Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117767 - 06/29/09 10:41 AM "Publishing" gear lists--where?
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Does anyone have suggestions for a site where I can "publish" my gear list? I can convert it (currently Excel) to almost any format, but if I try to put it in a forum post, it's extremely difficult to read (spacing from a Word file goes away when I copy/paste). Obviously, I'd prefer something that is free.

I could do it on BPL, but I'd just as soon not cope with being flamed by the under-5-pound, anti-TP contingent over there. I guess I'm a little too thin-skinned for that. My pack is lightweight, not ultra-light, and I have no plans to go to the latter category. On the other hand, suggestions for saving another pound or two are always welcome.

BTW, should you want to convert Excel to .pdf, the converter is on, of all places, the Print menu. Conversion to other file types is on the "Save As" menu. Don't ask me why!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/29/09 11:30 AM)

#117769 - 06/29/09 11:20 AM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: OregonMouse]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
try converting it to a plain .txt file. The way it looks in notepad should be how it looks on a post.

to convert to/from doc types:
http://www.youconvertit.com/
http://www.cometdocs.com/

as far as other "publishing" sites to share it online for free:
docs.google.com
http://www.mediafire.com/

Edited by DTape (06/29/09 11:24 AM)

#117785 - 06/29/09 03:51 PM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: OregonMouse]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Yeah, you better have some thick skin to post your gear list on BPL. I think that it is understood that if you post your list, you WANT people to be VERY critical and slam everything. In other words, if you are comfortable with your stuff, don't ask others to critique it at BPL.

#117792 - 06/29/09 04:38 PM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: finallyME]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Actually, you can publish your gear list on BPL as a PDF attached to your profile or you can post it as a thread on their forum. The lists that are posted on the forum tend to get pretty thoroughly keelhauled. There is criticism for a person taking a SAK Classic rather than a single-edge razor blade for Pete's sake!

However, I did post one of my older gear lists with my profile on BPL and it has been roundly ignored. I think that I am glad. I am quite happy with my present 13+ pound base weight. I wouldn't mind shedding a pound or two but not at the cost of sleeping standing in my clothes, tied to a tree and under a 3' x 3' spinnaker tarp. crazy

#117793 - 06/29/09 04:48 PM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: Pika]

Quote:
The lists that are posted on the forum tend to get pretty thoroughly keelhauled.

That's why I don't want to publish on BPL. I'd rather not have to wade through a lengthy diatribe insisting that I use pine cones instead of TP on my hemorrhoids!

#117794 - 06/29/09 04:54 PM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: Pika]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“However, I did post one of my older gear lists with my profile on BPL and it has been roundly ignored.”

I don’t think it has been ignored. I love it when people post their gear lists with their profile. It tells me a lot of their background and then I understand their posts better.

I ended up posting my partial gear list; the things I take the most often. Otherwise there are so many things that change every single trip:
Socks, PJ’s, hats, First Aid, bandana, toiletries, etc.

-Barry

#117798 - 06/29/09 05:44 PM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: OregonMouse]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Just trim your list down to a 4"x10" Cuben tarp and a balloon in a ziplock bag and you will do quite well over at BPL.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#117803 - 06/29/09 06:14 PM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: OregonMouse]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Quote:
That's why I don't want to publish on BPL. I'd rather not have to wade through a lengthy diatribe insisting that I use pine cones instead of TP on my hemorrhoids!

Yeah, I have read a few of those debates myself; a lot of heat but very little light. Sometimes the discussions on BPL puts me in mind of the bumpff on White Blaze. Someone inquiring about a tent is told to "get a hammock dips--t". frown

I have never found ignorance to be a barrier to opinion. Things tend to look different to someone in their twenties than they do to someone in their "golden years". laugh

#117811 - 06/29/09 08:12 PM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: Trailrunner]

Trail Runner, that tarp is way too big! 4' x 8' is better. Maybe even 3' x 6'! And why the balloon? A 1/8" thick torso pad is plenty enough!

Actually, I've found quite a few good ideas at BPL and to me it was worth the $25 to read the backlog of articles from prior years, although I won't renew when the time comes. The only article published this year that I found useful was the review of single-wall tents. Even the results of that one were repeated in the forum in the comments on the article, so it wasn't necessary to read the article itself. I'd rather pay the $25 here!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/29/09 08:12 PM)

#117814 - 06/29/09 08:46 PM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: OregonMouse]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
That's 4x10 inches. The balloon is to sleep on. grin

On a serious note, have you considered Practical Backpacking? It's not a bad site if you don't mind the stifiling moderator.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#117819 - 06/29/09 11:41 PM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: Trailrunner]

I'm already on that one, thanks. Known as grannyhiker over there. I keep thinking I'm going to quit that one, but every once in a big while something useful pops up or there's something that interests (or aggravates) me enough to post.

4x10 inches sounds about right! But they're all for teeny tiny closed cell pads (torso length at most) over there.

#117822 - 06/30/09 12:13 AM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: OregonMouse]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Quote:
The lists that are posted on the forum tend to get pretty thoroughly keelhauled.

grin

Soooo true. Or that we can all survive in a 32 or 45 degree bag in the Cascades in July. Brrrrr.......

#117823 - 06/30/09 12:18 AM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: OregonMouse]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Ok, here is a far-out idea. Can you take a picture or your printed list and post the picture on photo bucket along with you other pic's.
Not sure how it would work, but I used to make slides this way.
(that tells you how long ago it was!!!)

Tango

#117831 - 06/30/09 08:56 AM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: sarbar]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Hmm, having just suggested over there that a 32-degree bag works for me in some parts of the Cascades in July ...

Not meaning to defend (or attack) BPL here, but I haven't sensed a general attack-dog mentality there. I think it's about expectations. I'm not an ultralight backpacker, and while I haven't ever posted a list over there, I don't suspect it would be too beaten up by most folks so long as I made clear what I was aiming for. Certainly there would be posts suggesting how I could go lighter in ways that I wouldn't want to go, but it's always possible to get an insight from such feedback.

At any rate, I think it's possible to get ideas about lightening up by reading a lot of existing gear list threads, without any risk of feeling personally attacked. There, here, on whiteblaze, probably other places as well.

Okay, since I'm talking here maybe I should add to the actual thread content ... smile

One approach to posting a gear list (or anything) is to check with your ISP (internet service provider) to see if they offer any space to their users for web content. It's not major rocket science to learn how to use an FTP tool to upload an html web page to anywhere you can get permission to post such content to. And both MS Word and Excel allow you to add links in your content and save the result as an html page that can be so-uploaded.

If this sounds a little too geeky for you, perhaps you're related to or acquainted with a local geek who could walk you through the steps. Just avoid them talking you into some more complicated-yet-elegant scheme that represents how *they* would do it, and stick with a simple approach. I've built a web content process for a non-profit using strictly MS Word as the creation tool, and while indeed the underlying html is ugly stuff, a casual user doesn't need to know or care.

#117835 - 06/30/09 09:34 AM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Quote:

Darn, hilarious and so true... smile
Browse my pictures

#117836 - 06/30/09 09:38 AM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: BrianLe]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

If you have a place to put the gear list, It's easy enough
to put a link in your signature here for the posts. (and of course if you look at the bottom of mine you know why I'm suggesting it). I find leaving it there is relatively worthwhile because people know where I'm coming from when I post.

OTOH this does require you to have some sort of other personal
web site to put it on - i.e. go get yourself a google page or some other free website and put a text file of your gear list on it somewhere.
Browse my pictures

#117843 - 06/30/09 10:11 AM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: BrianLe]
sarbar Offline

Brian...my catty comment was more aimed at that if you dare say "I need my TP, my warm bag and by golly, an extra pair of socks to stay warm at night" you run the risk of being lambasted. I do well with keeping a low pack weight - but like OM, there are things that are not negotiable laugh

I should post my gear list these days! Been a long time laugh

#117872 - 06/30/09 09:45 PM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: sarbar]
BrianLe Offline

Okay Sarbar, if you post yours, I'll post mine and we can slam each other! wink

Hmm, but that gets back to "where to put it". I think I still remember how to ftp stuff to my ISP site ...

#117910 - 07/01/09 05:43 PM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: BrianLe]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Originally Posted By BrianLe
Okay Sarbar, if you post yours, I'll post mine and we can slam each other! wink

I think you need to agree on a "safe" word. wink

#117911 - 07/01/09 05:55 PM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: ringtail]
BrianLe Offline

Okay, I wasn't going there ...

Putting my gear-list where my electronic mouth is (how's that for mixing metaphors with a big spoon?), my list is here.

This is a sort of generic 3 season, or at least "2+" for backpacking in the Northwest, with of course various modifications depending on the specific trip. I sometimes add a 7 oz full length blue foam pad, bring a larger tent if my wife is on the trip, drop the tent (poncho-tarp) if rain seems unlikely, etc etc.

#117916 - 07/01/09 07:10 PM Re: "Publishing" gear lists--where? [Re: ringtail]
sarbar Offline

LOL!

I really need to update mine! I weighed everything again this week on my digital scale....got a better idea of everything - nice to do every couple years!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum