Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126082 - 12/30/09 01:17 PM Re: gravity water filters [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I visited the ULA website yesterday and did not see the Amigo Pro gravity water filter listed among their products anywhere. It would appear that the new owner has discontinued it. It may be because it was so cheap that ULA didn't make much profit on it.

Now I am especially glad I bought one last August!

#126088 - 12/30/09 02:33 PM Re: gravity water filters [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The deal with the ULA Amigo Pro is that the person who designed it had a "handshake" agreement with Brian to make it. The designer did not want to continue the agreement with the new owners of ULA. This per an email I received from Casey of ULA in November.

I hope that means that the designer will start making these filters on his own, but I'm not holding my breath.

#126359 - 01/05/10 11:38 PM Re: gravity water filters [Re: OregonMouse]
gardenville Offline

Loc: Remember the Alamo - Texas
This story about a mystery person is just so much BS.

Back in Sep 2005 I started a "How To" thread at backpackinglight.com, titled "Cuben/Amigo H2O Water Filter-Bag Replacement".

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/1294/index.html

The thread evolved into a complete made over for the ULA H2O Amigo Water Filter.

I didn't like the filter that came with it and changed it to a much lightened Katadyn Hiker-Pro filter.

At the same time I moved the filter from hanging under the water bag to inside the water bag.

I then made a new water bag out of Cuben Fiber and the total weight was now under 2 ounces.

Jerry Goller from Backpacking Gear Test.com read about what I was doing and sent me an email saying he wanted to show my version to Brian.

I never really knew that Brian brought out a new filter that he now called the ULA Amigo Pro till much later. I never received any notice from Brian about his use of my ideas for his new water filter. Take a look at my filter and then look at the Amigo Pro.

When I read about the new owners and this story about where the idea came from I sent them an email with about the same message you are reading here and the link to my filter. Check the dates. I don't know who the mystery person is, but I still have all the emails between me and Jerry Goller.

I told them to put it back into production that after all it was just a water filter, a bag, some fittings and a piece of hose. The ULA Amigo Pro is a "clone / copy" of my water filter, not some mystery persons.

Edited by gardenville (01/05/10 11:46 PM)

#126361 - 01/05/10 11:43 PM Re: gravity water filters [Re: gardenville]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Gardenville, nice to hear from you again.
Jim smile

#126362 - 01/05/10 11:51 PM Re: gravity water filters [Re: Jimshaw]
gardenville Offline

Loc: Remember the Alamo - Texas
Hi Jim,

Still alive but not really able to do any hiking yet.

I check this site a couple times a months to see what is going on.

#126364 - 01/05/10 11:52 PM Re: gravity water filters [Re: gardenville]

I bought my Amigo Pro filter in 2007. While Brian Frankle switched to the Katadyn Hiker Pro filter that year, he kept the silnylon water bag with the configuration he'd had the year before (2006) (which did have the water filter inside the bag). IMHO, the one weakness was that it's extremely difficult to hold the water bag open while dipping water into it from shallow places where you can't dip the bag. I'd rather have a tailored water bag that could be held open under those circumstances.

My Amigo Pro water bag started leaking severely last summer. I haven't been able to find a hole, but it loses its contents in about an hour and it is difficult to keep the drips from contaminating the output. I was going to get a new one, but the ULA new management stopped carrying it. I'm therefore going to make my own bucket and use the existing Amigo Pro hardware (with a new Hiker Pro filter). I hadn't thought of cuben, but it sounds like a much better idea than silnylon!

#126365 - 01/06/10 12:21 AM Re: gravity water filters [Re: OregonMouse]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Hi Mouse
this isn't a reply directed at you just a reply in general. I got rid of my gravity filter in - oh 1988 I think, because it was too slow. If I need water I don't have time to wait on a system that cannot be pressurized. To me the hanging filter concept is more for around a cabin. I have no idea how the new ones work, but since you only get 1/2 PSI per foot of water, you'd need a filter element about 20 feet below the reservoir to filter efficiently enough to make up for clogging by particulate matter and back flushing would be hard. Ceramic filters can break if they freeze, like being left out over night in the Sierras to give you morning water. I really prefer a pump type and I like my PUR hiker, as I can get a quart of water in a minute and continue hiking.
Jim YMMV

#126366 - 01/06/10 12:47 AM Re: gravity water filters [Re: Jimshaw]

The ULA Amigo Pro filters about 1 liter per minute, which is pretty fast. Before I got it, I kept putting my lower back out bending over the water source using a pump filter. Very painful! Pump filters are also several ounces heavier. The back problems were why I switched. It's really nice to be able to do something else (putting up the tent or admiring the scenery or even taking a cat nap) while your water filters!

I tried the Aquamira Frontier Pro (why are they all called "Pro"?) as a gravity filter last summer. This was per the video from Jason Klass, which recommends using Aquamira or Katadyn tablets to kill "the little stuff" (bacteria and viruses) and using the filter to get "the big stuff," by which I assume he means protozoa. The filter itself takes about 12-15 minutes to filter a liter. Add 15-20 minutes for the tablets to work in addition to 15 minutes for a liter of water--that was far to long to wait for a decent drink! The Aquamira website cagily doesn't mention the size of the filter, but another source gives it as 3.0 microns. Per the CDC, a 1.0 micron filter is needed for giardia and crypto cysts, so it's questionable that the Aquamira Frontier Pro will even filter out those.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/06/10 12:47 AM)

#126697 - 01/12/10 11:24 AM Re: gravity water filters [Re: Paul]
chris angus Offline

Loc: england
Hi everybody i purchased an aquagard in line filter last year and am very plaesed with it.It filters out allbacteria,viruses, protozoa and retro fits to any bladder based system.Also comes with a tap adaptor to use if your not sure of a countrys' water purity or just want to get rid of the taste of chlorineit only weighs 100 grammes plus alittle more for the attachments.It filters 1600 litres and has an automatic cut off when this is reached.I got mine from backpacking light.co.uk I used mine in puddles in india and got clear tasty water.

#128258 - 02/06/10 01:40 PM Re: gravity water filters [Re: chris angus]
medicjimr Offline

Loc: Kittanning, Pa
I like my Hiker Pro since I can get to water in small streams etc It would be more difficult or time consuming to have to dip a small container to fill the gravity fed container. I am going lightweight not ultra or minimalist so a few ounces for convenience is no problem for me.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum