Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#106041 - 11/06/08 07:10 PM Lightweight camera protection?
lars Offline

Loc: Bay Area
I finally bit the DSLR bullet and bought a Canon XSi with a 18-200 zoom lens to replace my large-ish point and shoot. Does anyone have a tip how to protect it in the backpack without adding a lot of bulk and weight? Most camera bags like the Crumpler and Lowes are a not something that I want to add to my load. I also really don't want to wear it round my neck most of the time, and just wrapping it in some clothing is a bit impractical and probably not too effective.

I know, not exactly lightweight, but it takes really nice pictures.

#106042 - 11/07/08 04:22 AM Re: Lightweight camera protection? [Re: lars]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Why do you want your camera inside your pack? You will miss a lot of photo opportunities that way. I like mine where I can grab it quickly. I understand the part about not hanging around your neck. I hate the way they swing around while you are walking. A holster style or a chest harness might be an option.

#106043 - 11/07/08 07:00 AM Re: Lightweight camera protection? [Re: scottyb]
scottmphoto Offline

Loc: Russellville, Arkansas, USA
Check into something called "Camera Armor" - http://www.cameraarmor.us/ .
I agree, you need to keep the camera where you can reach it so that you can use it for what you brought it along for. For me (I'm technically a professional photographer), the camera isn't that heavy, it's the lenses that are heaviest. While I don't use the camera armor, I do keep my camera strapped over my shoulder and all my extra lenses are in a small bag either strapped to the top of my pack or at the top on the inside (depending on how much food and gear I have on the trip).
Eagle Scout - BSA /
Vigil Honor - Order of the Arrow

#106044 - 11/07/08 08:39 AM Re: Lightweight camera protection? [Re: scottmphoto]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Scott:

Have you used it? Reading reviews on some of the retailers' sites, a few users haven't cared much for that silicone acting like a "dust magnet."''

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#106045 - 11/07/08 09:50 AM Re: Lightweight camera protection? [Re: scottmphoto]
lars Offline

Loc: Bay Area
Thanks Scott, Camera Armor might just be what I'm looking for. I'll order some and see if it works. Back in the film era, almost every SLR came with a small, thin leather case that worked beautifully, but with all the buttons and the LCD displays, it doesn't really work anymore. I still love the Zeiss Ikon cases my grandfathers 35mm SLRs came in. Light, tough, non-bulky and the acquired a beautiful patina over the years.

Regarding the in-your-backpack vs. neck strap issue. I can see both sides, but for the last 20 years, I always kept my cameras in either my day pack or my backpack. It might be a bit slower, but with practice, I can get it out and take a picture in a few seconds. I've done it so often that it is pretty much automatic and I can't remember any shots I missed in years:

-unclip hip belt (if it's not the daypack) and slide out of the right shoulder strap
-swing pack forward on the left shoulder strap
-unzip with the right hand
-slide hand through the wrist strap or hand grip
-take out camera

If it looks like there are multiple opportunities, I just carry the camera on a neoprene wrist strap.

There are a few reasons why I do it this way. For once, I often travel and hike in countries where my camera is worth a few months wages. Secondly, wearing a 3 pound camera on a neck strap hurts my back fairly quickly. Also, people are very often more open if you don't have your camera out right from the beginning. On the wrist strap or hand grip, I can also wear it low on my side, so it's not that noticeable. Obviously, that's more for street photography than for backpacking.

The other issue is that I don't like a few free swinging pounds on my upper body. I once screwed up my knee pretty badly when a bag I was carrying shifted at exactly the wrong time while scrambling up a mesa. (I know, I was an idiot for carrying it in the first place.)

YMMY, obviously.

#106046 - 11/07/08 10:54 AM Re: Lightweight camera protection? [Re: lars]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
I know what you mean about the fitted leather cases. I still have one along with my Minolta XD11 that I purchased in 1978. Since moving to a DSLR, 6 years ago, I have been frustrated with the lack of these as well.

I used this while hiking and rafting in the Grand Canyon. I reduced my camera down to a Canon G9 for that trip, and carried it in a very small Tamarac case on the harness. I also used the harness for the camera in it's waterproof housing for rafting and floating down the river. The camera in the housing is about the same size as a DSLR with a medium zoom lens. While hiking, I put the harnes on first, then the backpack over it. I was very pleased with it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum