Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115966 - 05/13/09 03:23 PM Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions?
Fishnaked Offline

Loc: West
Does anyone have a weight on the Rain Pants and Hooded Jacket? I'd be "large" size.

I travel via kayak so would use these only at camp in light rain (in heavy rain, I'd be under a tree or in my tent). We don't do much around camp other than sit around or perform light duties so I'm not overly concerned with duribility. I'd also be interested in using this suit as a vapor barrier liner in my sleeping bag.

At $15, these things seem like they'd fit my needs perfectly.

Thoughts and or general impressions?

#115979 - 05/13/09 05:16 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Fishnaked]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
They won't work as a vapor barrier because they don't trap vapor.

#115980 - 05/13/09 06:28 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Fishnaked]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
The DriDucks I have weigh 9.8 oz in large. They are breathable and comfortable but fragile. The large is larger than a lot of other large size stuff I have gotten but I don't worry about them fitting over other clothes if necessary.

#115989 - 05/13/09 08:26 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Fishnaked]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think they might be the ticket for your purposes. I found they kept me dry, but was always paranoid that they'd tear on something. They don't hold sweat, though, so I'd count them out as a vapor barrier; they breathe very well.

My set ran very large. A size large made me feel like a kid trying on his dad's suit, and I'm 5'9", 155 lb.

#115993 - 05/13/09 09:34 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Wolfeye]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Frogg Toggs are heavier and more expensive than DriDucks, but are more durable. Both are far more breathable than any other rain gear I have rbrt tried. They are definitely not a vapor barrier; goretex and its imitators are definitely less breathable than either Frogg Toggs or DriDucks. (No experience with eVent here.) If you want ta vapor barrier, you'll have to get (or make) non-breathable rain gear out of silnylon.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/13/09 09:35 PM)

#115995 - 05/13/09 09:50 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Fishnaked]
Fishnaked Offline

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I overlooked their breathability. I'll find something else for a vapor barrier liner (VBL) which, brings me to this question. Is there a non-breathable rain suit out there that is as light and inexpensive as DriDucks?

Also, Pika. I assume the 9.8 oz is the combined weight (jacket & pants), correct?

Oregonmouse. I was under the impression that Frogg Toggs was the company name and DriDucks was one of their products. http://www.froggtoggs.com/store/index.asp Am I missing something?

Edited by rusty (05/13/09 10:15 PM)

#116013 - 05/14/09 01:33 AM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Fishnaked]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I believe they're both made by the same company, but they are different! As I mentioned, DriDucks are lighter, cheaper and more fragile. I once had a set of each, but the DriDucks pants split from stem to stern, as it were, the second time I sat down in them. That was caused by my ample (!) hips. I still have the jacket; I keep it in the car for emergencies.

Brawny Gear used to make silnylon rain jackets (4.4 oz.) and rain pants (3.2 oz.), sold first by AntiGravity Gear and later by Backpacking Light, but they have gone out of business. AntiGravity Gear has a good-looking silnylon rain jacket, maybe half an ounce heavier but an improvement over the Brawny Gear jacket in that it has a full zippered front, but no rain pants the last time I looked. Silnylon rain pants might be a good MYOG (make your own gear) project. I personally prefer non-breathable rain gear, because I get just as wet inside (from perspiration) breathable gear as I do the non-breathable. In warm rain I leave off the rain gear, hike in shirtsleeves and either just get wet or, at most, wear a wind shirt. If it's cold and windy, I don't sweat any more inside non-breathable rain gear than breathable. I do like having the vapor barrier for frosty nights (very common in the high Rockies). This is contrary to most people's experience, but it's why I bought the silnylon rain gear. I do like the very breathable Frogg Toggs, but IMHO they're too fragile for clambering over deadfall and other such common activities. I still have the ones I bought in early 1996 and wore for two summer hiking seasons, but they have half a dozen duct tape patches in the seat and legs and one in the shoulder thanks to a spark from a campfire.

#116022 - 05/14/09 04:31 AM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: OregonMouse]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
DryDucks are fine and confortable, but I find them very "rubbery" and fragile so I have made cagoule-type rain gear out of silnylon remnants that weight less than 6 oz, come down under my knees, is wide enough to accommodate a small pack and be reasonably ventilated. I can tuck my legs underneath and be totally protected, when seated...Love that, resting and waiting till the rain stops smirk !
It's something between a poncho and a normal jacket, packs very small, but I have to be careful in forest or bushes. Anyway the "slickness" of silnylon avoids a lot of snagging...Design comes from a "larger than large" Kinsman pullover pattern, with a hood.
Quite easy, if you have silnylon leftovers and a sewing machine...

#116035 - 05/14/09 11:34 AM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Fishnaked]
Fishnaked Offline

Oregonmouse,

I wonder if something has changed? There's the Froggtoggs.com website and within that, they have a bunch of different models with Dri Ducks being one. I see no specific suit named Frogg Toggs. Not disputing you but rather trying to figure out what I could possibly be looking at, comparing and purchasing.

Thanks for the heads-up on that AntiGravity Gear jacket. It's nice. If only it were 1/4 the price....

Frenchie,

Your get-up is intriguing. I have both a sewing machine and left over sil-nylon scraps too but, I'm missing the time to do it:(

Thanks.

#116036 - 05/14/09 11:43 AM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Fishnaked]
finallyME Offline

Originally Posted By rusty
Is there a non-breathable rain suit out there that is as light and inexpensive as DriDucks?

Yes, try Walmart and buy a PVC suit. Silnylon is more durable though.

Dri-ducks is made by Frogg-Toggs. Basically, if it doesn't say Dri-Ducks and Frogg-Toggs made it, then it is a Frogg-Togg jacket. The difference is that the dri-ducks are lighter and more flimsy. But, the frogg-toggs are still pretty light. Both are made from Polypropylene.

#116047 - 05/14/09 03:40 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Fishnaked]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Quote:
Also, Pika. I assume the 9.8 oz is the combined weight (jacket & pants), correct?

That's right, pants plus jacket are 9.8 oz.

#116048 - 05/14/09 04:05 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Pika]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
General impressions: I have used DriDucks successfully on AT thruhikes where they served both as wind gear in zero-degree weather and as rain gear. Never had a failure.

I turned the jacket into a cagoule by taping a pleated skirt on it using DriDucks fabric scavanged from a poncho. With pleats the skirt does not interfere with leg movement. DriDucks ponchos are so cheap it doesn't hurt to tear them up for scrap. I have used this set of DriDucks subsequently while doing trail work. The jacket has acquired a small tear, repaired with duct tape. No problem.

DriDucks breathes so well that I put it on to keep the mosquitoes and black flies off - even in hot weather.

Edited by Spock (05/14/09 04:07 PM)

#116079 - 05/15/09 11:55 AM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Spock]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
Hey Spock. Have you tried the 02 rainwear?

I have driducks and 02. To me the 02 rainwear breathes even better.

-Barry

#116110 - 05/15/09 05:57 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: BarryP]
finallyME Offline

Originally Posted By BarryP
Hey Spock. Have you tried the 02 rainwear?

I have driducks and 02. To me the 02 rainwear breathes even better.

-Barry

O2 rainwear? Can you be more specific so I can find it on the web, or whoever makes it? Thanks.

#116114 - 05/15/09 07:29 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: BarryP]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I've heard of O2, but have not tried it. don't even know where to find it. So....

#116150 - 05/16/09 07:12 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Fishnaked]
Roocketman Offline

Originally Posted By rusty
Oregonmouse,

I wonder if something has changed? There's the Froggtoggs.com website and within that, they have a bunch of different models with Dri Ducks being one. I see no specific suit named Frogg Toggs. Not disputing you but rather trying to figure out what I could possibly be looking at, comparing and purchasing.

Frogg Toggs is the company. At one time, all their rain gear were just called Frog Toggs, but time marched on, and they expanded and bought up other businesses.

Older folks, or "experienced folks" may remember mostly "Frogg Toggs", especially if they bought some of the original stock, and many are still using it quite a few years later.

On their web site, there are (in the online store) Dri Ducks and Rain Toggs and a total of over a half dozen models of rain gear products.

Dri Ducks may be a firm that they purchased. Backpackinglight.com used to carry the Dri Ducks rain gear.

#116183 - 05/17/09 03:29 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Fishnaked]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Frogg Toggs are great rain suits but... they are not as durable as even my Cabela's GTX PacLite suit of Taslanized nylon.

Yes, the PacLite suit, at just under $100. is much more expensive than Frogg Toggs, even the Frogg Toggs motorcycle suits, but it packs VERY small and will last a long time. The Cabela's Rainy River PacLite parka (in size Large, Tall) weighs just under 1 lb. at 15.8 oz. Not too bad for the $89. price I paid two years ago for each piece.

Eric

#116210 - 05/18/09 02:24 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: finallyME]
BarryP Offline

Sorry, I misspelled it. It’s O2; not 02.

You can find them in bicycle shops and sometimes Kmart.
I’ve been using O2 rainwear for about 5 years. I have gone through a few sets. Adventure Allen http://www.adventurealan.com/2-4_index.htm used it as part of his 2.4 lb base weight pack. It weighs 4.7oz w/ the hood.

Some other sights:
http://www.rainshield.com/p_multi.html
http://www.coolraingear.com/

-Barry

#116215 - 05/18/09 05:49 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: BarryP]
finallyME Offline

Looks like a similar product. Adventure Allen said it was made from propore, which is the same stuff dri-ducks are made of. However, rainshield didn't specify what it is made of. If I see it, I might give it a try.

#116235 - 05/19/09 10:58 AM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: finallyME]
BarryP Offline

“…made from propore, which is the same stuff dri-ducks are made of.”

Yes, they’re both made from propore. But they have a different weave to them. I sweated more in dri-ducks. And the O2 is slightly lighter.
My avatar shows me wearing it.

I vary between Rainshield and a $1 poncho (usually taking both). The poncho does a nice job of keeping my pack dry. I sweat more in the poncho so I reserve it for hard rain in cool days.

-Barry

#116314 - 05/20/09 02:29 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Fishnaked]
Fishnaked Offline

Thanks for the info, everyone! For the price, it looks like the DriDucks are the ticket for my purposes. Before I buy though, I'm going to look a bit more for an equally light suit that could double as a vapor barrier liner in my sleeping bag. So far, the only thing I've seen are vinyl suits for weight loss in Walmart. However, they felt to weigh a pound or more. If anyone knows of a similarly cheap suit, that could be used a VBL and is as light as the DriDucks, please post.

Thanks!

#116315 - 05/20/09 03:21 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Fishnaked]
BarryP Offline

“If anyone knows of a similarly cheap suit, that could be used a VBL and is as light as the DriDucks, please post.”

I doubt propore stuff (like driducks) makes a good VBL.
If you truly want a VBL, you need something that won’t breath. Here’s some lightweight ideas that I know doesn’t breath:
1. Tyvek sportshell http://www.sportshell.com/ . I have the jacket and pants. They only show the rip-away pants but they also sell the regular pants.
2. Lawn & Leaf bag. I just saw one of our scouts use this in a hail storm in one of our bpack trips this past weekend. He looked funny and it came down to his shoes. But it appeared to keep him dry. It was a little cool so he didn’t sweat too much inside. I was just thinking you could use this as a VBL.
3. Adventure Medical Thermolite Bivy http://www.backcountry.com/store/AMK0061/Adventure-Medical-Thermo-Lite-20-Bivvy-Sack.html $24 6.5oz. I know this doesn’t breath if you seal up the vents (has Velcro). BTW, it makes a poor stand-alone sleeping bag because of claminess.
4. And the lightest and most expensive VBL ($90, 4.5oz) is the MW VBL http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ind...mp;ContentId=44

IMHO, VBL’s are an art. They’re good for temperatures <10F. It takes a lot of practice getting to know what your body does in different circumstances that warrants a VBL.

Good luck.

-Barry

#116317 - 05/20/09 04:00 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: BarryP]
finallyME Offline

Tyvek will breath, just not as good as propore.

#116897 - 06/05/09 10:01 AM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Fishnaked]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
After seeing this thread a while back I went and looked at the local Bass Pro Shop. The large jacket and pants is 10.0oz on my scale too (5.9oz jacket and 4.1oz pants). Yes it does seem fragile, but it also seems very repairable with duct tape. Besides, I picked them up for $10 total - actually free with my Bass Pro points. grin My main source of joy came from the fact that this new full zip jacket is saving me so much weight. (I've been in the "use what you've got" mode for rain gear for some time. Which, in my case, was a heavy North Face gortex jacket.) I'm so excited about this, I don't know what to do! Oh, yes I do... hike!

#117077 - 06/09/09 11:47 PM Re: Frogg Toggs DriDucks weight & impressions? [Re: Fishnaked]
Ecrow Offline

Loc: N. New Mexico
The most common frogg toggs suit is the "pro action" it is light and fuzzy. If you want to bushwack, you can still find a slick nylon coated motorcycle jacket for about 20$ at auction. They are only slightly heavier but a lot lighter than a north face guide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum