Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108910 - 01/07/09 04:38 PM Backpacking boots vs Hiking boots
getlost75 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Does anyone know the difference between backpacking boots and hiking boots? I was checking out some websites and they have 2 different listings for there boots, backpacking and hiking. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two? If there is a difference, does anyone have a preference for use when backpacking?

#108919 - 01/07/09 06:32 PM Re: Backpacking boots vs Hiking boots [Re: getlost75]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
1) marketing

2) Some "backpacking boots" are stiffer and have things like a full shank, or 3/4 shank - making a stiffer boot than a "hiking
boot" - but that's a general statement, not a rule per say.

knowing if it's a full shank, 3/4 shank or half shank boot
is probably more important than what label someone gave it to
try to sell it.

But the proof is on your feet. not in what it's called. if it
fits and you like it, wear it. if it feels stiff and nasty, don't.
Browse my pictures

#108933 - 01/07/09 08:04 PM Re: Backpacking boots vs Hiking boots [Re: phat]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Phat is right, boots are boots. Put on your boots, start walking, you're hiking. Put on a pack, you're backpacking. Any difference? Not really. People wear trail runners to do the long trails like the Appalachian Trail or Pacific Crest.

Unless you are carrying a big heavy pack on rough trails or off trails, most any boot that is comfortable will do fine. Some will last longer of course, depending on the quality.

The important thing is fit and support. Everything else is just details.

Preference-I wear a "real boot" for ankle support. Plenty of people here think that is old school and wear trail runners all the time.

Edited by TomD (01/07/09 08:06 PM)

#108964 - 01/08/09 01:30 AM Re: Backpacking boots vs Hiking boots [Re: getlost75]
jasonlivy Offline

Loc: Colorado
My take is that some boots are better suited than others depending on the terrain. Take, for instance, the Montrail Moraine ATs vs. Kayland Vertigos vs. Keen Targhee IIs.

The Morane ATs are heavy-duty, super burley, boots. However they aren't insulated and as stiff as full on mountaineering boots. I've used these when carrying heavy loads in off-trail terrain. They fit my feet well, are super stable for carrying heavy loads over rocky terrain, and the leather is premium treated so as to be waterproof in wet conditions without needing a membrane (3mm Perwanger Leather, best available). I would use these when backpacking into the Wind Rivers or any mountain range that necessitates a long approach if carrying a heavy load.

The Kayland Vertigo's are excellent general purpose boots that are best for weeklong backpacking trips where the weight of the pack is kept around the 30lb. mark. They are stiff, but not too stiff as to be difficult to walk in and, because of this, they don't need alot of break-in time (this break-in time is needed for stiff boots to force them to flex where your foot flexes and for the leather to shape to your foot--depending on the boot, this make take only a few days all the way up to a few months). I love that they are full-grain leather, but fairly light. I also love that they use an eVent w/b membrane, much better than Gore-tex. These are my favorite boots currently.

The Keen Targhee II boots are more a 'hiking' boot in that they feel like a burley pair of athletic shoes. The leather isn't as stiff (split grain vs. full grain leather), it uses EVA foam rather than polyurethane for weight and cushiness (the EVA does wear out much faster than PU and isn't near as stiff), it is much lighter, it doesn't have the rock protection of the two previous boots, and my foot does get fatigued if I am carrying more than 25 lbs. eight miles or so. I can tell a huge difference between these and the Kayland boots in terms of comfort and support. I think this is the biggest difference...

Trail runners would most likely be next on the tier which are best if the load carried is around 15lbs. on an established trail. My feet really become fatigued and sore if I do many miles in these shoes if the trail is rocky and I'm carrying a lot of weight.

I would base my decision on what type of activity you will be involved with. If you plan on backpacking a week or more in rough terrain, you are best suited with a boot like the Kayland Vertigos. However, if you are an ultra-light backpacker (pack not more than 15lbs) who goes for weekends on intermediate to mild terrain then trailrunners might work for you. If you mostly dayhike in the Rocky Mtns, the Keen Targhee IIs are excellent. This also depends on your feet's characteristics (high arch, bunions, sensitive feet, etc.). I would seek out a good specialty shop who knows footwear intimately. Good footwear is expensive but can be one of the best investments you will make.

#108971 - 01/08/09 09:36 AM Re: Backpacking boots vs Hiking boots [Re: getlost75]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
The differences lie in their ability to help you carry weight. Backpacking Boots are designed for 50+ lb loads over extended days. They are stiffer and heavier. Hiking Boots are meant for carrying your light day pack and just wondering around the woods. Both of these titles are focused on mainstream backpacking. For those looking to lighten up, Backpacking boots are too heavy, and hiking boots are borderline too heavy. If you aren't carrying 50+ lbs, you don't need backpacking boots.

As a side note, I have a pair of heavy, all leather backpacking boots (Dunham Wafflestompers). They fit my feet perfectly, are very comfortable, and have amazing ankle support. I hurt my ankles pretty badly in high school and have always thought I needed the support. But, this site convinced me to at least try trailrunners. I found a pair of Merrel Chameleons on sale that fit, and decided to try them. I have been VERY surprised. Especially when I went on a day hike carrying 40 lbs (a child carrier with a 30 lb child plus extras, children are so heavy). I would walk up steep slopes of loose gravel and sand, or steep slopes with rocks, and my ankles never had a problem. Now, I only wear my Dunhams in the snow.

#108983 - 01/08/09 01:09 PM Re: Backpacking boots vs Hiking boots [Re: TomD]
Berserker Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
I agree with phat and TomD. The label is just a marketing thing, and aid to be able to categorize the footwear. I've seen boots advertised as for use with day hiking or lightweight hiking that you could probably wear while carrying a 70 lb pack amongst other weird things.

Anyway, I wear more traditional boots (typically made of synthetics) just because that is what I have found to be most comfortable thus far. I have experimented with trail runners and other varitions that probably fall between trail runners and boots with varying degress of success. So my advice would be to find what fits best and go from there. On a side note, the trail runners that didn't work out for backpacking made nice day hiking shoes that I use regulary during my training.

#108987 - 01/08/09 01:39 PM Re: Backpacking boots vs Hiking boots [Re: jasonlivy]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Jason said: "Trail runners would most likely be next on the tier which are best if the load carried is around 15lbs. on an established trail."

I'd suggest this as a personal rule, and not one that's universally applicable --- for me, that seems like quite a low weight threshold (i.e., implied is "if over 15 pounds go to boots").

I got to know a lot of PCT thru-hikers this year and most of us were in trail runners, and we mostly carried over 15 pounds for most of the distance. In the Sierras this year my pack weight was over 40 pounds in places and there's no way I would have wanted to trade for the extra weight and the slower dry-out time of boots over trail runners.

It's not just a matter of thru's being stronger, more up-to-speed either. When I'm out of shape and doing a weekend trip, I'll still take trail runners.

It seems that most especially with footware that each person has to try out different options and work out what's best for them.

#109010 - 01/08/09 08:01 PM Re: Backpacking boots vs Hiking boots [Re: BrianLe]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
I extend my agreement with Phat and Tom, as well.

One additional factor, is footbeds. You can take a fairly flimsy trail-runner, add something like SuperFeet and you have a very supportive shoe. If you use the footbed daily, then you are always "wearing the same shoe" from an internal experience standpoint--regardless of which pair you happen to have on.

If you will be doing that, your most effective and cheapest over the long haul is something like the Feathersprings I use.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum