Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110019 - 01/24/09 09:35 PM Mini SLR Camera
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

I ran across this in this month's issue of PopSci and it looked interesting for backpacking purposes.

http://www.popsci.com/node/30632

Combines the interchangeable lenses of an SLR with the compact body of a point-and-shoot.

Kevenonia or any of you other pro or semi-pro photographers care to comment?

#110040 - 01/25/09 10:02 AM Re: Mini SLR Camera [Re: Tango61]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
The way I read, the Oly is only a concept and the Panasonic is a reduced sensor 18mm x 13.5mm, using the 4/3's format. It can be used with other 4/3 lenses via an adapter ring, but may/may not be compatible with it's autofocus. It has no reflex mirror and images have to be composed using the LCD. Here are the conclusions from DP Review for the Panasonic G1.

#110042 - 01/25/09 11:08 AM Re: Mini SLR Camera [Re: scottyb]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Missing the mirror means that you aren't looking through the viewfinder but at the LCD screen, meaning the only option is "live view," not the way I like to take pix outside in bright sunlight, and especially if there's any "action" in the shot.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#110043 - 01/25/09 11:30 AM Re: Mini SLR Camera [Re: Tango61]
Paddy_Crow Offline

Loc: Michigan
Technically speaking, without the mirror wouldn't it just be an SL as opposed to an SLR?

#110051 - 01/25/09 01:24 PM Re: Mini SLR Camera [Re: Paddy_Crow]
scottyb Offline

A "SL" or a P&S with a lens mount and a larger sensor. The review gives them cudos for breaking away from the "60 year old SLR mindset", since Panasonic never built a film SLR. Then they made it look like an SLR for marketability, including the faux reflex hump.

The question I have, is it compact enough and that much lighter weight, to justify the compromises. There are P$S's out that have the functionability of a DSLR (RAW, manual exposure, hot shoe) that are indeed compact and very light weight, that may come closer to the justication.

#110055 - 01/25/09 02:03 PM Re: Mini SLR Camera [Re: scottyb]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
It's an "EVIL" camera -- Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens.

The micro-4/3 sensor is only slightly smaller than the APS size chip in the basic digital SLR. It's much bigger than any point and shoot camera sensor. It's the same sensor that you'll find in the professional Olympus cameras (E1 and E3), along with the regular 4/3 system cameras. (The "micro" refers to the lens mount, not the sensor itself.)

All in all, the G-1 is an interesting little camera. "Little" being the operative word. The two zoom lenses are tiny, and cover a focal range equivalent to 28-400mm on a 35mm film camera. The lenses feature built-in stabilization, which is a great feature (and one I get a lot of use out of with my Canon lenses.) Sure, there are issues with using an EVF for everything, and the camera may be too small for some hands, but the camera body is about 12.5 ounces, compared to 17 ounces for a Canon Rebel, so the weight savings may be worth it for lightweight backpackers who want to carry an SLR, er, EVIL camera.

I'm quite interested to see what will come out of this format. A good online review is at Luminous Landscape:

http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic-g1.shtml

#110056 - 01/25/09 02:14 PM Re: Mini SLR Camera [Re: scottyb]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
The concept of the Olympic is fine, but here is the problem-try holding a camera in your hands with a long lense on it without a tripod. I used to be able to hold a Leica with a 90 mm lense on it still enough at 1/8 of a second not to see any induced motion. I could do the same thing with a Nikon SLR. The reason was that I could hold the camera in my hands with my elbows pressed against my body-essentially making a tripod.

With a digital camera with no finder, you can't do that. You have to hold it far enough away from you to see the screen. Plus light washes out the finder.

Olympus does make a fairly small real SLR.

#110058 - 01/25/09 02:54 PM Re: Mini SLR Camera [Re: TomD]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Its the future.

Seriously, as EVFs improve there's less compelling argument for the whole pentaprism-focus screen-mirror and mirrorbox route. dslrs aren't going away but they're now as small as they're ever going to be, and eliminating those bits opens the door to shrinking both camera and lens without giving up performance. Hence, µ4/3.

A shoutout here to digital interchangable lens rangefinders, but since the $8000 M8 is the only one sold at present (lens extra) they're not exactly setting the world on fire. The fixed lens Sigma DP1 is another nice backpacking option, but that fixed lens is a big shortcoming for a nearly thousand dollar camera.

The Panny G1 has been very well received, and Oly is rumored to be releasing two µ4/3 bodies and an unknown number of lenses later this year. One body should be similar to the one pictured (a mockup from last summer's Photokina) and one will be a more complete camera that will include a viewfinder of some sort. A remaining question is whether Oly will offer in-body IS or make it lens-housed. I'm hoping for in camera, like most of their dslrs.

Panny's µ4/3 lens roadmap shows great promise, especially the ultrawide angle 7-14, which will be miniscule compared to its slr counterpart. Tiny, fast primes could come as well.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCG1/images/features/roadmap.png

Video fans will rejoice, as it's much easier to put video into these cameras than into dslrs.

If the economy doesn't torpedo these efforts at birth, I fully expect large numbers of lightweight backpackers to abandon their dslr kits for µ4/3. They're game-changers.

#110076 - 01/25/09 06:55 PM Re: Mini SLR Camera [Re: Tango61]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Thanks for all the feed back guys. I knew I could count on you all to provide the good scoop.

I realize that this new format will have it's strengths and weeknesses (lcd screen vs view finder, ability to hold steady) but I think it will be interesting to follow. I don't take many action shots and will probably continue to carry my GorillaPod or get me a click-stick to take self shots.

I currently use an Olympus SP-350, not the lightest but it fits my hand well. I'll definitely have to check out that Olympus SLR that was mentioned.

#110101 - 01/26/09 10:46 AM Re: Mini SLR Camera [Re: Rick_D]
scottyb Offline

I recently read where DSLR's only hold a 7% share of the digital photo market, where SLR's had a much higher share of the film market. I don't see EVF's or EVIL cameras attracting any of the 8 fps guys. It seems to me they will have a very small niche.

#110175 - 01/27/09 05:28 PM Re: Mini SLR Camera [Re: Tango61]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Tango61:

Forgive me for apparently living in a cave but what's click-stick? confused

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#110186 - 01/27/09 06:07 PM Re: Mini SLR Camera [Re: kevonionia]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Guessin' here, but I think he's referencing a stick you can mount the camera to and shoot back at yourself from greater than arm's length. "As seen on 'Survivorman.'"

That's all I've got :-)

Originally Posted By kevonionia
Tango61:

Forgive me for apparently living in a cave but what's click-stick? confused

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum