Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116322 - 05/20/09 06:46 PM Do you ever forage in the woods...
keepitlow Offline

Loc: NE US
Do you ever forage in the woods to supplement your food supply?

If so, what do you find?

#116334 - 05/20/09 08:47 PM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: keepitlow]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I only rarely forage and never as a real component of my "food supply". It is much too casual for that description.

When there are ripe berries (e.g. huckleberries, thimble berries, wild strawberries, salmon berries), then I will stop and eat some. I sometimes find patches of wild onion in meadowy areas. I will pick oxalis and chew on the stems.

That about covers it. I don't know enough about wild mushrooms to feel confident of eating them, but I am sure there are several edible varieties where I hike. They'd be a happy addition to most meals, if I only knew what to pick.

#116338 - 05/20/09 10:28 PM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: keepitlow]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Morell mushrooms, (make sure you know what they are and how to spell it),. Nuts are sometimes plentiful in season. I have found muskidyme and will give em a taste. They taste like a concord grape but with a lot of seeds and thick skin. When I was a kid living in Idaho, there was a cherry tree.Yum Pine needle tea. Depending where you are at the time, fruit trees. Figs and crab apples. I think the main thing is to know what you are eating. It could be very tasty, very bitter or sour. Or at worst, sickness and death. sick crazy

#116346 - 05/21/09 02:07 AM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: chaz]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I sometimes find these. they're pretty tasty :

Browse my pictures

#116350 - 05/21/09 08:26 AM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: keepitlow]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Phat, That is foraging at the extreme for sure. I used to hunt but since I don't do red meat anymore, (only chicken and fish),
I'll leave the wacking and stacking to guy's like you.

#116354 - 05/21/09 08:53 AM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: phat]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Where's the barbie? get er goin.

#116357 - 05/21/09 10:30 AM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: keepitlow]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
I consider it a side bennie if I get something tasty, but no, I don't rely on it. It takes too many calories to find food!

Though I love nothing more than berry season in alpine.

We did Wild Berries page on our website on berries. There are a couple more pages on this subject on the site as well, follow the pages on the bottom of each article smile

On fungi, unless you know 100% what you are doing don't eat anything!!!! Most mushrooms have deadly look alikes. It isn't worth the risk!

#116360 - 05/21/09 02:12 PM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: phat]
aimless Online   content

phat, you mean you put that in your mouth? But... you don't know where it's been!

#116363 - 05/21/09 04:07 PM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
An occasional berry--thimbleberry or wild strawberry--usually only a few are available. When huckleberries are in season, though, it's time to pig out!

I have been known to fish on occasion. I've also found that if you rely on the fish you catch for food, you'll never catch any!

#116388 - 05/22/09 09:47 AM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: keepitlow]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
I would never rely on foraging as part of my food source - too lazy and too ignorant of what is edible. Although that moose looked pretty tasty!

I love wild blueberries in the Shenandoah, especially when they are all warm from the sun. Heaven.

In case I haven't mentioned this before, all blueberries are mine. MINE, MINE, MINE! If I'm not around you may have some, but if I'm there - get outta my way!

Does that sound selfish? Hmmm . . . grin

#116390 - 05/22/09 09:48 AM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: phat]
Folkalist Offline

phat, if I pick some blueberries for you, will you grill me a steak?

#116400 - 05/22/09 02:19 PM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: keepitlow]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I stick with berries (blue, black, rasp), nuts and sassafras tea. Please keep in mind that over 7,000 cases of mushroom poisoning occur in the U.S. every year, though immediate fatalities are few (longterm liver damage is another issue). I read recently, but cannot find the report, that experienced mushroom hunters tend to have a slightly higher rate of poisoning than amateurs. Go figure.

#116401 - 05/22/09 02:42 PM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: keepitlow]
Perkolady Offline

Loc: GA
Berries are a fav of mine. Occasionally a ramp or two. Pine needle tea really hits the spot when it's cold and damp. Late winter/early spring fiddleheads are yummy!

Two more favs are cattail shoots and Jerusalem artichoke tubers. mmmmmm! Either are really great sauteed in some butter. The 'chokes taste just as good raw though. They're like a cross between a carrot and a potato. Delicious!

#116405 - 05/22/09 05:50 PM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: Folkalist]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Originally Posted By Folkalist
I would never rely on foraging as part of my food source - too lazy and too ignorant of what is edible. Although that moose looked pretty tasty!

I love wild blueberries in the Shenandoah, especially when they are all warm from the sun. Heaven.

In case I haven't mentioned this before, all blueberries are mine. MINE, MINE, MINE! If I'm not around you may have some, but if I'm there - get outta my way!

Does that sound selfish? Hmmm . . . grin

Gee, I found my twin. grin I have issues over H-Berry time. MINE! Mine! Mine!

When the berries are ripe I go walking on the PCT. Get out a good 4 to 5 miles and no one is out there, berries overflowing. I pick, hike back and put them in a cooler for the drive home. Then I freeze them as soon as I walk in.

A couple years ago I took 2 trips worth and made a H-Berry pie for my friend Rainy's boyfriend (now husband) when he came home from Iraq. He had been gone for 13 months. So it was pretty cool to be able to give him something for Thanksgiving that he had missed smile

Usually though I make jam in the fall and blend berries together from many areas. It is jam I love more than anything.

#116413 - 05/22/09 10:07 PM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: sarbar]
Folkalist Offline

Ooooh, jam! Best jam I ever had was in Ireland last year. What was that berry? Elderberry? Black currant? Hmm. Must find out.

#116416 - 05/22/09 10:47 PM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: chaz]
cat Offline

Loc: Alaska
I throw fresh dandelion greens or lambs quarters into my soups for some added nutrition. Occasionally, we have fried up fiddlehead ferns which are quite a delicacy.

And of course up here in Alaska it is berry-heaven.

Edited by cat (05/22/09 10:48 PM)

#116432 - 05/24/09 02:51 AM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: Perkolady]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Berries mostly. I have a very good eye, spot them from far away laugh!
The occasional young dandelion leaves and ferns, some nuts, herbs, and the mushrooms I'm sure of go into the pot as well. Chesnuts can be plentyful in season too, great on the fire.
I also happen to forage in fields and orchards after crops are made: got some nice cauliflower and young potatoes in early april, artichokes a bit later, cherries or grapes, the forgotten corn cob...
Have to run fast, farmers got guns or pointed forks at the ready grin grin!
"Food on legs" is scarce 'round here, apart from wild boars and small mammals, and I nearly never went fishing in my whole life...

#116629 - 05/27/09 07:46 PM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: keepitlow]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I grew up on an indian reservation, and a lot of people did quite a bit of foraging. It's sort of a fun tradition that never died out; it was an easy way of getting fresh fruit & veggies in a place where grocieries were (and still are) overpriced & past ripe.

BUT we didn't exactly do it to "supplement" our food supply, at least not in regards to hiking. If we were foraging, the part about walking around the woods was sort of beside the point. You're kind of on a mission, not really there to cover miles. My pack was full of tupperware and coffee cans, but there might have been a canteen and insect repellant in there too.

Let's see, I think I've foraged about 10 or 11 kinds of berries, fireweed, wild celery (found out I was allergic!), sea asparagus, goosetongue, seaweed, dandelion, Hudson Bay tea, pine branch spring tips, herring eggs on kelp leaves, cockles, chitons, china hats, dungeoness crab, rock crab... maybe a few other things too, but it's been years....

#117482 - 06/22/09 03:51 AM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: keepitlow]
Pat-trick Offline

I'm planning to do just that! Check out my post on "how many days of food in a bear can". I talk about my diet, which is vegetarian, no added fat (oil). I'll be packing whole grain and legume staples, and will depend on foraging to add fresh vegetables and fruits. I'll be packing raisins as the only fruit, 'cause I love 'em in oatmeal, or as a snack with nuts. I'll be doing some sprouting as well, for the fresh enzyme/vitamin punch they give, as well as everything else they have. I'll have to find a good book to cover the area where I will be the first couple months, which is the northeast. New York, maybe Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, and then I may go south and west. Maybe the AT! woohoo. I'm starting to have fun.

#117649 - 06/25/09 08:34 PM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: Folkalist]
BorealHiker Offline

Loc: The Third Maine
You need to experience the blueberry experience here in eastern Maine. You'd be in heaven, from mid July into August. Both high and low bush types.

#117688 - 06/26/09 09:08 PM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: BorealHiker]
Folkalist Offline

Is that the same time period when you have black flies the size of helicopters?

#117698 - 06/27/09 08:31 AM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: BorealHiker]
EricaStolte Offline

Loc: SouthernVT
Yes, I went gathering dandilion greens when I was out hiking.

#117717 - 06/27/09 09:02 PM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: Folkalist]
BorealHiker Offline

Loc: The Third Maine
Black flies are pretty much a May-early June thing. Then come mosquitoes, which we're in now big time, thanks to the wetter than normal June.

Blueberry time coincides with late mosquitoes, deer flies, moose flies. Or, if it's a dry summer, it begins the period of least insects, as we approach fall. Oh, and we have moose here, too, including a moose hunt, in fall.

#117718 - 06/27/09 09:47 PM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: Folkalist]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
folkalist
I have 6 blueberry bushes with large green berries all over them, in my backyard where there are very few bugs and lots of birds. The Oregon Grape is very prolifick around here and it too has blueberries which are not so good, so I think the birds avoid my real blueberries thinking that they are Oregon grape.

You are invited to come Back Pack in the Three Sisters Wilderness (20 miles from here) and to pick blueberries in my yard. However up in the mountains there huge areas of pygmy alpine blueberries, but ya want to wear rubber boots to get to em.
Hey I had one cranberry last year - kinda sour, but then thats the way cranberries are.

I think the only foragable plant in the Cascades, which is high dry volcanic ash desert, are sort of emaciated miners lettuce, not like the 3 inch diameter thick leaves of California miners lettuce. They say Sasquatch likes fish and hangs around lakes, otherwise I don't what he would eat except deer.
Jim crazy

#117739 - 06/28/09 03:06 PM Re: Do you ever forage in the woods... [Re: Jimshaw]
Folkalist Offline

Oh, if only could make it out there right now, Jim! Wish I could make the PNW trip, too, but the federal government refuses to reschedule things that only took a few years to put in place to accommodate me. Drat!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum