Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110878 - 02/08/09 12:16 PM Down (or is it up?) the Yenisey River
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I just finished reading a book out for a couple years (published in hardbound 2003; I've got a softbound) titled, "Five Months in a Leaky Boat," by Ben Kozel.

It's about four young adventurers from Australia and Canada who were the first to paddle down the Yenisey River through Mongolia and Siberia to its exit point in the Arctic Ocean.

There's a little hiking in it, where they climb to the top of the peak of Otgon Tenger and the headwaters of the Yenisey. But mostly it's about their floating first in a sponsor-provided yellow inflatable and kayaks to Lake Baikal (by far the largest fresh water lake in volume in the world) and then by a "lifted," derelict dory they improvised for rowing up several thousand kilometers to the Arctic Ocean.

What a tale! They finished the trip within a week of the 9/11 attacks, which might be why I'd never heard of the trip, the Yenisey, or the book.

The author, Kozel, was about 28 when he made this trek (he had paddled from end to end of the Amazon shortly before); he's a great writer. Introspective, enlightened, and honest. I guess that's what was so pleasing about the book: heavy on insight, light on bravado (yet there certainly was some.)

Kozel noted early on that the Yenisey is a non-entity to most of us in the West, often mistaken for the Yangtzee, but it is the 5th longest river in the world. This is a great adventure tale in an area so alien from our own.

I was most impressed by Kozel's descriptions of the Mongols and Russians they met. Here are four young guys (youngest, a cyclist, who was 22) with a growing command of Russian, who are hopelessly in love not with the Russian culture, but with those hearty, giving people who have had to live within it. (I find it especially rewarding to learn something from someone half my age.)

I really recommend the book -- to paddlers, cyclists, hikers --to anyone who heads out for a some adventure.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#110934 - 02/09/09 06:24 AM Re: Down (or is it up?) the Yenisey River [Re: kevonionia]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Sound interesting but my local library and the state link does not have it. Amazon has a used copy for $50. Not that interesting.

#110956 - 02/09/09 01:01 PM Re: Down (or is it up?) the Yenisey River [Re: GrumpyGord]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Gg:

Nope, not worth $50. Nothing like recommending a book with that kind of a price tag! I've got my hiking buddy reading it now, but when he's thru I can send it to you media mail and you can buy me a beer when we do a hike up there. (I'm working on Karma points -- Last week I gave a ride to the store to some Canadians cruisin' thru on a sailboat, and then found out they live ON the Bruce Trail that I'm dying to do part of -- so it does pay.) PM me with an address to send it to and I'll mail it when he gives it back.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#111005 - 02/10/09 01:54 AM Re: Down (or is it up?) the Yenisey River [Re: kevonionia]
bmisf Offline

Hmm...I didn't know there were two of those books. From the same expedition, borrow or buy "Lost in Mongolia" by Colin Angus.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Mongolia-Raft...TF8&s=books

It's an enjoyable read...

#112525 - 03/09/09 01:07 PM Re: Down (or is it up?) the Yenisey River [Re: kevonionia]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I just finished "Five Months....". Kevonionia had sent it to me. Thank you Kevon. I had gotten the other book "Lost in Mongolia..." from an inner library exchange. I cannot really add much to the earlier review but reading the two books close together made for a very interesting read.

The "Five..." book is about twice the size of the "Lost.." book. Many of the passages make it look like the two authors either were working from the same set of notes or one was plagiarizing from the other. On the other hand many events related in one book which would seem to be very significant are not even mentioned in the other book. This is true in both directions. The main thing which I noticed was that Ben Kozel ("Five..") was much more into feelings and personal interactions than Colin Angus ("Lost.."). In reading Colin there is very little mention of personality differences or conflicts. His style is more like my personal hiking journals which tend to be much more fact than feeling. Ben on the other hand was less specific on facts and was very specific about various conflicts and hurt feelings etc. I am sure that it is mainly a difference in personality. Colin is very laid back and Ben is more introspective.

It would be interesting to see a third viewpoint from the other participant who was at the center of most of the conflicts.

I would recommend reading either or both. They are not hiking books but they do fit in with a wilderness adventure.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum