Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105372 - 10/26/08 10:39 AM pot made from bean can??
marksclan Offline

Loc: PA
a while back i thought someone had pix of making a cook pot from a bean can. If I'm not mistaken you cut the lid off one using a side cutting opener. Then use that as a lid; do i use the same can as the pot or another one using the traditional can opened lid?

Once I cut the lid using the side cutter, the mouth of the can is real flexible and keeps getting crushed in my pack.

cm

#105373 - 10/26/08 01:10 PM Re: pot made from bean can?? [Re: marksclan]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Marksclan-

How large is your bean can? Lots of lightweight pots are on the flimsy side. I have used a Vienna sausage can for years, since before the side-cutter can openers came out. Beer cans are pretty flexible, too, especially if the top is removed with a side-cutter.

My solutions to avoid crushing are to either pack the cans with other items, or pack the cans inside other items. See if you can find some sort of lightweight plastic container. Years ago, I used a plastic canister from soft drink powders, a la SGT Rock. More recently, I've been using a Ziplock bowl with a screw top. I've lined the bowl on the outside with windshield reflector to hold in heat as my food reconstitutes with boiling water.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Firelight Trapper Mug and the companion Caldera Cone set up. The Calderas are now sold with a nice little plastic canister/caddy. A friend had some spare Reflectix, so I now have a Reflectix cozy for this little gem. Inside the caddy, I can fit the Trapper Mug, a lighter, 1/4 Handiwipe, alcohol fuel bottle, long-handled Ti-spoon, MSR pot lifter, rolled Caldera Cone, and the stove. Sweet! This takes up more room than my Vienna sausage can pot set up, but may be more functional. It is at least easier and cheaper to buy alcohol than the Esbits I have been using.

Now, I just need some play time...

As I said above, look for a plastic container to protect your pot as it is carried, just make it fit more than one use in your set up.

CamperMom

#105374 - 10/27/08 02:26 PM Re: pot made from bean can?? [Re: CamperMom]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Quote:

As I said above, look for a plastic container to protect your pot as it is carried, just make it fit more than one use in your set up.

This is an excellent idea if you carry an extra bowl/cup - i.e. let that protect the SUL Pot.

OTOH, if your setup is such that you do not carry an extra container, and only use a pot for everything, it may be lighter to just have a sturdier - Experiment a bit and find out what works for you. There's really no "one size fits all" answer here. Most of us have a system that works for us, with how we eat, and what we eat.
Browse my pictures

#105375 - 10/27/08 07:13 PM Re: pot made from bean can?? [Re: phat]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I second that! Stove/pot combinations are as individual as sleeping arrangements and depend on how and what you like to cook and eat.

#105376 - 10/29/08 11:24 AM Re: pot made from bean can?? [Re: marksclan]
KYratshooter Offline

Loc: North KY, S of Cincinnati
This is not rocket science.

If the can is too flexable make another one using a standard can opener. It is a bean can, and all you have to do to get another is eat another can of beans.

If you use a coffee can you get the plastic lid that comes with it and fits perfectly.

#105377 - 11/02/08 10:12 AM Re: pot made from bean can?? [Re: KYratshooter]
marksclan Offline

Loc: PA
thanks for the advice rat...

OK, maybe you didn't read my post. I was looking for a specific reply resulting from an old post. I liked the design and wanted to duplicate the one I had previously seen.

Now back to my NASA projects....

marksclan

#105378 - 11/02/08 11:52 AM Re: pot made from bean can?? [Re: marksclan]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
In my early hiking days, I used a pot made of a tomato can; I think it was a 303 size can. The top was removed leaving the rolled rim, I punched a couple of holes just under the rim for a wire bail and used a lid from a coffee can (IIRC) to make a primitive lid for the pot. The whole thing only weighed about 5 oz. I used it almost entirely to cook over cook fires although it had a few turns on a Coleman 2-burner and worked just fine. After a few years, it really looked like heck but it always worked and the price was right. I actually carried it in a paper lunch bag to keep soot off my other gear.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum