Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117216 - 06/13/09 12:03 AM Which brand trekking poles to buy?
NitroSteel Offline

I'm tired of my Wal-Mart poles falling apart and the grips and straps rubbing my hands raw. I looked at some Leki poles the other day, but haven't had a chance to look at Black Diamond or other brand poles.

I've read a few reviews of folks that thought the Leki locking mechanisms weren't as good as the BD's, however it seemed that no one on the trail (AT) had the BD poles, most all had Leki brand.

I'm looking at the Leki Thermolite Aergon XL poles. They seemed really comfortable, light and of good quality. Can you talk me into buying another brand/pole?

Thank you,

Nitrosteel

#117217 - 06/13/09 12:13 AM Re: Which brand trekking poles to buy? [Re: NitroSteel]
rockraven Offline

Loc: tennessee
I am just starting to look myself, and I may be sold on the bd's the carbon stuff shock absortion in some of their poles won't have that click clack click clack... And their supposed to be stronger which I don't know will matter when I double them up for my tent pole...
At least some of them have an elipticle design which give them more fore and aft strength , but does that weaken side to side strength?
Are they heavier? I do not know?
At least according to dude I called at the outfitters the twist adj. ones are more prone to fail get jammed have to be cleaned or is easier to break but never heard of one breaking but I haven't seen one in 9 years either. BD's adjuster is supposed to be easisier to adj. in cold, quicker...
Maybe someone can clear this up for us..

#117218 - 06/13/09 12:15 AM Re: Which brand trekking poles to buy? [Re: NitroSteel]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
I'd suggest getting the lightest solid carbon fiber poles you can find. Shock absorbtion is completely un-needed with carbon. Too bad Luxurylite doesn't make their regular poles anymore, I really like mine . . .

#117224 - 06/13/09 01:46 AM Re: Which brand trekking poles to buy? [Re: NitroSteel]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I really like my Tracks.

http://www.trackspoles.com/

Mine is the Sherlock model. They have had a lot of hard use and are still as good as new except for some minor scratches. The rubber tips screw on very solid and can be removed if one prefers to use the spike (as in icy conditions). To tops remove to allow for camera attachment. They are very adjustable and sturdy. I don't know how they compare weight wise but I like mine. I have two of them.

Howie

Howie

#117230 - 06/13/09 08:27 AM Re: Which brand trekking poles to buy? [Re: Howie]
rambler Offline

I would recommend Leki because of their excellent customer service. Due to hard use, not workmanship, I have had two poles fail. They were immediately replaced by Leki through the mail. No questions asked.
You will not believe how light, yet strong, carbon fiber poles are. Newer versions do come in adjustable lengths, but most are fixed length and without hand straps or loops. (Gossamer Gear, Titanium Goat) The tips can be replaced with Leki parts, if necessary.
Spring loaded poles do take stress off the arms to help reliveve tennis elbow which can occur rarely. The spring loaded pole are heavier than those without.

#117242 - 06/13/09 07:27 PM Re: Which brand trekking poles to buy? [Re: rockraven]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
"At least some of them have an elipticle design which give them more fore and aft strength , but does that weaken side to side strength?
Are they heavier? I do not know?"

Recently I had to redeem an already expired gift voucher, so I purchased a pair of BD Contour Carbon. Only the top section is CF, they are elliptical.
I tested those against my BD Approach now about 7 to 9 years old . The new ones are lighter and stronger in every direction.
They also have a double flick lock, very easy to use and never failed on my Approach version.
Just in case, this is the way poles should be used.Note in particular the use of the strap.
http://www.alpkit.com/support/products/how-to-use-trekking-poles
Franco

#117245 - 06/13/09 09:58 PM Re: Which brand trekking poles to buy? [Re: Franco]
runsmtns Offline

I also have a pair of the BD Contour Carbons and they are fine poles.

However I recently bought a pair of Gossamer Gear Lite Trek 4's and they are far superior to any I have used. They are so light the swing weight is just amazing. I love the fake cork grips and they locking mech. has never failed. I have only had them for a couple months but have used them hard. A bit more expensive than many other but well worth it IMO.

Ed

#117246 - 06/13/09 10:06 PM Re: Which brand trekking poles to buy? [Re: runsmtns]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By runsmtns
I also have a pair of the BD Contour Carbons and they are fine poles.

However I recently bought a pair of Gossamer Gear Lite Trek 4's and they are far superior to any I have used. They are so light the swing weight is just amazing. I love the fake cork grips and they locking mech. has never failed. I have only had them for a couple months but have used them hard. A bit more expensive than many other but well worth it IMO.

Ed

+1

I post about my Lightrek 4s from time to time in other forums and usually am immediately dismissed because they don't have straps and "carbon fiber snaps easy" - what no one seems to understand, and rightly so because they haven't tried them, is that a pole that weighs 3.5 oz feels a LOT different than even lightweight metal poles. I had some Komperdell poles that weighed 8 oz apiece and thought I had light poles; the GG poles feel like nothing, like an extension of my arm, and the twist locks are different than the Komperdells (which after a year of heavy use failed). I could not find parts or instructions or any way to get Komperdell to fix their twist locks; GG sends a little bag of parts with the poles, and I have no doubt based on my experience of their customer service that they would fix the poles for a small fee. (I recently sent back my Mariposa Plus to be retrofitted with the new aluminum stay; you tell me what major pack mfr would do this for twenty five bucks.)

So yes, I am totally sold on the GG poles, despite the lack of straps that I thought I would miss. I was one of those annoying people who insist the straps are necessary. Not anymore.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#117302 - 06/15/09 08:35 PM Re: Which brand trekking poles to buy? [Re: lori]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Another vote for the Light Trek 4s. Here's my video review of them:

http://jasonklass.blogspot.com/2009/01/gossamer-gear-light-trek-4-trekking.html

They're the best poles I've ever used, hands down.

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#117332 - 06/16/09 05:20 PM Re: Which brand trekking poles to buy? [Re: jasonklass]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
I’ve been loving my Lightrek 3’s. Most adjustable-pole hikers set their length and never touch it again for the whole trip. Thus fixed-length is simple and light (2.5oz!). I’ve been using Lightreks for about 5 years.

There is no forearm fatigue and hand swelling is totally eliminated.
Good luck in your choice smile
-Barry

#117335 - 06/16/09 07:31 PM Re: Which brand trekking poles to buy? [Re: rambler]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I find that I like them at different lengths going up than I do going down, therefore the fixed lengths would not work for me. I have been using a $10..00 trekking pole from wal-mart (two of them) for around four years and they seem to be holding up pretty well. They are sort of an extra "perk" for me. An insurance policy if you will...sabre11004... thanks

#117420 - 06/20/09 12:14 AM Re: Which brand trekking poles to buy? [Re: sabre11004]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
I can vouch for the BD flicklock mechanism being easy to use and stout. I have a pair of BD poles for backcountry skiing, and use the adjustments pretty often, with varying types of handwear. I also like them as a tent pole. I use them to support my MSR twin peaks , and the fact that they adjust without twisting makes it easy to tighten up the roof from the inside by jacking up the poles a little bit.

#117733 - 06/28/09 11:05 AM Re: Which brand trekking poles to buy? [Re: Paul]
Scott V Offline

Loc: Northern KY
I have Leki poles now. I like the twist lock better than my old BD flicklocks. THe twistlocks are very sound. The lekis are not ultralight, but I use them alot and they are solidly built.

#117763 - 06/29/09 09:42 AM Re: Which brand trekking poles to buy? [Re: Scott V]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Just after I bought a pair of Leki Carbonlite poles on sale, Gossamer Gear announced that they were going to put out a version of the Lightrek 4 poles with straps. They are now on the market, although the regular size is currently out of stock.

I have to have the straps--I put a lot of weight on my poles at times, and gripping the pole to do so (instead of putting my weight on the strap) aggravates my carpal tunnel syndrome.

I don't really want to buy another set of poles to save 5 ounces, having already spent too much money to save 11 oz. on my tent and 8 oz. on my sleeping pad. I'll therefore stick with the Lekis for a while. I've used Lekis since 1989 (back then it was a single adjustable walking stick) and been very happy with them (I still use my heavier 5-year-old Leki Makalu poles for exercise walking and conditioning hikes). At some point, though, I'm sure I'll end up with the Gossamer Gear poles.

After a year's hiatus, Titanium Goat has their Adjustable Goat poles back in stock. They come with or without straps.

Fixed length doesn't work for me, either--I need 105 cm. for hiking, but my shelters require 110 to 125 cm.

While researching poles last fall (looking for lighter poles than the 18-oz. Leki Makalus), I found that Black Diamond poles, even the carbon fiber ones, are definitely heavier. I also had a lot of problems working the flicklocks on the ones I tried in the store. Probably not a problem for those with more strength in their fingers than I have!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/29/09 09:56 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum