Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109639 - 01/19/09 03:01 PM Pack cover problems - a solution
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I got tired of pack covers blowing off or blowing around loosely and buckles that gouged my back.

I added straps that wrap around the pack to the front and buckle there. The straps hold the cover to the pack and there is no buckle in back to gouge. Simple. Maybe someone will start making them like that. Maybe someone already does and I don't know about it.

Edited by Spock (01/19/09 03:05 PM)

#109816 - 01/21/09 11:10 PM Re: Pack cover problems - a solution [Re: Spock]
grandtheory Offline

Loc: Indiana
My pack cover has a drawstring.

#109824 - 01/22/09 02:31 AM Re: Pack cover problems - a solution [Re: Spock]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge

#109854 - 01/22/09 01:39 PM Re: Pack cover problems - a solution [Re: OregonMouse]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I just bought a water proof pack and I don't have to worry about a malfunctioning pack cover. I have had it in several down-pours and nothing has ever gotten wet. I do, however place everything in water proof bags on the inside of my pack just in case...Hope that helps. (you can get three(3) Outdoor Research water proof bags at Walmart for 10 bucks.)This individual way of bagging every thing helps to distinguish what bag has what in it. I kind of remember from the color of the bag(there are only three colors)... Hope that helps.....sabre11004...

The first step that you take will oneof those that get you there !!!!

#109875 - 01/22/09 05:03 PM Re: Pack cover problems - a solution [Re: sabre11004]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Actually, a pack cover doesn't do much except keep the outside front and sides of the pack dry, plus stuff in the outside pockets. It won't keep heavy rain from running down your back and soaking in, and it's useless in case of immersion. I use one only because my pack is the basis for my pillow, so I like to keep the upper side dry. I'm going to experiment with other pillow possibilities to see if I can omit the pack cover, leaving the wet pack in the tent vestibule.

For a number of years I relied on using a 2-mil plastic trash compactor bag as a pack liner. Last summer I switched from the pack liner to putting my critical gear (sleeping bag and clothing) into Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil dry bags. With the trash compactor bag, I was spending too much time fighting with small items which I'd repeatedly shove down into the pack only to have them pop back out at me thanks to the slippery plastic. The dry bags earned their keep when I slipped and fell while fording a stream, ending up with a very wet me but completely dry gear inside the dry bags (there was a quarter-inch of water in the bottom of my pack). Since the weather was cold and rainy and I was 2 days' hike from the trailhead, I was extremely thankful for the dry bags!

#109898 - 01/22/09 08:56 PM Re: Pack cover problems - a solution [Re: OregonMouse]
JAK Offline

My Jam2 is pretty waterproof also. The only thing that needs protecting is my sleeping bag, and it is packed inside my bivy when things get wet. The clothes more or less hold their own. Wool stays on. Synthetics don't hold water.

I've questioned whether the pack should be waterproof, or if it should in fact be breathable, for when stuff goes in wet. So far I haven't had a problem with it being waterproof.

#109902 - 01/22/09 09:19 PM Re: Pack cover problems - a solution [Re: Spock]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I make my packs out of uncoated nylon. Things that I want to keep dry go into plastic bags inside the pack.

My pack gets wet from sweat and/or rain or damp ground. No problem. The water just runs through the pack and drains out.

In dry weather the pack can dry out quickly. I can also throw the pack into the washer between trips so I always start out with a fresh, clean pack.

#109920 - 01/23/09 06:26 AM Re: Pack cover problems - a solution [Re: Spock]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I gave up on covers and just use a sea to summit pack liner. Kind of a pain to pack but it keeps everything dry. If I had it to do over I would buy a larger s2s liner to make it easier to pack but if I leave some stuff which can get wet outside of the liner sack it works OK.

#109947 - 01/23/09 03:16 PM Re: Pack cover problems - a solution [Re: GrumpyGord]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I also gave up on covers, I use silnylon stuff sacks and a breathable pack. I keep my butt pad on top to deflect the worst of it and never have a problem - If it's truly horrible I wear
the silponcho over me and the pack.
Browse my pictures

#109992 - 01/24/09 04:21 AM Re: Pack cover problems - a solution [Re: Spock]
TurkeyBacon Offline

Loc: Boston
When I hiked the AT I came up with the same conclusion. I always had two straps around the pack to hold anything, but when the rain cover came on they went around the rain cover. I've concidered sewing them to the rain cover, but then they loose functionality as they are always with the rain cover.
Scott

#110021 - 01/24/09 10:19 PM Re: Pack cover problems - a solution [Re: TurkeyBacon]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Hey TB! There's a country not heard from lately. Hope all is well with you!

#110034 - 01/25/09 07:23 AM Re: Pack cover problems - a solution [Re: Folkalist]
TurkeyBacon Offline

Loc: Boston
It took me a while to figure out the new webpage... For some reason, I could not find the nice little button that read forums.??
TB

#110306 - 01/28/09 08:57 PM Re: Pack cover problems - a solution [Re: TurkeyBacon]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
The pack cover has several uses. As a cover, I've been satisfied with it although in heavy continuous rain, I, too, like to add a poncho over everything. The cover is also useful as a water bag and gear hammock (though not at the same time wink

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum