Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108404 - 12/28/08 06:48 PM anyone have experience with bunions?
bobito9 Offline

Mine keep getting worse, and they are not a joke! Ouch!! The pain comes and goes, but the bumps are getting more pronounced, and my big toes have become more tender and less flexible. They didn't stop me from doing a 45 mile trip last summer, and I don't plan to let them keep me from doing the Grand Canyon next month, but a podiatrist told me that they will just keep getting worse and suggests that I get surgery, that the earlier I get it done, the better my results will be. It seems to be partly hereditary, because my Mom has them, too. I also have very flat feet and have had a large assortment of foot ailments over the years, progressively becoming more frequent. I wear good $65 over-the-counter orthotics, which no doubt help my arches, plantar faschitis, etc, but I guess won't do anything for my bunions. It's not like they hurt every day yet, but I want to keep hiking for the rest of my life. thanks!

#108439 - 12/29/08 09:14 AM Re: anyone have experience with bunions? [Re: bobito9]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
You doc is right. Both my big toes were injured in separate accidents as a teenager and the joints finally quit functioning, which I could live with except for the pain.
I had "Keller Bunionectomies" on both feet. Look it up...pretty radical stuff....but I'm 100% functional, no pain, and can wear less than EEEE size shoes now.
Depending on your bunion type and the surgery, expect a fairly long recovery time. Mine was 3 months to heal, 1 year to get back to normal. I could still hike during that time but the trekking poles became a staple...and they still are.

#108451 - 12/29/08 02:40 PM Re: anyone have experience with bunions? [Re: bobito9]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I have bunionettes, same as bunions but on the little toe side, sometimes (typically?) this is accompanied by underlapping/overlapping little toe and next-to-little toe. So it can show up as blisters there (Injinji toe socks help, as do silicon spacers).

For the bunionette problem, surgery was an option, but just getting a wide enough shoe turned out to be sufficient. I went with Golite shoes, which have a roomy toe box. I wore Golites for 2600+ miles thru-hiking the PCT this year, with no bunionette problem, whereas with typical hiking shoes I'm sure I would have been in pain early on.

I don't know if, or how any of this relates to big-toe side bunions, and I definitely do not mean to be dispensing amateur medical advice (!), but one possibility would be to try to get a shoe with a wide toe box and try out another 50 or so mile trip and see how it goes.

With a bail out option, perhaps. Trying a 200 mile shakedown hike last year in other shoes, the bunionettes started hurting badly enough I had to walk to where I had cell reception to call for a pickup!

Best of luck with your problem.

Brian Lewis
http://postholer.com/brianle

#108457 - 12/29/08 04:16 PM Re: anyone have experience with bunions? [Re: BrianLe]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have bunions and hammertoes, on one side so badly that toe #2 lies over the top of my big toe. It's definitely hereditary; my mother had them as do two of my children. However, as long as I can find supportive footwear with a sufficiently wide and high toe box, I haven't had pain. The last podiatrist I consulted pointed out that foot surgery is painful and has a long recovery time. Even if I had it in October, I'd probably have to miss the next backpacking season or at least be limited to overnighters. I figure that as long as I can hike without pain, I'm not going to risk the surgery. At my age, the backpacking season I miss might just be my last one.

I've found that twice daily use of Body Glide takes care of the blister problem, as do socks without toe seams (the seams rub on the high point of the hammertoes).

However, we are each individuals, so I'd go with what works for you. If I were having pain, I'd have gone under the knife years ago!

Edited by OregonMouse (12/29/08 04:17 PM)

#110143 - 01/27/09 02:22 AM Re: anyone have experience with bunions? [Re: OregonMouse]
Lupine Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
I don't know the type of surgery I had, but I did have rather large bunions removed from the outsides of my feet (below little toe) when I was about 19 years old. I used to alpine ski like a maniac, but when I skied all day not realizing my boots were on the wrong feet, I realized I'd been dealing with the pain too long!

I had to wear goofy styrofoam shoes for a couple months (crutches for a few weeks), and x-rays of my feet show twist-tie type wires in the bones of my feet, but I've been pain-free since. I was SUPPOSED to get orthotics, but never did, and now that I'm pushing 40, I say, "meh".

Try the suggestions above, but don't rule out surgery.

#110177 - 01/27/09 05:39 PM Re: anyone have experience with bunions? [Re: bobito9]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Many man years ago I did have some problems with bunions and blisters too. The bunions just never got really bad but the blisters took some practice to get rid of and then learn how to avoid them. I am not sure that you can do any thing about the bunions except for surgery. I am not really into any doctor cutting on me so my advice if at all possible, avoid the surgery if you can... I can't really remember what the doc said caused the bunions but I don' think that they just go away by themselves...Hope that helps...sabre11004...

The first step that you take will be one of those that get you there !!!!!!

#110829 - 02/06/09 08:54 PM Re: anyone have experience with bunions? [Re: bobito9]
obi96 Offline

Loc: Vermont
I had a bunion on my right foot for over 20 years. It became more painful over the years. Plastic mountaineering boots were the worst, even after blowing them out at a ski shop.
I had surgery for it 3 years ago, Thank God the body can't remember pain, a week or so of pure agony, then a month or so on cructhes ( some how I forgot to bring them on our trip to Hawaii.)
Today, I think the surgery was one of the best decisions I've made. No more pain and foot wear that lasts more than 3 months. Good luck.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum