Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110358 - 01/29/09 06:10 PM A Thru- Hikers Pack ?
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I have been giving some thought into doing some thru-hiking this year. And concidering im long over due for some new gear. I figured I Would put to gather a new pak. Starting with a hammock. Ive made a few homemade hammocks from various materials and have absolutely loved them. I personly am leaning towards A clark north american because of the 4 season Capability. I have spent 43 nights in a hammock before in cool weather in carolina beach under a leanto shealter and under stand the need for some sort of under insulation. Second i would like to get a quilt that i could use in pretty cool weather. Maybe 20f Especially if i decide to tri some longer hikes after i knock a few of thease shorter ones of my list.I have no Idea What make or brand for im still researching them so any suggestions are welcome. Third i would like to add a new stove to my collection im kinda leaning towards Trail Desighns Caldera Ti-Tri because i like the adaptability of being able to burn esbit, alc, or wood. I kind do that already with my folding steal esbit stove and a tealight and some aluminum foil. If i end up doing some long trails i might grab the snowpeak lightmax aswell and keep it in a bounce box For backup or just a change of pace. And last but not least i would like to purchase a new pack and if i decide to keep taking my closed cell foam pad I might get the jam2 depending on how all my gear fits and how it feals. Im more than open to any suggestions i,ll Proabably take a day and try on multible packs with Gear,food and watter.
Thanks in advance for any sugesstions Samoset
ohyeah i threw a few polls in there for a little fun
Hammocks
Multiple choices allowed

Votes accepted starting: 01/29/09 05:25 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Stoves
Multiple choices allowed

Votes accepted starting: 01/29/09 05:36 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Edited by Samoset (01/29/09 06:15 PM)

#110376 - 01/29/09 11:03 PM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: Samoset]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
You may want to take this thread over to hammockforums.net if you haven't already done so. You're more likely to get feed back on hammocks over there. We also talk about all kinds of quilts and other hanging gear.
Personally I have 3 hammocks and use different ones for different occasions. If I had to pick one set up for a thru-hike, it would be my claytor jungle hammock, blackcat tarp, and probably a jacks-r-better underquilt and a no-sniveler top quilt. I might swap those out for a synthetic set of quilts depending on the anticipated precipitation. Some years are more dry than others. YMMV.

#110381 - 01/30/09 12:04 AM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: Samoset]
lori Offline

Clark isn't the only hammock with 4 season capability. the others just don't like to brag. grin

I would take the Warbonnet Blackbird double layer hammock, my two Jacks R Better 3 season quilts rated to 20F, and my Minibull Designs kitchen kit consisting of a Fosters 2 cup pot with silicon lip protector and kevlar wrap, Magic Mouse simmer/cook stove, pot stand, and ziploc container cover (plus a lighter/matches and some denatured alky). I would throw in my ridgerest, which would work for going to ground *or* as extra insulation between the layers of the hammock. My 10x11 cat cut tarp would go along for extra coverage in case I want privacy or more protection in a storm. I will always take a filter - my ULA gravity filter weighs 7.5 oz - and some Micropur tablets. All will go into my Gossamer gear Mariposa (for lighter trips) or my Granite Gear pack, which will hold extra clothes, a bear can, or extra water or gear as needed. I estimate summer pack weight to be around 21-25 lbs, rising to 28-30 if extra cold weather gear or extra food/water is needed.

All that said, I am not a thru hiker, but my habits would not change if I were other than the caches, bounce box, or maybe an extra pair of socks or two.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#110388 - 01/30/09 03:13 AM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: Samoset]
emf Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I've hiked with a Hennessy Exp Asym and Esbit stove for several years. Would I use an Esbit stove for a thru-hike? Yes, though I would consider alcohol given the cost of Esbit blocks. Would I use the Hennessy Exp Asym for a thru-hike? That depends. I LOVE it in warmer temps but the weight, bulk, and temp limitations of the "4 season" SuperShelter outweighs the benefits of a hammock. I think a Hennessy is perfect for temps above 40F or 50F. If it's colder than that on a regular basis then I'd suggest a different shelter system.

Over New Year's I took my Hennessy Asym with the "4 Season" SuperShelter into the mountains just west of Brevard, NC. The overnight temperaturs were between 5F and 15F. There were severe gusts (supposedly 45mph) but average winds were around 15mph. It was cold and windy. In my opinion, it was well beyond what a Hennessy Hammock, with the Supershelter, could handle. I used a 20F Cats Meow sleeping bag with a 100% silk Sea to Summit liner and I wore thick fleece with Capilene underwear to bed. Inside of the Supershelter system I used the Underpad wrapped inside of a Adventure Medical Therm-Lite 2.0 Bivy. I also used the torso and kidney pads and added my rain gear and wind gear to the Undercover. I woke up several times during the night due to the cold and at 4:30am I got out of the tent to do jumping jacks to get blood flowing through my incredibly numb feet.

The Supershelter, or parts of it, are necessary for colder temperatures. However, once you start using the underpads and an additional survival blanket then you start adding substantial weight and bulk to your pack. I love my Hennessy but in colder temps I believe you could get better warmth and less weight and less bulk by using a tent or tarp/bivy system.

#110394 - 01/30/09 09:00 AM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: emf]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By emf

The Supershelter, or parts of it, are necessary for colder temperatures. However, once you start using the underpads and an additional survival blanket then you start adding substantial weight and bulk to your pack. I love my Hennessy but in colder temps I believe you could get better warmth and less weight and less bulk by using a tent or tarp/bivy system.

This is the point where I refer you to hammock forums. Not everyone uses the Supershelter and there are other options - won't say all of them are inexpensive, but there are plenty of ways to stay warm. The Garlington Insulator for example (google it) is nothing more than a poncho or tarp, trash bags, leaves or space blankets or newspaper, and air, but it's useful down to below freezing.

In winter you will add bulk, regardless of what you do. If the reasons that drive you to hammock are compelling enough, there are ways to stay in a hammock in winter. I don't go out in snow, personally, but if I did, it wouldn't drive me into a tent. I'm done with tents and mummy bags. YMMV.

#110403 - 01/30/09 01:45 PM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: Samoset]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
You might get more useful feedback if you expand a bit on what you mean by "doing some thru-hiking". By "some", do you mean you plan some section hiking, or maybe you plan to start a long trail and see how it comes out, maybe do it all, maybe not, or ... ? And somewhat more importantly to gear selection, which long trail are you considering? I think that hammocks are a lot more common on the AT and the long trail in Florida than on the PCT or CDT.

I thru-hiked the PCT this past year and considered swapping to my hammock for the more northern stretch, but a combination of experience (shake-down trips) and analysis made me conclude that I was better off with a solo tarptent.

A hammock is certainly do-able in a lot of stretches, and I did see one guy start out (at least) with a hammock, FWIW. Bottom line is that I agree that it's hard to be weight neutral and stay reliably warm enough, plus there can be places where despite a lot of trees it's hard to find a decent place to hang. I recall one long shakedown hike along the PCT in WA state when I found more frequent tent sites than I did hang sites, despite lots of trees ... either too much brush everywhere between trees, or new forest with trees growing close together and lots of thick understory branches down to the ground.

I think the key thing to decide on hammock vs. sleeping on the ground is *why* you're inclined to a hammock. If you just can't sleep any other way, then of course do what you have to to make it work.

Stove: search various forums on stuff like this and you'll doubtless find existing long threads; alcohol stoves are more popular for thru-hikers, at least on the PCT, due to availability of fuel, plus perhaps not having to mess with partially full cannisters.

Pack: I too used a GG Mariposa Plus, and it worked great; stretching (stressing it) a bit to use with bear can in the Sierras, but it worked. ULA makes some great and popular packs too.

#110426 - 01/30/09 10:42 PM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: BrianLe]
lori Offline

I hike mostly in the Sierras. When I know parts of the trail will be sparsely forested (or have no trees at all) taking a Ridgerest as backup insulation is the plan. The hammock ends can be tied to tops of trekking poles to keep the ridgeline high enough to use the hammock as a bug bivy if needed; if not, throw down trash bags for a groundsheet, roll out the ridgerest, set up the tarp with the poles and stakes, and there you are. Lots of people just use the tarp anyway, and you'll have one with you regardless. Of course you want to practice at home first. But Hennessy and similar can be used this way. Some of the heavier, impractical camping hammocks are advertised as dual purpose - hammock or ground tent, like the clunky Lawson.

Then there's the possibility of hanging from rock cracks. At hammock forums there are people talking about climbing gear (cams) but someone mentioned using a rock jammed in the crack as a tie point.

Flexibility is a good thing. I think I'd be able to tolerate a few nights on the ground if I had the hammock the rest of the trip. smile Call me a fanatic, but not having an ache in my hip is worth the craziness.

#110442 - 01/31/09 04:33 AM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: lori]
BrianLe Offline

lori said: "...not having an ache in my hip is worth the craziness."

Exactly --- it's pretty clear that a hammock wins for comfort for you. For me, it's a wash; if I'm in the hammock, I miss the tent somewhat, and vice versa. Apart from perhaps the steepest and longest learning curve of any piece of backpacking equipment, a hammock has some downsides for comfort too. Simply moving around, changing positions takes learning and different techniques, one can come to miss being able to just push off firm ground, and the relative roominess of a tent. And not having any dropped item migrate underneath you. Etc.

I'm not a hammock hater, but for me there's no huge comfort advantage either way.

In terms of using a hammock as a sort of ground tent ("The hammock ends can be tied to tops of trekking poles to keep the ridgeline high enough to use the hammock as a bug bivy if needed") --- the one time I tried that with my Hennessy hammock I found it a big PITA (recall that one enters a HH from underneath).

I really agree with whoever (Phat?) suggested building the Risk hammock to try it out on the cheap before committing to making or buying a field-worthy hammock. I tried quite a number of times to make it work, but ... I reckon now that I'll be a "dirt camper" for life! grin

#110450 - 01/31/09 10:30 AM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: BrianLe]
lori Offline

The bottom entry on the Hennessy is why I ordered a Warbonnet Blackbird. laugh The zippered top entry and bugnet make it easier to crawl into when using as a bug bivy. Am going for a week on the JMT with a group. The other features on the Warbonnet made it an easy choice.

I think one of the things about the hammock that makes it a success for someone is how you approach it - trying it one or two times and giving up vs. recognizing possibilities and altering the hang or the insulation. People who don't like or tolerate the fiddle factor give up immediately. I guess I'm a gearhead. Tweaking around with the hammock may be a learning curve, but it's easier for me to get warm and stay comfortable in it. Tents were always cold for me and I toss around in my sleep so much I'd always end up off the pad. I was looking into Big Agnes when I discovered hammocking. After sleeping in the rain and not even getting damp while my tent dwelling friends got their gear muddy I was sold.

I've seen questions from people clearly wanting something straightforward and economical - I don't know if they're hammockers, but the potential is there. I usually suggest the Byers, cheaper and you can get a bug net, or the travel hammock from Warbonnet, which you can get for 60-70 as a double layer, making the pad easier to use.

#110456 - 01/31/09 11:45 AM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: Samoset]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Really, none of them are a bad choice. I own both a hennesey and a homemade speer. my personal preference is the speer but the hennesy is also a fine piece of gear. So while I voted "speer" really it's "make your own". The bottom entry hennesey
is neat, but I prefer the top entry with detachable bugnet type thing of the speer. I do find the full velcro on the speer type bugnet to be somewhat annoying, and were I to only hammock in the speer I would not use velcro, I would use a draped over the ridgeline type bugnet that is weighted on the bottom that does not attach. HOWEVER. one of my big reasons to like the speer is I do use it above the treeline as a bug bivy on the ground, and then having the velcro attaching the bugnet to the sides of the hammock is *Very* worth it.

As for stoves, Keep it simple. if your esbit setup works *and* you expect to have esbit available on your through hike stick with it. Me, up here, I'd use alcohol, just because of availablity everywhere at a resupply, which is pretty much guaranteed at any gas station. as opposed to esbit and canisters which are much harder to find. I don't put the ablility to use wood even into consideration for a stove. I think it's silly. If I am allowed to have wood fire, I can find three rocks to set my pot on, and make a small fire without having to carry anything.

Edited by phat (01/31/09 11:51 AM)
Browse my pictures

#110458 - 01/31/09 12:06 PM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: lori]
BrianLe Offline

"I think one of the things about the hammock that makes it a success for someone is how you approach it - trying it one or two times and giving up vs. recognizing possibilities and altering the hang or the insulation. People who don't like or tolerate the fiddle factor give up immediately."

Definitely agree on that. After quite a number of nights in the hammock I was still tweaking things like "best way to tension it" and trying to get a poncho that would double as an adequate tarp (my Golite is marginally adequate so long as there's not much wind-blown rain ...).

The killer for me was just not being able to get weight neutral. I recently bought a bug bivy that I've not even had a chance to use yet. Combining that with a poncho/tarp will make it even harder for a hammock to compete on a weight basis (at least my existing hammock, but I suspect ...). To be reliably warm enough where I hike (I live in WA state), my equivalent Hennessy system is more than a pound heavier than even my tarptent setup.

I think the really best way for someone to decide if hammock camping is for them is to have a friend with a (tent replacement type of) hammock and borrow that a couple times, work through enough of the learning curve to decide if it's the right approach. But at least the inexpensive test hammock could help sort out some issues. Analytical types might want to carefully add up the ounces/grams of the *total* set of things they'll carry to stay warm enough in a hammock and compare that on an apples to apples basis with what currently works for them on the ground.

#110592 - 02/02/09 06:42 PM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

Ok for staters im definatley a hammock convert id sleep no other way of course unless there is no trees in which id rather bivey in a hammock and have a hammock when there are trees aposed to not having the hammock at all. That being said in no way shape or form consider myself an ultralite backpacker or a minimalist. I am just verry fortunate to live in a generation where our gear is alot lighter than our forefathers of the backcountry. So as far as gear goes il cut ounces were i can but not at the sacrafice of comfort or saftey. As far a where i'll be hiking this year mostly in GA,NC,SC, and maybe TN. Starting with a 5 day jaunt yo-yoing the pine mountain & mountain creek trails At F.D. Rososevelt statepark in GA i will copleate the main trail and hit all the alternate trails on the way back. This is where i would be testing this new pack setup. Id also like to through hike the bartam national heritage trail and the chattoga national wild and scenic trail here in Ga as well before i start my section hike of the AT's first 200 miles. im looking into alot more new gear for this pack aswell.but as of right now the library is closing so im out of time.
GOOD LUCK
SAMOSET

#110601 - 02/02/09 10:01 PM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: Samoset]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
I think my back would be killing me if I resorted to a hammock for a few nights. Maybe one or two and I would be alright, but after that first or second night I would be crippled smile

Though the light weight and pack size is great!

#110624 - 02/03/09 10:52 AM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: GDeadphans]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
I have a hammock stand on my patio. Siometimes my lower back makes me a restless sleeper. On those nights I often sleep in my hammock on the patio.

#110693 - 02/04/09 12:12 PM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: Samoset]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
If you are looking for a hammock, why not just go with the best?
Get a Warbonnet Hammocks Blackbird:

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.net/blackbird_h.htm

BF

#110797 - 02/06/09 10:01 AM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: GDeadphans]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By GDeadphans
I think my back would be killing me if I resorted to a hammock for a few nights. Maybe one or two and I would be alright, but after that first or second night I would be crippled smile

Though the light weight and pack size is great!

Then you are sleeping in the wrong hammock. This is one of the great myths about hammocks - everyone thinks about the hammock in the backyard and goes "it'll be like sleeping in a banana shape" or they imagine those rope hammocks. It's not like that at all. My back hurts on the ground, not in the hammock.

I'm not here to convert you, but if you're doing it right, your back is fine - better than fine. Legions of people with bad backs, hips or knees migrate to hammocks. It's not for everyone, but it's not what you think it is, either.

#110798 - 02/06/09 10:01 AM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: bigfoot2]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By bigfoot2

BF

I am anticipating the box on my doorstep any time now - can't wait to go try it out!

#110799 - 02/06/09 10:08 AM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: bigfoot2]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By bigfoot2

BF

I interested, looks good. I was thinking of making a bridge hammock but it would require more weight. Does this hammock provide a flat lay?

#110804 - 02/06/09 11:19 AM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: chaz]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
I have to agree with Lori -- my hammock is the most comfortable sleeping system I have ever used, for weeks at a time. Sleeping on the ground is much more painful, unless I have a huge heavy sleeping pad.

#110832 - 02/07/09 12:10 AM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: chaz]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
[/quote]
I interested, looks good. I was thinking of making a bridge hammock but it would require more weight. Does this hammock provide a flat lay? [/quote]

As flat as a pancake, Chaz, old buddy :)Check out Shug's video here:
http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.net/

BF

#110833 - 02/07/09 01:08 AM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack ? [Re: chaz]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By chaz

I interested, looks good. I was thinking of making a bridge hammock but it would require more weight. Does this hammock provide a flat lay?

I have a Hennessy that's pretty good, but Hennessy owners at the hammock forum who moved to the Blackbird say it's better. I think the dual layer version is supposed to be a flatter sleep than a single.

I don't think I've seen a single complaint about the Blackbird, come to think of it. I'm expecting mine to show up any day now - by 2/17 I'll be able to come back and tell you it's a smashing good hammock. grin

#111207 - 02/13/09 06:22 PM Re: A Thru- Hikers Pack /System ? REVIZED [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

With a Fresh Look into this idea of mine. "Assembling a safe,comfortable, and enjoyable system of gear and practices" In which to attempt a rather lardge section of the AT (Adventualuly Compleating). With a few tests of said system with much smaller thru hikes of some local trail systems. Is becoming a much more arduous task. Then i Would have ever imagined.
Its fair to say that i should not and would not attempt said task with the gear i currently own. So with the exception of a select few items. Im pretty much going to start fresh. Im finding the reserch part of this quest astonishing.Ican read , read , and read all day and not feal that i can decide on anything. so i've decided not to rush in to any thing. especially not something that should be the journey of a lifetime. Anyhow inlue of recent discuusion on this fourum and others ive ben giving some thought into the following packs Granitegear vapour trail, ula conduit , or golite jam2. I have read great and conflicting reveiws on all three so im pretty much still up in the air about it. I do plan on using the pack as a extension to my pad in cool weather. I plan on carrying a ridgerest large sized because its 5" wider "cut down in length"and ive come to like that in a hammock. I was wandering what size pad some of you ladies & gents use in your hammocks. I was also wandering anyones opinion if ths size pad would work ok in the ula conduit folded somehow. or what have you. If i decide on the vapourtrail or jam2 the pad would be burrito style in the pack. As far as stoves go im going to either make a pressurized alc stove that fits nicely in my esbit stove or make one that doubles as a pot stand ad ditch the esbit altogether. i do enjoy my esbit though ive become quite good on makig pancakes, eggs , and frying fish with 1/4 peices of esbit and a few well placed/timed featherd twigs. Im going to continue to carry my snowpeak trek900ti cook set. And make a better windscreen from flashing. As fa as hammocks go im still pretty much stuck on the clark northamerican . Though im verry interested in the warbonnet blackbird and look forward to reading more reveiws on it "lori". I feal im haveing the most trouble with a bag or quilt id like something good down to about 15f that vents well or can be used just as a blanket on warmer nites. Im kinda thinking maybe a taperd rectaingular bag without a hood just a nice drawstring at the top with at least one 3/4 leangth zipper . But im oppen to any suggestions. Id like to try and keep the weight of my essintial gear as low as possible so i can bring some nice optics, camera,ul fishig gear,maybe even a shorwave radio, a journal and who knows what else but as useual im running out of time . so thankyou for any suggestions ,advice or just plain sharing your opinion.

Samoset

Edited by Samoset (02/13/09 06:23 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum