Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107821 - 12/10/08 06:45 PM Sunnto CORE watch/compass Experiences?
theepdinker Offline

I'm considering the Sunnto CORE model "wrist top" as Sunnto calls it.
It's a watch/altimeter/barometer/compass that wears like a large wrist watch.
I'm hoping to find somebody with first hand experience with this model.
My concerns are ease of use when changing mode or calibrating and accuracy of the functions.
Ease of setting alarms is a biggie too.

Theep

#107822 - 12/10/08 09:18 PM Re: Sunnto CORE watch/compass Experiences? [Re: theepdinker]
northernbcr Offline

Loc: bc/yukon border area
i have also wondered about this suunto has a good name but i am kind of leary about these mega combo items has any one got any info on these.

#107823 - 12/10/08 09:43 PM Re: Sunnto CORE watch/compass Experiences? [Re: theepdinker]
BpackerDon Offline

Loc: Northern Calif
I have a Suunto Core. Got it lightly used at an REI "garage sale"

It seems to be a pretty good watch. The alarm is actually loud enough to wake me up. It will "snooze" every 5 minutes for an hour if you want it to, or you can just turn it off. Depends upon which of two buttons you push when the alarm goes off. The alarm automatically reactivates for the next day unless you manually turn the alarm off in the menu.

Easy to change mode- you just push the button which would be the winding button on an old mechanical watch ( the button at 3:00 on the face - it is called the mode button)

Alarm setting- when the watch is showing the time, push and hold the mode button. This brings up the menu. Press the - button to change the menu from "memory" to "time date" Push mode again to pick "alarm" within the time date menu. Push mode the third time, and the alarm time comes up.Push mode a 4th time, and the hours blink, can be set with the + or - buttons. One more push with the mode button makes the minutes blink, again can be set with the + or - buttons. Once the alarm time is correctly set, push start/stop to exit.

Sounds complicated, but it is not really- Just push mode several times until you get where you need to be. After you have done if a few times, it is easy!!

In general, the menu system is pretty easy to work with.

If you like, you can go to the Suunto web site and download the manual. This is what I did as the watch was used, and did not come with a manual. Having the manual is important!!

The watch is a bit physically large, seems to keep good time

I like it- would be better if physically smaller, but a lot is packed onto your wrist.

#107824 - 12/11/08 06:21 AM Re: Sunnto CORE watch/compass Experiences? *DELETED* [Re: BpackerDon]
JAK Offline

Post deleted by JAK

#107825 - 12/11/08 08:45 AM Re: Sunnto CORE watch/compass Experiences? [Re: JAK]
theepdinker Offline

BpackerDon,
Thanks, that's the feedback I'm looking for.
Anybody else?
I'm after users experiences and opinions, good or bad.

Theep

#107826 - 12/11/08 04:52 PM Re: Sunnto CORE watch/compass Experiences? [Re: theepdinker]
bmisf Offline

I have one as well and use it a fair amount.

Overall, I like it; it's a bit big and bulky compared to a regular watch, but not to most other watches like it. I have the metal one with the thin green stripe around the bezel, and like the way it looks.

Setting the time, alarm, and most other functions is very straightforward. The one function that continually vexes me is adjusting the elevation (either setting a known elevation or adding/subtracting feet), though I think that's mostly from not remembering the exact steps, and not that it's that much more complicated than anything else on the watch.

I find it eats batteries more frequently than I'd like (a couple times a year), but then that's also affected by using the altimeter display and compass, which take more power than when the watch is just showing the time.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum