put it through quite a bit, and they don't seem to be coming off. I'd say it is pretty durable.

#120665 - 09/10/09 05:56 PM Re: Therm-A-Rest & silicone dots [Re: jpanderson80]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I've made several big, full width Xs of silicone dots right from a caulking tube on my old full length UL Thermarest. I did it B/C I have a Contrail W/ a slippery silnylon floor. Works well. I'm sure the urethane SEAMGRIP would work too and may cost less.

Eric

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum