Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109555 - 01/17/09 10:05 PM Wool survival blanket!
chekboy2 Offline

Loc: chattanooga, TN
Im new to backpacking and i am trying to get all my gear ready for my first winter trip. I live and hike mostly in the southeast. I was wandering if these 100% wool survival blankets that i have seen at the army surpluse store are actually as warm as they claim to be. i was going to use this with a 20 degree sleeping bag becuase i cant really afford to buy a nice bag right now. if any of you have any experience with these blankets let me have your input. you guys would know better than i would.

#109556 - 01/17/09 10:26 PM Re: Wool survival blanket! [Re: chekboy2]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Most of the "wool survival blankets" I've seen in surplus stores are

1) heavy
2) usually about 50% wool.

aka, generally kind of crappy.

While they may actually be warm, If you already have a 20 degree bag, when are you trying to go out? You can probably do better heading into a second hand clothing store and finding yourself some fleece and/or cashemere sweaters to wear in the bag at night. alternatively find second cheap barrel bag at wal-mart and put your existing bag inside it. It'll be lighter and you'll probably be warmer.

Browse my pictures

#109559 - 01/17/09 10:52 PM Re: Wool survival blanket! [Re: chekboy2]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I carry a horse-blanket-style wool blanket with me... in the trunk of my car. It makes sense there. I suspect that a synthetic-fill sleeping bag that is lower-rated than 20 would make more sense if you plan to hike in a very low temp season of the year.

Remember, the main function of insulation is to create dead air space near your body that your body heat can linger within. The colder it is, the deeper a layer of dead air you need surrounding you to stay warm. A wool blanket may not be the best way to enlarge that space.

Also, you will benefit a lot from good R-values under you, to insulate you from the ground. A dense closed cell foam pad is the most efficient way to keep the ground (or snow) from sucking heat out of you from below.

However, if a wool blanket is what you think you can afford and you are willing to carry it, then it may make sense for you.

#109613 - 01/18/09 11:52 PM Re: Wool survival blanket! [Re: chekboy2]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Not to knock them, but let me put it this way... I grew up in a woodstove-heated house in Alaska, and some mornings it would be in the lower 40s inside the house. A wool blanket wouldn't keep me warm at night back then. You might stay warmer by wearing most of your hiking clothes inside your 20 degree bag. One of those polarfleece bag liners might also work just as well if not better.

I used to keep a wool blanket in the car, though, because I wouldn't have to worry about one losing its fluff if left in a stuffsack forever.

#109622 - 01/19/09 09:17 AM Re: Wool survival blanket! [Re: chekboy2]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
My dad taught me how to happily camp using a wool Marine Corps blanket and some matches. It was bliss! Of course here in Texas, you don't need much blanket, in spring and summer. A down quilt, however, is much lighter and packs much smaller.
I do still use wool 'disaster' blankets (from Campmor) when car camping. They work well in hammocks and on cots. I typically use two, one for my back. I like wool and those blankets are indestructible, plus they feel warmer than the same weight in fleece. They work well as ground cover, on grass. They feel like stiff felt until you wash/dry them a few times and they soften up.

#109623 - 01/19/09 10:21 AM Re: Wool survival blanket! [Re: Dryer]
JAK Offline

I bring a wool blanket instead of a blue foam pad on day hikes.
It is heavier, but more versatile, and about the same volume.

#109633 - 01/19/09 01:38 PM Re: Wool survival blanket! [Re: JAK]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
How cold are the temps where you are going? I use a bag rated to -5C (+23F) plus an overbag, which really just a lightweight bag, in temps down to about +15. I toss my parka over the bag if I wake up cold at night. This is in a winter tent. I sleep on two pads-a Ridgerest and a Thermo-rest that insulate me from the snow.

If the wool blanket is heavy, it will tend to compress your bag and lessen the insulating effect of the airspace in it. I would wear a base layer (long synthetic underwear-not made from cotton) plus a fleece jacket and pants, heavy socks and a fleece beanie or balaclava in place of the wool blanket. If your bag has a hood, that will help as well. You could even wear a light pair of synthetic or wool gloves. I don't usually wear the fleece or the gloves while sleeping, but do wear a beanie sometimes.

#109663 - 01/19/09 08:45 PM Re: Wool survival blanket! [Re: chekboy2]
MattnID Offline

Loc: Idaho
You want something cheap, probably avaliable in a military surplus store and lighter than a wool blanket? Go look for a poncho liner. If all you're using it for is to line you're sleeping bag that'll be just as affective as an old green wool military blanket. I've used poncho liners numerous times to make things warmer when I was in the Army. They're always nice when you've got to sleep out in -30 F weather.

#109864 - 01/22/09 03:10 PM Re: Wool survival blanket! [Re: chekboy2]
StepChld Offline

Loc: Garland, Texas
I suggest you go to the fabric store right now(On sale) and get two six foot lengths of fleece and then sew them together. Lighter than wool blankets, warmer than them and dries quickly if they get wet. Total cost was about $15. Packs about the same...which isn't great, but definatly lighter.
I take this with my cheap 20 degree sleeping bag and when combined with my self inflating Therm-a-rest, I'm quite comfy into the mid teens.

Oh and another thing, I lay the fleece blanket over the top of my sleeping bag, not inside or under.

Edited by StepChld (01/22/09 03:11 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum