Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117037 - 06/08/09 11:57 PM Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and popu
Jaigooroo Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Hey everyone! new here.

Im leaving to go on my first solo backpacking trip to the weminuche wilderness.

first qeustion: anyone who has been there is it crowded for the most part? thats what i've read. where are the crowded areas and where are the un crowded areas?

second question: For some reason (stupid reason) I have a fear of black bears. i know its totally ridiculous, it just my little fear. are there places in the weminuche where bears are less commonly found? and is it likely for a black bear to tear into my tent. im gonna be using the 100 yard rule, so i doubt anything will be coming into my campsite.

i just need ya guys to reassure me a young male black bear isn't gonna come chow down on my guts.

thanks everyone.
happy to be here.

btw: sorry if this is in the wrong section, i need to learn the ropes.
cheers!

#117051 - 06/09/09 01:38 PM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and popu [Re: Jaigooroo]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
just need ya guys to reassure me a young male black bear isn't gonna come chow down on my guts.

I won't try to tell you this is impossible, because that would be untrue. However, in terms of calculating the odds, you are maybe 100 times more likely to get struck by lightning.

But try this out for a reassuring fact: black bears are not predators, at least not in the same sense that, for example, the big cats are. They are opportunists who always reach for the easiest meal.

You are not an easy meal. You are too big and much too dangerous for that. Only a terribly hungry bear who is getting rather desperate is going to try to eat you. If anything, that bear will go after your food supply, not you.

Incidentally, you are correct in surmising that a two-year old male bear is the most likely candidate for making an attempt on you - because young bears who've recently been chased off by their mama are inexperienced, unwise and more likely to get into dire straits than an older bear, and maybe just foolish enough to challenge another alpha predator. It happens, but so rarely that it is a one in a million shot.

So, don't take bear safety for granted. Just understand that the odds are HUGELY in your favor.

#117063 - 06/09/09 05:02 PM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and popu [Re: Jaigooroo]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Sorry dude, you are gonna die. Last time I saw a black bear, it chowed down on my guts and I died. In fact, it has happened to a lot of people on this forum. Just ask 'em. wink wink

#117066 - 06/09/09 05:22 PM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and popu [Re: Jaigooroo]
Marc Offline

Loc: Iowa
To date I have not backpacked a single mile. But I have however been married and divorced 3 times so I do know what it is like to have your guts chewed out. I am planning a solo trip almost a year from now and trying to sleep with fear was my main concern. You will get some resposes to your fear with compassion and a few will seem to attempt to enhance those fears. The latter only do so because they know through experience that your fears are basically unfounded. They helped me see my fears for what they really are...my own worst enemy. Type.. Freaky Nighttime Woods Noises.. in the search box. I found it on page 5. I found it to be comforting and pretty darn funny. Good Luck

#117067 - 06/09/09 06:47 PM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and popu [Re: finallyME]
Jaigooroo Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
Sorry dude, you are gonna die. Last time I saw a black bear, it chowed down on my guts and I died. In fact, it has happened to a lot of people on this forum. Just ask 'em. wink wink

Oh how terribly excited i am, just dandy. can't wait!

#117068 - 06/09/09 06:57 PM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and popu [Re: Jaigooroo]
Marc Offline

Loc: Iowa
One last thought and I will shutup. When I confided with my brother about my fear of bears he told me .. fear is a good thing, it will keep you from doing something stupid. What poppycock !! In 51 years I have yet to experience one single human emotion which kept me from doing something stupid. But what I gathered from that along with advice in this forum (and this is just me personally ) is that a certain amount of fear is ok, it will at least keep you alert and mindful of your camp, while too much fear will ruin every ounce of enjoyment from your trip. I am scared too but I believe I will find a healthy balance and I trust you will too. I look forward to hearing from you after your hike.

#117069 - 06/09/09 07:26 PM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and popu [Re: Marc]
Jaigooroo Offline

thanks for the input.

im leaving for a month by myself. i'll be going to the weminuche wilderness pagosa entry and the durango entry, then over to zion and bryce, i may stop in sedoa, but quiet frankly i find it boring.

ill post pictures aswell.

I'm honestly more concern with them smelling the food on my clothing or backpack, and getting curious.

though if i were to be killed i would want it to be by a bear.

im bringing a machete (im 17, bear with me, sorry for the coincidental pun), bear bells, bear sacks... the whole deal (aside from pepper spray)

#117071 - 06/09/09 08:18 PM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and [Re: Jaigooroo]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Your biggest concern in the next few weeks will probably be snow, not bears. I've been following a CDT hiker's journal and it looks as though those who've tried the San Juans, even experienced folk with snow mountaineering gear, have bailed out and are now road-walking around. It's still snowing up there.

The main precaution with bears is to secure your food. Where bears are hunted (outside national parks), they are quite shy of humans, unless they learn to associate humans with the food they carry. Here is an article on hanging your food.

A little common sense, such as remembering that mama bear is going to be protective of her cubs, and not cooking/eating in your tent, is your best defense.

As you've probably noticed, there has been some leg-pulling here....

#117073 - 06/09/09 08:32 PM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and [Re: OregonMouse]
Jaigooroo Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Your biggest concern in the next few weeks will probably be snow, not bears. I've been following a CDT hiker's journal and it looks as though those who've tried the San Juans, even experienced folk with snow mountaineering gear, have bailed out and are now road-walking around. It's still snowing up there.

The main precaution with bears is to secure your food. Where bears are hunted (outside national parks), they are quite shy of humans, unless they learn to associate humans with the food they carry. Here is an article on hanging your food.

A little common sense, such as remembering that mama bear is going to be protective of her cubs, and not cooking/eating in your tent, is your best defense.

As you've probably noticed, there has been some leg-pulling here....

SNOWING?!! IN JUNE?!! whoa.

In that case i'll just plan on going out for a day hike and if i think i could bear with sleeping i'll do it. but dang, snowing? i'll have to make some extra preperations. as far as food, i know bears can get curious and sniff around, and eat...alot, but im honestly more concerned about racoons and other pests of that nature (regarding my food that is.)

would bears even be out at this time or would they still be in hibernation?

ima kidder to, i like the sense of humor

#117074 - 06/09/09 08:38 PM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and [Re: Jaigooroo]
Jaigooroo Offline

even below the tree line, i know there is a tundra looking climate in higher elevation, it pretty much always snowy up there.

i want to stay near the tree line or just above it.

#117076 - 06/09/09 11:11 PM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and [Re: Jaigooroo]
mmendell Offline

Loc: Western Iowa
Please, for the love of Pete, leave the machete at home.

If, by the remotest of chances, you have the opportunity to use it, it'll be WAY TOO LATE.

Just chill. You're not going to be eaten. Read the forum. Bear bag your food. You'll be fine. From the sound of things, bears ought to be your least concern.

Now...Mountain Lions...that's a whole different story....

#117079 - 06/10/09 12:05 AM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and [Re: mmendell]
Jaigooroo Offline

Originally Posted By mmendell
Please, for the love of Pete, leave the machete at home.

If, by the remotest of chances, you have the opportunity to use it, it'll be WAY TOO LATE.

Just chill. You're not going to be eaten. Read the forum. Bear bag your food. You'll be fine. From the sound of things, bears ought to be your least concern.

Now...Mountain Lions...that's a whole different story....

i don't honestly plan on using it.
im 17, i know it wouldn't do anything to a bear, its for a bit of self relief, but mostly just cause it looks cool.

i really doubt a mountain lion will mess with me. im 6'4 and 180, super athletic. im not saying it couldn't take me out im sure it could but i just look way too big for em. plus my pack. im not worrying.

i just fantasize (s/p?) about a bear tearing into my tent and having me for a snack.

knowing my luck i'll be the .1% person who gets attacked.

#117082 - 06/10/09 01:16 AM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and [Re: Jaigooroo]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Actually, there is far, far more danger of injuring yourself with the machete than there is of encountering a bear! And if you should take a swing at a charging bear with a machete, you'll just wound him and make him madder! If you're really paranoid about this (you shouldn't be; you're not in Yosemite or Yellowstone), take a can of bear spray instead. It's far more effective.

If you must take the machete, take a first aid course before you leave and bring plenty of compresses....

You live in New Mexico and you don't know that in the high mountains it's still snowing in June and that the winter snow normally hasn't yet melted? Actually, you can expect snow at high altitudes at any time of year. Methinks you might want to do more research before you venture out alone!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/10/09 01:22 AM)
Edit Reason: add more info for OP

#117083 - 06/10/09 01:42 AM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and [Re: OregonMouse]
Jaigooroo Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Actually, there is far, far more danger of injuring yourself with the machete than there is of encountering a bear! And if you should take a swing at a charging bear with a machete, you'll just wound him and make him madder! If you're really paranoid about this (you shouldn't be; you're not in Yosemite or Yellowstone), take a can of bear spray instead. It's far more effective.

If you must take the machete, take a first aid course before you leave and bring plenty of compresses....

You live in New Mexico and you don't know that in the high mountains it's still snowing in June and that the winter snow normally hasn't yet melted? Actually, you can expect snow at high altitudes at any time of year. Methinks you might want to do more research before you venture out alone!

i live on the edge. lol.

1. machete comes in case
2. if it stays in that case i won't get hurt
3. only time it comes out of case is in an emergency.

sually when i go into pagosa around this time everything has melted away.

williams creek is pretty much leveled with pagosa, im not gonna be climbing a 13teener where everything is as slick as soap.

if i think the weather conditions are gonna be to harsh i won't go. i have at least some common sense to realize that.

Im not going extremly high. this is just my opinion, (im not saying your wrong cause your probably right.) i just really doubt theres gonna be a bunch of snowfall below the tree line, im pretty much just gonna be around the tree line anyways.

i guess ill find out what the conditions are like.

but yeah machete stays in its case, im also bringing it for protection from humans/ creeps. a month on the road on my one, it always reassuring to having a really big sharp metal object to defend yourself with. it also has a saw which i could use for breaking down wood. one blade many uses. grin

#117086 - 06/10/09 08:37 AM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and [Re: Jaigooroo]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
i don't honestly plan on using it.
im 17, i know it wouldn't do anything to a bear, its for a bit of self relief, but mostly just cause it looks cool.

Broad swords and armour look cool too! Why stop at a machete? Really, you are worrying way to much about animals 'getting' you. Learn to use trekking poles if you want a multi-use tool/weapon. You will be lucky if you get a fleeting glimpse of the critters you are worried about and many of us go out of out way to encounter them just to get a picture. Your sword will become dead weight and a danger to you. Don't bother with it. You are more likely to get attacked by a tick, skeeter, or deer fly than a bear, cat or human, where you are going.

#117089 - 06/10/09 09:54 AM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and popu [Re: Marc]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By Marc
One last thought and I will shutup. When I confided with my brother about my fear of bears he told me .. fear is a good thing, it will keep you from doing something stupid. What poppycock !! In 51 years I have yet to experience one single human emotion which kept me from doing something stupid. But what I gathered from that along with advice in this forum (and this is just me personally ) is that a certain amount of fear is ok, it will at least keep you alert and mindful of your camp, while too much fear will ruin every ounce of enjoyment from your trip. I am scared too but I believe I will find a healthy balance and I trust you will too. I look forward to hearing from you after your hike.

Marc,
I agree with your brother, but then, I am young and stupid most of the time. Hopefully I am smarter when I am 50, but I doubt it. Anyways, I am scared of bears, and bring a can of bear spray with me. I also bring it for the crazy people. But then, I have seen more bears on the trails then crazy people. Mountain Lions also scare me, so I also bring my 7 year old son for protection. Between the two of us, we look either too old or small for a meal. Mountain lions are looking for 180lb, 6'4", 17 year olds to eat anyways. wink grin

#117091 - 06/10/09 11:42 AM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and popu [Re: Jaigooroo]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
This area is one of my favorite spots. The level of "traffic" depends on the time you're out. Clearly the weekends are more crowded, but by no means let that stop you. I had heard that it would be crowded too, but I didn't think it was so bad.

As far as bears and the others here giving you a hard time about it... be careful. That's all you can do. If you decide not to camp overnight because you are afraid, it is your choice, but I'll tell you firsthand that waking up to the sunrise in the Weminuche is breath-taking. I'm sure there are bears out there, but I did not see any bears or scat on my trip. Have a good trip.

#117140 - 06/11/09 05:13 PM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and popu [Re: Jaigooroo]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
If you even see a bear, count yourself lucky. Bears do not see people as food this season. Get out in late November and they're looking for winter fat and that can be more problematic, but under normal circumstances
1) the bear will hide from you
2) the bear is more scared of you
3) hitting a bear with an edged weapon when you could hit him with a rock is utterly stupid.
4) count your self extremely lucky if you even see a bear, remain calm and take his picture before you spook him.
5) I have encountered exactly one truly wild black bear in a life time of camping in bear country and I spooked him and he was gone.

You hafta treat the wilderness like your own home. There's no mammals thats that's gonna harm you. The only threat is on a Micro scale - ants, scorpions, snakes, etc.

Jim crazy

#117653 - 06/25/09 11:38 PM Re: Weminuche wilderness wildlife encounters, and popu [Re: Jaigooroo]
Ecrow Offline

Loc: N. New Mexico
I hike a lot in southern Colorado. It snows or rains commonly even in August. Williams Lake is popular with day hikers. The trail between it and Vallecito is popular but still not spoiled by too much traffic. There are a lot of remote trails that you will not see anyone in a week. I can see lines of snow at 9 and 10,000 ft. from my house now June 25. Yes there are some bears.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum