Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117353 - 06/17/09 11:53 AM Permethrin on clothing . . .
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Here's somebody who has put a brand name on permethrin treated clothing and gotten some pretty big endorsements for permethrin treatment. I take this as the final encouragement I need to start doing it myself.

http://www.insectshield.com/Video/default.htm

#117357 - 06/17/09 12:27 PM Re: Permethrin on clothing . . . [Re: Keith]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
Pretty funny video. So how does it protect the women and men shown in the shots wearing shorts? Also, what protection was there for the arms of the sleeveless shirts? My only point is that it not as care-free and easy as they show. You really have got to cover up all exposed skin as much as possible.

#117359 - 06/17/09 12:37 PM Re: Permethrin on clothing . . . [Re: OldScout]
Whitefoot Offline

Loc: Connecticut
I've had Lyme disease, and since I live in Lyme central, I use permethrin on all of my designated 'woods' clothing, but yeah, it's not a complete answer.
It does have some repellent effect AROUND the treated clothing, but not enough to keep biting insects and other nasties off of large areas of exposed skin....some other type of repellant is still required.

That said, nothing works better than permethrin at keeping the ticks at bay..although I find it a lot easier and more reliable to treat your clothes yourself, as opposed to buying pre-treated.

Keep this stuff away from your pets, though!!!! Especially cats.

#117367 - 06/17/09 03:35 PM Re: Permethrin on clothing . . . [Re: Whitefoot]
Keith Offline

Originally Posted By Whitefoot
<snip> I find it a lot easier and more reliable to treat your clothes yourself, as opposed to buying pre-treated.

Self-treatment is my intention. There have been other posts about doing that, but I'd be interested in your procedure . . .

#117384 - 06/18/09 10:50 AM Re: Permethrin on clothing . . . [Re: Keith]
Whitefoot Offline

Loc: Connecticut
well, some people have a skin sensitivity to permethrin, some even after it's cured, so first you want to make sure that you don't. I'd treat a pair of pants or something, then wear them for a day to be certain that no rashes pop up.

As far as a method...Just lay out the clothes you want to treat (I treat everything, including socks and underwear, but that's just me), then spray every inch of the fabric, giving it a good wet coating....kind of like spray painting it. If you use the Repel version of the product, one can will most likely treat two pairs of pants and two shirts....

After it's soaked, hang it or drape it over a clothesline until it's completely dry. That's it.

The cans claim that the treatment is good for several washings or a few weeks....I just re-treat every couple of weeks, or after I've washed them a couple of times. Then again, I use this stuff on my dedicated hiking clothes, which don't get washed all that often, so your mileage may vary.

Don't use this stuff in your house, or in windy conditions, as it tends to drift around a lot, and you don't want to touch the wet chemical, so maybe wear gloves.

#117388 - 06/18/09 12:15 PM Re: Permethrin on clothing . . . [Re: Keith]
OldScout Offline

Originally Posted By Keith
Originally Posted By Whitefoot
<snip> I find it a lot easier and more reliable to treat your clothes yourself, as opposed to buying pre-treated.

Self-treatment is my intention. There have been other posts about doing that, but I'd be interested in your procedure . . .

Keith, there was an extensive discussion about this about two years ago with several updates. You should search the archives using the word "permethrin." There were several methods suggested and many questions answered. I get mine in concentrate from an insecticide dealer and then make up several gallons of the stuff. I then totally soak the clothes, wring them out, and hang them on the back fence to dry. I let them dry completely and then lightly rinse them out again with clean water to remove the excess permethrin. I also set up my tent and spray my bug netting. I sit in the tent and spray outwards to keep the spray off the body and floor of the tent. Works great. I've watched skitters land on the netting and immediately fly off.

First time I did this I didn't remove the excess from my clothes. I sweat alot when hiking so tend to go swimming in my hiking clothes when I hit camp to clean the clothes and me. I was wading into Big Heart Lake in the Cascades in my treated clothes and realized that huge clouds of white residue were billowing off my clothes in the water. Probably an ecological disaster. I have always rinsed my clothes since then.

#117390 - 06/18/09 12:51 PM Re: Permethrin on clothing . . . [Re: OldScout]
Keith Offline

O.S.,
Thanks for the post. I recall the discussion some years ago and couldn't seem to get to the nitty gritty when I tried to look it up recently.

I think I'll go ahead and use your treatment procedure.

#117400 - 06/18/09 04:44 PM Re: Permethrin on clothing . . . [Re: Keith]
OldScout Offline

I see what you mean. I guess you can't search beyond one year.

#117410 - 06/19/09 12:39 AM Re: Permethrin on clothing . . . [Re: OldScout]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
There are "archive" links on the top left of this screen. The search function there goes back two years.

I use the spray stuff sold at Wally World. One can does two shirts, a hat, a pair of shorts and a pair of long pants. Plus a little left over for my tent. Seems to work well.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum