Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102693 - 09/07/08 07:29 AM A walk in the woods by Bill Bryson
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
As you can see by the many posts I have much time on my hands. So while reading one book, I've decided to get Bryson's book on CD and listen to it on my MP3 player. Rob McQuay is reading the book and it is very entertaining. Funny at times and informative. Great insite on hiking the AT. Has anyone read this? How accurate is this account? I would like to use some of this information to section hike parts of the AT someday.

#102694 - 09/07/08 07:46 AM Re: A walk in the woods by Bill Bryson [Re: chaz]
photohiker Offline

Loc: NC Pa.
I read this book three months ago at the urging of some friends. Certainly not a guidebook for someone planning to walk the trail. But very well written & oftentimes funny.

#102695 - 09/13/08 07:50 AM Re: A walk in the woods by Bill Bryson [Re: chaz]
Roocketman Offline

When I hiked the AT from Georgia to Virginia, none of the hostel folk knew of meeting this guy or had heard of anybody who had met him.

Because it is a work of humor, mostly, one should not get into thinking that it expresses "Biblical Truth"., just "Literary Stories".

I am sure that parts of it are true.

#102696 - 09/13/08 07:58 AM Re: A walk in the woods by Bill Bryson [Re: chaz]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
I've read many of Bryson's book. He is a great author; very entertaining and well written. From the bits and pieces of what he describes that I've experienced myself, everything is accurate. However, it's not everything you need to know to hike the AT. It is an excellent companion piece, and his historical research and stories are wonderful.

#102697 - 09/13/08 03:15 PM Re: A walk in the woods by Bill Bryson [Re: Folkalist]
chaz Offline

So how accurate is the information about Centrailia PA? In the book there was a fire some 34 years ago (longer now) that is still smoldering. Is there still an underground fire that will burn for a thousands years. I really know nothing about this area, only what I read in the story/ account. I have been to the white mountains in NH and experienced the sudden weather changes. We were there in July and they were predicting snow flurries. You can really get caught off guard and unprepaired in that region.

#102698 - 09/14/08 09:27 AM Re: A walk in the woods by Bill Bryson [Re: chaz]
Bearpaw Offline

Bryson's Book is comedian's guide to the AT. A lot of what is writes is, in fact, based on fact (pun intended).

Most of the businesses he blasts can't tell you about his visit, because they have since gone OUT of business. Some blame Bryson. Some blame the fact that the charges he made were true enough that other hikers chose to bypass those services.

It's also worth noting that Bryson's book probably reflects the majority of those who attempt to thru-hike. They don't make it all the way either.

As for the Centralia fire, I can't tell you much. No thru-hiker goes near the place. But since Bryson had to write a book that filled x-number of pages, local folklore can fill quite nicely. But it's NOT a trail issue.

Just remember, how accurate do you expect Carlos Mencia or the Daily Show to be in their routines? Not all that much. Well, Bryson's book should be taken with a grain of salt too. It doesn't change an underlying layer of truth: many potential thru-hikers grow to hate the AT while they are out there. This is why they quit. Many successful thru-hikers grow to hate the trail while out there and they suffer through a few hundred more miles and go home to do other things.

Then they miss the trail a couple of months later.....

#102699 - 09/14/08 01:05 PM Re: A walk in the woods by Bill Bryson [Re: Bearpaw]
coyotemaster Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Many successful thru-hikers grow to hate the trail while out there...

Then they miss the trail a couple of months later.....

I'd like to get there.

#102700 - 09/14/08 03:57 PM Re: A walk in the woods by Bill Bryson [Re: chaz]
Hector Offline

Loc: LA/ARK/TX corner

#102701 - 09/14/08 05:02 PM Re: A walk in the woods by Bill Bryson [Re: chaz]
photohiker Offline

Loc: NC Pa.
I drive by Centralia several times per year. The fires still burn underground. Only a sleleton population remains.

#102702 - 09/14/08 08:26 PM Re: A walk in the woods by Bill Bryson [Re: coyotemaster]
trekkin Offline

Loc: PNW
IMHO, This book reflects the mindset, equipment, fitness, and attitude of the people that don't make it thru-hiking the AT.

Also, my understanding is that Katz never existed; Bryson made him up.

Good for a giggle perhaps, but read elsewhere for reliable info on the AT.

#102703 - 09/15/08 07:24 AM Re: A walk in the woods by Bill Bryson [Re: trekkin]
chaz Offline

Quote:
Good for a giggle perhaps, but read elsewhere for reliable info on the AT.

I agree, It was entertaining with Katz throwing stuff out of his pack to save weight. I did think that some of the discriptions of various sections may have given a glimps of what they may be like. I would like to section hike some of those. Mostly starting around the Smokeys.

#102704 - 09/18/08 04:27 PM Re: A walk in the woods by Bill Bryson [Re: chaz]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Supposedly the Katz character is based on a real friend, the same person he travelled Europe with as a teenager many years before, and recounted briefly in Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe, written twenty years after his youthful backpack.

I just finished reading Notes from a Small Island written 3 years before A Walk in the Woods. It's another fun read about his trek (using public-transportation almost exclusively) to the furthest points of Great Britain. His humorous musings are mostly about urban England, but in it he takes many rambles across the countryside, although none so far that he doesn't find a warm (though sometimes shabby) B&B and a pub (often serving him many pints) each night. But in the book he tells of how he became infatuated with hiking (on a trip to a peak in the Lakes district long before this nostalgic trek.)

I think his popularity has come from his affable, self-deprecating nature that comes out so well in his books, yet he seldom pulls his punches in his criticism. And face it, we'd all love to get a big, fat advance to do something like hike the AT and then write down our thoughts on it.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum