Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117713 - 06/27/09 05:58 PM Except for my belly, not worried about weight
Marc Offline

Loc: Iowa
I will never hike as what I perceive what most of you enjoy doing. I intend to pack weighted down and suffering for a minimal distance and then setting up camp for at least two days. I was reading the posts on the Primus Paklite Stove. It sounds ideal to me. I was only wondering if your views reflected ... well actually I am not sure. Forgive me but many times you may be steering me away from something which may be quite usefull to me. I truly respect your experience, but perhaps we are not hiking the same trail.
My point, if weight were no consideration, would this be a good stove to own or is there one you would prefer such as the pocket rocket. Unless any of you can convince me otherwise I think the Primus Paklite will serve it's purpose. Daisey told me to just boil water.

#117715 - 06/27/09 08:58 PM Re: Except for my belly, not worried about weight [Re: Marc]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I can't say for sure whether this stove will work for you; my only exposure to it is reading about it on REI's web site. Also, I don't know how you like to cook and eat - that's hugely important in choosing a stove.

I can tell you that I frequently use a Jetboil stove, and my most complex meal is a Lipton side dish, which requires minimal cooking. If the REI stats are true, and the system only weighs 17 ounces, you're within an ounce of the Jetboil.

However, I also frequently use an Snow Peak stove with a Trek 1400 titanium pot - the whole thing weighs half a pound less than this stove.

My point is that both systems perform equally well. A pound for an entire kitchen is reasonable, if you'll be doing some simmer-and-stir type cooking. If your style is just to boil water to add to a freeze-dried meal or instant oatmeal, it's overkill.

Don't let us talk you into or out of anything. Fit your gear to your style; you're the one who has to carry and use it. (I learned very long ago that They might know what works for Them, and I could seriously reduce my learning curve by listening to Them, but I also had to know when not to.)

Good luck - if you get it, let us know how you like it.

#117716 - 06/27/09 09:00 PM Re: Except for my belly, not worried about weight [Re: Marc]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
What makes it ideal for you? For one or two people I use a homemade alcohol stove with a grease pot from K-mart (total weight 7.5oz plus fuel) because I can steam real rice (not dehydrated) on it and it is light. For bigger groups I use a snowpeak gigapower and a 2 litre aluminum pot (total weight under 10oz plus the fuel and weight of the cartridge). For winter I use a MSR whisperlight with a 2 litre pot and a large coffee pot (total weight over 2lbs) for melting snow. Primus makes good stoves. What it is about this stove that you like better than any other possibility? If you have a good answer to that, it probably is the right stove for you. Just remember (as you seem to do)that you are posting in an area dedicated to lite gear and since Etapacklite is on the heavier end you'll get recomendations for other, lighter possibilities.

#117725 - 06/28/09 06:03 AM Re: Except for my belly, not worried about weight [Re: thecook]
Marc Offline

Loc: Iowa
Cook
To be honest I have no clue why the Primus stove would be ideal for me. I guess I just like how it looks to be all-in-one, compact, and easy to use. I have made several alcohol stoves ( cat food cans ) and I will get one of those pots from Kmart as you suggested. It may be that with practice that is all I will need. I must admit I have given very little thought as to what I will actually be eating. Starting from ground zero, I have been focused on and slightly overwhelmed just deciding what gear I want.
I love the information I get here and enjoy just reading the stories. I suppose I tend to think of this forum as just about hiking and camping, being outdoors, and forget that you are truly dedicated to traveling light. I certainly mean no disrespect and I apologize if I have come across that way.
Once I have gained enough experience doing things my way, I imagine the food situation will take care of itself. I have the feeling I will be living on a steady diet of crow.
Thanks for your help and I will try to be more thoughtful in any future posts.

#117727 - 06/28/09 08:05 AM Re: Except for my belly, not worried about weight [Re: Marc]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

If you're not sure, think about menu before you think about stove, and I'll give you this - I love alcohol stoves and use one most of the time, however, as someone getting into it and a little overwhelmed you might want to consider some kind of small canister stove first, because they are easy to use, not fiddly and you can do pretty much any sort of cooking on them. By all means try the alcohol stove method, and if you can put together a menu of food you like that pretty much only requires boiling water they will work great. Most importantly, try cooking and eating what you'll be doing on the trail at home first. make sure you like it.

Browse my pictures

#117775 - 06/29/09 01:51 PM Re: Except for my belly, not worried about weight [Re: Glenn]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Marc,

Personally I like the Primus PacLite stove for its very high efficiency. If I were in the market for a new stove and cookset combo that's the one I'd choose. I'm a fan of the pot-bottom heat exchanger idea which is almost identical to the JeBoil "Flux Ring". I use the JB 1.5 L. pot with all my stoves.

BUT, that said, I would carry only the stove, pot & lid, windscreen, fuel canister and a Cool Whip bowl. Everything else in the set I'd leave at home.

Eric

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 264 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum