Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115494 - 05/04/09 08:35 PM Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo
tolerant1 Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA
I will be doing 6 days and 5 nights in Yosemite late August and was thinking of buying an additional stove (currently have a Primus Multi fuel heavy and old). There will be two of us and all we will be using the stove for is evening meals. Essentially boiling 32 oz water each night.

2 Questions:
1. Anyone have any bad experience with the Snow Peak Giga?
2. Anyone provide a rough approximation on how long the canisters last? My guess is I will need 2 maybe a 3rd just in case.

Thanks

#115496 - 05/04/09 09:26 PM Re: Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo [Re: tolerant1]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
We have had the Snowpeak Giga Power stove for years and years now. The peizo broke so we just light it with matches, didn't feel like replacing the piezo but you can.

We use the heat shield/windscreen with it and that extends the canister life. It will give us 15 boils of 2 to 3 cups per boil so one large canister will last us three days of dedicated stove use where wood fires are prohibited. It is a good solid stove.

We use the stove for all three meals, tea in the morning, noodle soup and then tea for lunch, freeze dried meal and hot chocolate for dinner as far as stove use goes. It is a workhorse.

#115498 - 05/04/09 09:35 PM Re: Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo [Re: tolerant1]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've had mine for about 5 years and it's seen use mostly during solo camping, though I've used it for a few duo hikes. I get about 12 single-serving meals out of it, maybe a couple more if I don't cook foods that need extra simmering. It's convenient and I like it.

The only bad experience I've had is that the piezo starter wouldn't work when the stove got soaked. My lighter also had a piezo starter that wouldn't work, and I had to borrow someone's matches.

#115499 - 05/04/09 09:42 PM Re: Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo [Re: Arizona]
tolerant1 Offline

So what I am understanding so far is save the $10 and get the one without the Piezo!?!

I heard you were not suppose to use the wind shield with a canister stove for fear of getting the canister too hot?

Is that the heat shield sitting on top? Is this an accessory specifically for this stove.

Looks like a pretty large pot is that a liter?

Great responses already becoming sold!

#115501 - 05/04/09 09:54 PM Re: Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo [Re: tolerant1]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
Originally Posted By tolerant1
So what I am understanding so far is save the $10 and get the one without the Piezo!?!

I heard you were not suppose to use the wind shield with a canister stove for fear of getting the canister too hot?

Is that the heat shield sitting on top? Is this an accessory specifically for this stove.

Looks like a pretty large pot is that a liter?

Great responses already becoming sold!

Yeah forget the piezo. That heat shield/windscreen is proprietary Snowpeak made specifically for that stove. It extends the life of the fuel canister. You will get more boils with it on the stove.

That is an MSR Titan Kettle. It is just under a liter, the perfect size for two people.

#115503 - 05/04/09 11:41 PM Re: Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo [Re: tolerant1]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By tolerant1
I will be doing 6 days and 5 nights in Yosemite late August and was thinking of buying an additional stove (currently have a Primus Multi fuel heavy and old). There will be two of us and all we will be using the stove for is evening meals. Essentially boiling 32 oz water each night.

2 Questions:
1. Anyone have any bad experience with the Snow Peak Giga?
2. Anyone provide a rough approximation on how long the canisters last? My guess is I will need 2 maybe a 3rd just in case.

Thanks

I've used/owned a Giga for several years. Great little stove.

If I'm reading your post correctly and my math is right you want to boil 4 cups of water/night for 5 nights. Nothing more. In my experience just one new canister should do the job under normal conditions. And I'm talking the small 110g one, not the large size. By normal conditions I mean the water was not just above freezing and the wind was not horribly strong, and you have a lid on your pot, and you turn the stove off as soon as the water boils. If it makes you feel better take two small canisters or one big one, but you certainly won't need 3.

When the canister nears the end of its life the flame output will be reduced and it will take longer to achieve a boil. This is to be expected. The total amount of fuel needed to boil per cup remains the same.

If you're not trying to purify the water or actually cook anything a full boil is not usually necessary. You can prepare ramen or even pasta with very little fuel and no boil.

Regarding the piezo, mine has been faithful to me for several years. It won't work if the canister is new and the fuel flow is too high. It lights best with just a slight hiss. I still carry a lighter as a backup but I would do that with any stove.

Here is a review by a guy who claimed 16 days of cooking on one large canister. But YMMV.

#115505 - 05/05/09 12:04 AM Re: Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo [Re: Trailrunner]
tolerant1 Offline

Great Information Trailrunner thanks.

Yes, you understand perfectly. I have the Snowpeak Titanium 900 which is about 30 oz. Filling this up and bringing it to a boil should make two of the 2-serving Mountain House Freeze dried meals (~16 oz each).

Two canisters it is.

Are there any disposing restrictions on these canisters? I guess I could read up on it but I enjoy the interaction.

#115507 - 05/05/09 12:43 AM Re: Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo [Re: tolerant1]
JWE Offline

Loc: Salem OR USA
I also just received this stove and would like to know if it is compatible with any other brand fuel canisters? It reccomends using only Snow Peak brand but I doubt I'll find them at each re-stock area along the AT.

#115508 - 05/05/09 01:15 AM Re: Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo [Re: Arizona]
BpackerDon Offline

Loc: Northern Calif
For another version of the windscreen, see:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00041.html

I have made something similar, seems to work pretty well, although it is slowly being degraded by the heat (over about 3 years)

Don

#115509 - 05/05/09 01:29 AM Re: Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo [Re: tolerant1]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
No bad experiences for me. I enjoy mine.
I've calculated a 16oz. boil to consume 0.3 - 0.4oz of fuel. (I weighed the canister before the test, boiled, then weighed the canister after the test.) Fuel consumption would increase with crazy wind, of course, but I've gotten very consistent results over the past couple of years with this stove.

I just weighed a brand new, large (8oz.) MSR canister at 12.6oz. An empty canister is 4.7oz... so 7.9oz of fuel on my +/- 0.1 oz scale. 7.9oz/0.4oz per 16oz boil = 19.75 boils / 2 people = 9.875 boils per person. This is perhaps misleading though. Once those canisters near the end of their life (probably the last 25% of their life), they consume slightly more than 0.3oz - 0.4oz per boil.

One of the downfalls of canister stoves is lugging around the extra fuel and metal canister... you just have to make a personal decision on how much fuel you are willing to carry. I always lean on the safe side because a good boy scout is always prepared. *laughs to himself for those type of weighty compromises* As always YMMV (or in this case: YBPCMV -your boils per canister may vary). smile

#115515 - 05/05/09 06:58 AM Re: Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo [Re: JWE]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Yes, other brands of screw-on canisters will work: MSR and JetBoil for sure, that I know of. Whether they will store inside a given pot depends on the canister; for example, the MSR canisters are wider than the Snow Peak, and will not fit into the smallest Snow Peak pots.

#115547 - 05/05/09 06:02 PM Re: Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo [Re: tolerant1]
Paul_C Offline

Loc: Beaverton, Orygun
I say definitely get the Piezo. For the ounce or two it adds, it's a great time saver. My piezo stopped working after a few trips, and I brought it to REI to see if they could fix it and they replaced it. This one is working great! I recently got the above windscreen for it, and it seems to really help. the windscreen fits right in my AntiGravity Gear pot with the stove and extra lighter.

#115552 - 05/05/09 07:56 PM Re: Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo [Re: tolerant1]
EWH Offline

Loc: California
I have had a Giga for probably around 10 years and it's still going strong! Definately get the Piezo. In response to some of the other questions:
1) Fuel Consumption, I once read that a Large Cannister (220 grams) will boil around 24 to 28 liters of water (3 season high sierra trips). I've used this as a guide and found it to be an accurate reference. One other note, in addition to using some kind of windscreen, is keeping the Fuel warm, it will increase performance. I usually keep the stove in my tent and on cold mornings I'll even throw the cannister in my sleeping bag to warm it up before using.
2) Differenct Types of Fuel, I've used MSR and Primus without any problems or noticable differences.

#115559 - 05/05/09 09:44 PM Re: Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo [Re: tolerant1]
tolerant1 Offline

Hi everyone,

Wanted to thank you all for the invaluable advice. I ended up going with the Titanium manual( no piezo frown ) version. Of course before reading the last two posts, but I wanted to get it before the weekend as we are heading out for some car camping and I thought it would be an excellent opportunity for some practice runs. Also picked up the windscreen and Titanium 900 ml pot.

#115607 - 05/06/09 08:51 PM Re: Snow Peak Giga Power Stove with Piezo [Re: tolerant1]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
You really can't go wrong, piezo or no piezo, as long as you get a good stove. I had a JetBoil that I liked well enough but it was piezo-challenged shall we say. When I finally decided to get a little canister stove, I seriously looked at the one you got but opted for the Brunton Talon. I didn't even consider the piezo on any of the stoves I looked at as a selling point, though, I had been manually lighting my JetBoil for long I just didn't care anymore! grin Congrats on your purchase and enjoy your trip!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum