Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108497 - 12/30/08 01:40 PM Re: Solo hiking [Re: wandering_daisy]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
It also depends on which post within the larger posting is being replied to. Some folks reply to the latest comments. Somes folks who are reading the whole thread for the first time respond to intermittent comments.

#109759 - 01/21/09 01:30 PM Re: Solo hiking [Re: ringtail]
Icelander Offline

Loc: Ashland Oregon
I have hiked solo for over thirty years and really never have gotten myself into any serious trouble. For the last twenty years I have hiked in Oregon's high desert without trails. I usually set up a base camp and then head out in a different direction each morning and come back in the late afternoon to eat and sleep.

I guess I started going solo because of a lack of companions or a lack of suitable companions. And now at fifty six it's really difficult to find peers who want to rough it in the back country. But finding my way down some desert canyon and maybe catching a trout and picking some onions for my dinner is the best part of living IMO. I'm shocked and saddened that so few people care about it. But I guess that also has an up side. I almost never encounter other hikers in the places I frequent.

#109828 - 01/22/09 04:08 AM Re: Solo hiking [Re: Icelander]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I hike solo for several reasons. First, I prefer being on my own. Solitude allows me to do what I want to do. Second, I am an extremely slow hiker--1 mph on a good day. My dog has no objections, but most humans resent being slowed to such a snail's pace. Third, I have had experience going with a group and don't like it.

I have had it drummed into me from both family and friends that "hiking alone is unsafe." I tend to reject this partially due to some unfortunate experiences hiking with groups and partially due to the fact that I am more careful when going out alone.

I have, however, succumbed to considerable pressure and acquired a 10.8 oz. brick in the guise of an ACR Microfix Personal Locater Beacon. If the worst comes to the worst and my life is in danger, I can push the button. If nothing else, acquiring this (hopefully) useless item keeps my friends and relatives off my back!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/22/09 04:09 AM)

#109866 - 01/22/09 03:11 PM Re: Solo hiking [Re: OregonMouse]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I have, however, succumbed to considerable pressure and acquired a 10.8 oz. brick in the guise of an ACR Microfix Personal Locater Beacon.

Yucky! I'm so sorry OM. That is indeed a "brick".

I'm hitting the trail in 9 days for the first multiple day solo hike in years. I am looking forward to it more than anything I can remember in recent history. I know what I'm getting into and am very cautious. I think part of the problem with people thinking that solo hiking is so incredibly dangerous is that they have been city-fied so much themselves that they could not personally survive much less enjoy a trip in the wilderness.

#109878 - 01/22/09 05:14 PM Re: Solo hiking [Re: jpanderson80]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I would hate to see anyone going out solo who hadn't developed the skills and experience (more important than the gear) needed to cope when things hit the fan. Backpacking is really not something that beginners should attempt unless they stay very close to the trailhead and their cars for their first few trips, and close to high-traffic trails thereafter. In my case, I have 60-odd years of experience and have encountered and successfully coped with some really horrendous conditions, so I know what I'm doing and exactly what the risks are.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/22/09 05:16 PM)

#110659 - 02/04/09 12:38 AM Re: Solo hiking [Re: ringtail]
jimbame Offline

Solo hiking....I'm more aware (but still do silly things)...I can stop and nap or stop at a waterfall or at a panorama...more "things" to do alone just keeping the mileage to a reasonable number...but I can walk when I want and stop when I want....experience helps. Danger -- controllable even when the griz are around, or mountain lion scat....again more aware and willing to bail at any point...

#110666 - 02/04/09 04:01 AM Re: Solo hiking [Re: jimbame]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
"Danger -- controllable even when the griz are around, or mountain lion scat....again more aware and willing to bail at any point... "

My personal feeling is that for a prepared hiker there isn't a great deal of danger in hiking alone. Sure, if a tree falls on me or space aliens attack and only manage to wound me, it could be good to have someone along to help, but I mostly hike on established trails. Generally someone is going to come along at some point. Bears run away from me whether I'm alone or in a group, I've hiked through well known mountain lion areas and have yet to have an encounter. It could happen, but the stats don't suggest that I should worry about it.

Each of us is different here, I can only speak for myself, but I did feel a little --- odd, uncomfortable at first in hiking solo. After doing it for a lot of days in a row, I got pretty comfortable with it. I.e., as the novelty wore off, so did the nervousness. For a fit, intelligent + wise person with some experience who's hiking fairly frequented trails, I don't consider solo hiking to be particularly dangerous.

#110677 - 02/04/09 09:49 AM Re: Solo hiking [Re: BrianLe]
JAK Offline

It depends, but generally yeah, its a crock.
Same with paddling.
Most kayakers can't self rescue, and that's just crazy.

With the right partner, I could definitely do more with the partner than I am willing and able to do alone. Without the right partner I am unable to do as much as safely solo.

My daughter is a great hiking buddy though. She is only 9, and small, but we are almost able to do as much together as I am alone, at least on land and in summer. She is learning to sail, and to paddle, and to cross-country ski, so in a few more years she will be there, and a few more after that if we still travel together now and then we might be able to do some adventures that I might not do solo. We shall see. It's more likely that she will go here own way, and that's ok. There is always solo.

#114737 - 04/20/09 06:43 PM Re: Solo hiking [Re: JAK]
Salik Offline

Loc: Elgin, IL
This whole discussion has been very interesting. It seems that solo hiking fits with most people's goals for hiking. Personally, my purpose for hiking is to observe nature and connect with my creator. Thus, solo hiking fits best. When I hike with other people, they tend to talk too much and break the thoughts and reflections that I am having. I hiked with one of my teachers, and he positively added to the experience and pushed me harder than I would have gone alone which was fun. But as a whole, I'd definitely prefer to hike alone to fully focus on the beauty of my surroundings and being able to take as long as I want to look at something that I feel is spectacular.

#118240 - 07/11/09 05:11 PM Re: Solo hiking [Re: ringtail]
EricaStolte Offline

Loc: SouthernVT
I would rather hike with another person. I am hiking solo by necessity as it's hard to find an activity partner.

#118844 - 07/28/09 06:33 PM Re: Solo hiking [Re: ringtail]
Greg Offline

Loc: VA
Truthfully, It all depend in the mood im in. I personally would rather have atleast one person with me. Always that one circumstance, if something happens they r there to help ya. But it is always nice just to get out there by yourself. Most of the time I need someone to take a pic of me, because no one wants to believe I made it to the top.

#118972 - 08/02/09 05:31 PM Re: Solo hiking [Re: Greg]
bigb Offline

Loc: Maryland
I hike solo 90% of the time human wise but always have a K9 partner. I have hiked solo with no dog and it is much different truly alone. I enjoy both but at this point couldn't imagine not taking my dog. For me trips with people take more planning and I can't hike my hike, but still can be enjoyable. I normally just let another person be boss and enjoy the ride.

#119685 - 08/21/09 11:14 PM Re: Solo hiking [Re: billk]
David Lee Offline

Loc: Beijing
-send the clone to work....
Well that sounds good to me!

Edited by David Lee (08/21/09 11:17 PM)

#120031 - 08/28/09 04:49 PM Re: Solo hiking [Re: Salik]
rapchizzle Offline

Loc: Charleston SC
I've just started to get back into hiking after a few years of hiatus when I got out of the Boy Scouts. Since then, I've done two weekend trips, one solo and one with a good friend of mine. I'm planning another trip to the same state park (different part though) and to be honest, I'm not inviting anyone else. There's just something about doing it alone that I love, whether it be the self reliance, sense of adventure or even just proving to myself that I can do it without having to rely on someone else.

One day I hope to be speaking through the voice of experience like a lot of you hiking veterans. And when I get out of college I plan on getting myself a dog that will become my new hiking partner

#120057 - 08/29/09 01:35 PM Re: Solo hiking [Re: rapchizzle]
jonnycat Offline

Loc: PNW
I find that humans step on my nature buzz, but a good dog can connect you to the natural world like nothing else. Plus you get a nice big furry thing in your tent at the end of your day!

#138957 - 09/17/10 11:43 PM Re: Solo hiking [Re: jonnycat]
keedos Offline

It’s hard to find a good trail partner that is happy to hike at the same pace as me. Also, sometimes I want to scramble up that peak, and sometimes I don’t. It’s hard if I’m stuck with someone that isn’t on the same page. It’s just easier if I go alone. The way I look at it is if I die hiking up in the mountains at least it will be doing something I enjoy.

#139005 - 09/19/10 11:00 AM Re: Solo hiking [Re: ringtail]
POPsJr. Offline

I backpack with groups and solo. I enjoy most, multi day solo trips to remote area. A peacefull mornings on a lake or stream, sun rsing, fish rising, flyrod working, just cant get better than that for me. Heck if you stay home too long your honey do list will get longer, I think it is better to pass over in the woods than cutting the lawn in the back yard.

#140572 - 10/16/10 08:57 PM Re: Solo hiking [Re: billk]
Sarge Offline

Loc: Upstate South Carolina
In response to earlier clone jokes:

If your clone committed a crime while you hiked, would you let him use you as an alibi?

Edited by Sarge (10/16/10 08:57 PM)

#140655 - 10/17/10 10:58 PM Re: Solo hiking [Re: Sarge]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Ya so this is an old thread, but now I've moved next to massive recent lava flow here Bend Oregon and hiking alone on the lava is an extremely dangerous thing to do, but thats what I'm going to do, but I've decided to carry a cell phone Its so rough that a fall 100 feet in could be very bad, a difficult rexcue, if I survived rocks moving. I'll certainly be dressed for it, might even wear a helmet.
Jim

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum