Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116937 - 06/06/09 02:20 PM how many days in your bear can?
Paul Offline

Loc: California
I'm hoping folks could post how much food they are able to fit in their bear canisters. If you you would tell us:
1)which make and model of canister you have
2)how many days food you are able to fit
3)for how many people
4)if possible, how much the food weighs

Hopefully I'll get enough replies to come up with a reasonable average for person-days of food per unit of volume.

#116940 - 06/06/09 04:01 PM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: Paul]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have a BV 500. I can, if necessary, fit nearly 11 days worth of food for one person into it. This is on the basis of about 1.5 lb of food per day. Please note that my meal selection for the eleven days is planned for compactness and high calorie content rather than for flavor; for example, rice or couscous rather than ramen or macaroni. The full weight has ranged from 15 to 17 pounds. I cook in, and eat from, a pot rather than a bag; this helps save a little space since I use Baggies, trimmed after closing, rather than freezer bags. Freezer bags are heavy I have learned; 3-4 to an ounce. I also pre-compress a lot of stuff like granola to reduce the space it occupies.

When I pack the BV for a long hike, I generally spend a lot of time fitting things carefully into it, a full days food at a time, and I put things in according to my best estimate of when they will be coming out. This is important for the first few days. Mostly I will pack the BV before the trip but when I hiked the JMT last summer, I had to carry ten days worth from Muir Trail Ranch. This was mailed to MTR in a resupply bucket containing several vacuum-packed parcels. When I got to MTR, I had to unpack the resupply package, open the vacuum-sealed packages, and fit all of the stuff into the BV. Sadly, what fit at home did not quite fit at MTR. Fortunately, I anticipated this possibility and so included an Ursack with the resupply on the chance this would happen. I used the Ursack for about a day and a half south of MTR.

Edited by Pika (06/06/09 04:09 PM)

#116996 - 06/08/09 01:09 AM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: Paul]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I use a Bearikade Weekender. I've never pushed the limits, but for solo trips I've had up to 6 days' worth of food in there. I've never felt the need to hike longer than that, but if I did, I'm sure more would fit with proper meal planning and packing. I can usually fit my cookware in there as well as food.

I've also had 3 days' worth of food in there when hiking with my wife, and 2 days' worth for 3 people. There's always food left over, maybe a meal's worth. I've never tried to cram it full.

I think bear can manufacturers & park services have already done some equations to figure out food capacity in terms of volume and # of days per person. I think they're based on "typical" food choices for hikers, though; the average person isn't going to try to get the most bang per ounce or cubic inch. It would be interesting to see how the lightweight crowd fares.

#116997 - 06/08/09 01:25 AM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: Paul]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I have the Bear-i-Kade Weekender. As Pika said, if I select food strictly what packs tight, I can get 10 days in for myself. This is at 1.3 pounds per day, 2,400-2,600 calories per day. Everything is REALLY squished! I also have to re-pack everything in thin zip-lock baggies.

Remember, that on a 10-day trip, you can keep out lunch and dinner the first day and I only plan on breakfast for the last day. For the last day's lunch I just eat whatever is left over. So a 10-day trip is really 9 full days of food that has to go in the cannister.

There is no room for toothpaste, sunscreen etc until the second day. I have done 12 day trips where I stay at campsites with bear boxes the first two nights.

#117005 - 06/08/09 08:57 AM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: wandering_daisy]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I just got the Bearicade Weekender for Christmas, but when using my Garcia Machine canister, all my food for an eight day trip fit into it, so I could do a nine day solo trip. Just there is no room until the third day out in it for other stuff, for whatever reason.:)

#117016 - 06/08/09 12:36 PM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: Wolfeye]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
If you mastered Tetris you will be able to pack a canister with ease. grin

#117024 - 06/08/09 04:19 PM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: sarbar]
Jeff Offline

Loc: Nevada
Last summer my wife and I packed two Bearacade expedition canisters with 12 days of food each. We planned 1.25 pounds per person per day. Most food was home dried and contained in zip locks. Prepackaged stuff was removed from original wrappers and packed in bulk in ziplocks. Food by weight was nuts, dried fruit, homemade jerky, corn nuts and Luna bars. Canisters weighed in at about 15 pounds at the start of the trip. We ended up with leftover food. This was the first half of a 265 mile PCT/John Muir trail hike

Jeff

#117070 - 06/09/09 07:53 PM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: Pika]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
My Garcia black can will hold 10 days of FREEZER BAG meals W/ Trader Joe's oatmeal breakfasts and 10 Cliff bars. Good enuf fer me.

Eric

#117481 - 06/22/09 03:36 AM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: Paul]
Pat-trick Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I was shocked to read that folks are getting anywhere from 5-12 days of food into a bear can! I'm planning a multi-month trip, with monthly resuppy, and until just a few minutes ago, I had been planning to use a Bear Vault 500. Now, after reading the thread about actual bear threats experienced by members here, i'm planning on using the PCT stuff sack method. But I figured that I could get a month's worth of food into it, 'cause it will be all dry grains and legumes and raisins. I plan to supplement my diet by foraging for natural food stuffs, and by sprouting a variety of the dry goods, like alfalfa seeds, mung beans, lentils, etc. I'll rough grind the beans that I'll cook, and I ought to have a fairly interesting and varied diet. I may have to learn how to track bears so I can find their berry bushes. Kidding! I'll be using some kind of woodgas stove for my primary, maybe the Bushbuddy Ultra, with a Vargo Triad as backup. This trip is going to be relaxed, possibly a meandering exploration of the earth, with no goal except to enjoy myself. I'm starting up here in NE New York, and I have no idea yet where I'm going. Maybe Maine first. It's not about the destination, it's about the going. Anyway, I thought I could feed a platoon for a week out of a bear can! But then, my meals are not prepared. I'll be carrying staples and making meals "out there". I made a pile of 9 pounds of brown rice, chick peas, mung beans, lentils, black beans, northern beans, alfalfa seeds, split peas, and French lentils on my coffee table, and measured the dimensions of the stacked pile, and it came to 270 cubic inches. I figured I could get at least 15 pounds in the can, plus my coffee, toothpaste, oatmeal, raisins, and meds, and that would be enough, with local augmentation, to feed the platoon for a week. If they don't come, I ought to be able to eat for the month on all those dry goods. Time will tell. I've never packed just staples before. I've always bought those expensive freeze-dried meals (which are awful, by the way). But I'm determined to become Mr. Natural, and stay out of the city. Plus I'd like to see the USA first hand. I'll have to go southward when it turns cold, to find veggies and fruits. And to not freeze. Adventure! Hey, I'm retired and widowed, I'm entitled to livin the sweet life. Luckily, I love sitting in front of a wood fire, and I love to cook. It's a great way to pass the time, isn't it? Maybe I'll make some wild friends in the process.

#117486 - 06/22/09 10:01 AM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: Pat-trick]
Pika Online   content

I think you are being a little optimistic about the amount of food you will be able to carry or you are underestimating the amount you will need.

To maintain your body weight under conditions of moderate exercise, you will need roughly 18 calories per day per pound of body weight. Assuming you weigh 160 lb, that is about 2800 calories per day. Your 15 lb of food, as described as mostly grains, should furnish 100 to 110 calories per ounce. Your 15 pounds of food will be 240 oz times (say) 110 calories per oz or 26,400 calories total. Dividing this by your daily requirement of 2800 calories gives you a 9.5 day supply of food.

I also think you are overoptimistic about the amount of food you can forage. Remember, you need to spend a lot of time finding food in the wild. You need an awful large pile of foraged greens to supply any calorie content at all. Yes, you can pick berries, in season, but a full cup of blueberries or blackberries will provide about 100 calories; are you ready to eat 28 cups of berries to meet your day's requirement? Trout will provide roughly 30 calories per ounce of uncooked fish. Enough trout to avoid weight loss would amount to about 93 oz or nearly six pounds. Hunting won't help much since carrying a firearm through many different legal jurisdictions can be complicated. And, a hunting license is required even to hunt squirrels; out-of-state licenses are expensive.

The last thing I want to do here is to discourage you from making the trip you are planning; I envy you the freedom. But, please take the reality of calorie requirements and the number of calories you can carry and find into your planning before you set out. You can easily start the trip with a well developed "reserve tank" or belly. Midriff fat contains 3500 calories per pound and will nicely supplement otherwise sparse rations. Hiking can be an excellent weight loss regimen but if you are already lean, you don't want to loose weight.

#117490 - 06/22/09 11:26 AM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: Pika]
Pat-trick Offline

Originally Posted By Pika
I think you are being a little optimistic about the amount of food you will be able to carry or you are underestimating the amount you will need... The last thing I want to do here is to discourage you from making the trip you are planning; I envy you the freedom. But, please take the reality of calorie requirements and the number of calories you can carry and find into your planning before you set out. You can easily start the trip with a well developed "reserve tank" or belly. Midriff fat contains 3500 calories per pound and will nicely supplement otherwise sparse rations. Hiking can be an excellent weight loss regimen but if you are already lean, you don't want to loose weight.

Yipes! I think you are right! I researched your figures (calories per ounce) and checked your math, and by golly, you are right! Darn it! Well, there's youthful enthusiasm for ya, running again into that brick wall of reality. I do weigh 225 pounds, so maybe that 15 pounds of food would be enough for a week, or less. I had thought that because my foods would be in "staple" form, that I would get more calories per pound out of them. Where do I come up with these ideas? confused So I guess the usual rule of thumb for weight of food per day per person applies even to me?? Is that what you're saying? I hate that! Well thank you for the reality check. It's probably better to know this stuff before I head out. thanks Perhaps I ought to think this through a little. <applause> I'm glad I ran this idea by some experienced backpackers. Maybe I'll hang out on the forum for a while, make a spreadsheet, do some calculations, before heading off on my grand adventure. I imagined myself the day after eating the quantity of berries you mentioned, and it wasn't a pretty picture! That must be why wild bears sh!t in the woods. They can't wait! hahaha. Looks like I have LOTS to learn yet.

#117494 - 06/22/09 11:33 AM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: Pat-trick]
Pika Online   content

Quote:
That must be why wild bears sh!t in the woods.

In berry season, bears kind of "spray" in the woods eek . A lot of the forest is temporarily painted purple.

#117496 - 06/22/09 11:44 AM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: Pika]
Pat-trick Offline

Purple spray... that would be different! eek

#117574 - 06/24/09 11:41 AM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: Pat-trick]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By Pat-trick
Originally Posted By Pika
I think you are being a little optimistic about the amount of food you will be able to carry or you are underestimating the amount you will need... The last thing I want to do here is to discourage you from making the trip you are planning; I envy you the freedom. But, please take the reality of calorie requirements and the number of calories you can carry and find into your planning before you set out. You can easily start the trip with a well developed "reserve tank" or belly. Midriff fat contains 3500 calories per pound and will nicely supplement otherwise sparse rations. Hiking can be an excellent weight loss regimen but if you are already lean, you don't want to loose weight.

Yipes! I think you are right! I researched your figures (calories per ounce) and checked your math, and by golly, you are right! Darn it! Well, there's youthful enthusiasm for ya, running again into that brick wall of reality. I do weigh 225 pounds, so maybe that 15 pounds of food would be enough for a week, or less. I had thought that because my foods would be in "staple" form, that I would get more calories per pound out of them. Where do I come up with these ideas? confused So I guess the usual rule of thumb for weight of food per day per person applies even to me?? Is that what you're saying? I hate that! Well thank you for the reality check. It's probably better to know this stuff before I head out. thanks Perhaps I ought to think this through a little. <applause> I'm glad I ran this idea by some experienced backpackers. Maybe I'll hang out on the forum for a while, make a spreadsheet, do some calculations, before heading off on my grand adventure. I imagined myself the day after eating the quantity of berries you mentioned, and it wasn't a pretty picture! That must be why wild bears sh!t in the woods. They can't wait! hahaha. Looks like I have LOTS to learn yet.

It looks like you are trying to stay vegetarian for the food intake. Instead of discouraging you, I recommend adding some olive oil. That is still vegetarian, healthy, and packs a lot of calories for the weight.

#117582 - 06/24/09 01:52 PM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: finallyME]
Pat-trick Offline

Doc says no oil, period. For people with heart disease, any oil is bad.

#117587 - 06/24/09 04:44 PM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: Pat-trick]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“Doc says no oil, period. For people with heart disease, any oil is bad.”

This is very surprising. Some of your calories should come from fats. It is necessary for the body. Unsaturated fat is the best; Olive oil lowers bad cholesterol and raises good cholesterol. I can’t see why your doctor would disagree ????

-Barry

#117598 - 06/24/09 07:03 PM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: BarryP]
Pat-trick Offline

Originally Posted By BarryP
Some of your calories should come from fats. It is necessary for the body. Unsaturated fat is the best; Olive oil lowers bad cholesterol and raises good cholesterol. I can’t see why your doctor would disagree ????

Apparently fat naturally occurs in food. For example I don't eat avocados, and I limit peanut butter. The doc in question is Dean Ornish. I call him my doc 'cause I read his book "How to Reverse Heart Disease". He presents the major research on heart disease. In addition, he designed a 4-prong program based on major research, combining beneficial factors for a healthy heart. One of the factors is a no-added-fat vegetarian diet. He does talk at length about oils, how olive oil is low in saturated fat, and canola oil is even lower. He says there's enough fat in foods for the body's uses, and limiting saturated fats is imperative for heart patients. He set up a research study using the 4 factors (the diet, exercise, stress reduction, social support), and the results were presented in the AMA Journal of Medicine a long time ago. He used very precise and somewhat invasive techniques to measure artery lumens (size of the opening in an artery cross-section), and other measurements, to track progress in the participating patients. Apparently all participants showed improvement in their condition, and the more they adhered to the program, the more improvements were achieved. Cessation of angina was universally quick in participants, and all participants who followed the program returned to active life, including backpacking, biking, hiking, etc. I don't know, I just read the book, it made sense to me at the time, and I can't quote what you need to hear about the oil question, since I don't have the book. But the next time you're in a major bookstore, find his book and use the index to find the info. I'm pretty sure it's about limiting the saturated fat.

#117602 - 06/24/09 08:31 PM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: BarryP]
Pat-trick Offline

Here's a short, one-page interview of the doc by a dietician, and he mentions the oil thing. Apparently I'm on the reversal diet, rather than the prevention diet. It's very oil-restricted. Still, when I do buy processed foods, I check to be sure the saturated fat content is 10% or under. Don't tell anyone, but I do cheat sometimes.

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/td_020909p48.shtml
wink

#117605 - 06/24/09 09:20 PM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: Pat-trick]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
Dean Ornish has some very compelling arguments. I would like to see someone do a study on "normal fat" vs no fat vs "good fat".

#117624 - 06/25/09 10:52 AM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: Pat-trick]
sarbar Offline

The only issue with not adding healthy fat or oil to your diet is this:
When you are physically active (unlike hanging out in a cubicle all day at work) your body will at some point NEED the fat. Otherwise you will start consuming your muscles for needed calories.

Yes, oil does exist naturally in food. It also can go stale then rancid in long term storage. So if you are carrying brown rice or things with flax, wheat germ, etc - be sure to keep tightly sealed. The good thing is normally you can smell it when it goes stale, flat smelling.

As well, for long term hiking don't discount a little oil added to dinner to keep one "regular".

While one doesn't want to go on a fat fest something to consider is the average 20 something thru hiker of the PCT. By the time I see them in mid Washington in late August they all look the same: ultra thin, just wiry thin muscles and they eat all freaking day long. They literally cannot get enough food in by then - and fat tends to a big choice.

You just have to pick wisely what you use for fat and use it sparingly.

Most of all though with an all whole foods diet...don't forget the herbs and spices to make life taste better - and expect longer cooking times - the trade off on cooking time vs fuel would be a big reason to carry precooked versions. Your wood burning stove will remove that issue.

Btw, if you are planning on doing whole grains have you ever read the original green cover version of "Simple Foods For The Pack"? You have to get the 1970's version - it covers cooking lentils, brown rice and other staples.

#117633 - 06/25/09 01:14 PM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: sarbar]
Pat-trick Offline

"The only issue with not adding healthy fat or oil to your diet is this:
When you are physically active (unlike hanging out in a cubicle all day at work) your body will at some point NEED the fat. Otherwise you will start consuming your muscles for needed calories."

Assuming we have a healthy body here, with normal metabolic channels functioning, if there's not enough fat (or any kind of substance) available in the diet, then the body will dip into its reserves. There are cellular reserves, tissue reserves in the form of fatty tissue, aka adipose, as well as other reserves. In a time of shortage, the body would tap all those first. The body will only consume muscle tissue when there is nothing coming in, and ALL its reserves are exhausted. This only occurs when a person is emaciated and starving. In that case it would consume muscles first, then proceed to the organs, starting with those that are less essential to staying alive. Fat occurs naturally in foods. A serving of bananas or pears have about 1/10th the amount of fat as a serving of Oreo cookies, but they still have fat. Plant derived foods have lots less fat content than animal derived foods, and they are associated with heart health. Vegans have less heart disease than anyone. Their fat consumption is low, particularly of the saturated variety.

"As well, for long term hiking don't discount a little oil added to dinner to keep one "regular"."

Whole grains/legumes are super high in fiber, which results in regularity. Oil is not required. Oil may help if a person eats a low fiber diet, for example a diet high in animal products. In that scenario, oil may help compacted materials to slide out. In fact, taking a shot of oil used to be a treatment for constipation. Today, adding plant-based foods to a diet will increase all the elements needed for improved nutrition, digestion, and elimination.

"While one doesn't want to go on a fat fest something to consider is the average 20 something thru hiker of the PCT. By the time I see them in mid Washington in late August they all look the same: ultra thin, just wiry thin muscles and they eat all freaking day long. They literally cannot get enough food in by then - and fat tends to a big choice."

The Boston Red Sox shortstop, Nick Green, is so thin he looks a little cadaverish. We here in the US are so used to being husky, hefty, hunky, etc, that when we see a world class athlete like Nick Green or other elite athletes (like some thru hikers), we think they look gaunt, sick, unhealthy. They have few reserves of adipose tissue, and they do feel the need to eat plenty. People tend to associate a well-fed person with health, but scientific inquiry has shown that slightly underfed laboratory animals live longer, are more active, and are less likely to fall ill. My personal goal is to become thin again. When I weighed 165 pounds (at 6'0" height), I could run ten miles in 70 minutes without breathing hard or my pulse rising above 100. I was thin, but I was all muscle. My resting heart rate was 38. That didn't mean I was about to die, haha. It meant I was a stud. Don't worry about those thru hikers. If they have energy to hike and pack, they're probably getting enough to eat.

Being hungry is a natural and healthy thing. Most people in the US probably don't feel hungry very often, 'cause mealtimes are so regimented here. It's better to just eat when you're hungry, and eat as much as you want. The secret is to eat the right things - not junk. And NOT EATING (God forbid!!) is a centuries old technique to improve health, awareness, and self-control. Thin is not IN, but it ought to be! wink

#117636 - 06/25/09 02:11 PM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: BarryP]
Pat-trick Offline

Originally Posted By BarryP
“ Olive oil lowers bad cholesterol and raises good cholesterol. I can’t see why your doctor would disagree ????

I've never heard that before. I've heard that in the general population there is a statistical link between olive oil use and lower bad cholesterol, but I've not heard that the oil itself lowers the bad and raises the good. If I took olive oil supplementation, or used it regularly in cooking, my bad cholesterol would definitely go up. I don't use oil at all, except when cheating (I'll use a little if cooking for friends). The way I have heard it explained, that makes sense to me, is that olive oil has a smaller percentage of saturated fat than most other oils (14%) and therefore it would raise the bad cholesterol less than other oils would raise it. But it still raises it. That's why, on my restricted diet, I don't use oil.

#117646 - 06/25/09 07:06 PM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: Pat-trick]
sarbar Offline

There is a difference between eating healthy, enjoying life and being healthy - and going overboard.

I would say this: if you are going to cut all added oil and fast out of your diet I would hope you are seeing a Doctor in person, preferably a heart specialist if you have heart issues. And not basing it on simply what is in a book. It isn't something to mess with! You need a balanced diet that will provide nutrients, protein and everything your body needs. Fat is something we DO need to survive. Just not in the portions of say a double cheeseburger and a large fry order. A dinner made with a Tablespoon of first press EVOO is not only tasty, it is good for you. Moderation is of course the key!

You go to low with fat you WILL have issues! It is a good way to have unhealthy skin, loss of hair and other issues crop up. Just thinking of my Aunt who was borderline anorexic who starved herself and also only ate around 10 grams of fat a day - brrrr. Those are some bad memories. I starved myself as well when I was college aged, it was neither pretty nor good for me. Frankly, there is a difference between being in shape and at a reasonable weight than just being skinny.
http://www.dietbites.com/article1097.html

As for my comment on being regular....sure, whole grains/vegetables and legumes have plenty of fiber - but fiber alone is not always enough.

As well, certain vegetables their nutrients are taken in better by the body with a tiny amount of oil added.

I don't buy the no oil added unless, and only unless, you are under direct orders by a doctor specializing in it.

#117647 - 06/25/09 07:27 PM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: sarbar]
lori Offline

I'm thinking now of someone I knew who put himself on a cyclical no carb diet - he would eat meat only and work out (weight training) for a week, then eat moderate amounts of carbs, then cycle through again. But the minute he pulled a muscle or tore something, he went off the diet until he healed because *injuries don't heal without carbs*.

I can't see that anyone could possibly maintain a healthy lifestyle without eating adequate amounts of all the things that they need, and I am always suspicious of diets that go to extremes. I certainly wouldn't do anything radical without talking to an actual medical professional or nutritionist. I really don't trust the word of some guy trying to sell books when it comes to my health. Guess I've seen too many fad diets come and go to really believe everything I read. Colon cleansing, anyone?

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#117656 - 06/26/09 12:03 AM Re: how many days in your bear can? [Re: sarbar]
Pat-trick Offline

Whoa, easy does it. I have excellent medical care and am being closely monitored by my doctor, 4 times a year. Thanks for your concern. I think I save 1.25 ounces by not having to tote a little bottlette of evoo with me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum