Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#100937 - 08/08/08 07:45 AM CNN Story about Marijuana in Sierras . . .
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Is this an issue for back country backpackers out West? Ever run into something like this? Could one of the "sources" that lead enforcement to the locations be backpackers?

#100938 - 08/08/08 08:00 AM Re: CNN Story about Marijuana in Sierras . . . [Re: Keith]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I haven't read the story but it is really old news. I worked in forestry for over 30 years in the western states and for most of that time, we needed to be careful when working in good MJ growing country. A number of my colleagues were shot at and stories were circulating about people being killed. Meth labs in the woods were another issue we needed to deal with. The people who grow weed or cook meth are really not very nice people.

#100939 - 08/08/08 09:19 AM Re: CNN Story about Marijuana in Sierras . . . [Re: Pika]
johndavid Offline

Loc: jersey city NJ
I'd speculate that a good place for growing mj on federal property would be as far as possible from places that are popular with backpackers or anybody else. Perhaps clear-cuts might be good, especially given desirability of sunlight.

I spent a few days with a guy who claimed to have previously worked as a guard for an mj grower in northern Calif in the late 1980s. My impression is, that the site was at a relatively low elevation. I don't know who owned the property.

According to him, he was hired in part due to his ability and willingness to use a firearm in the line of duty. He claimed there was a conflict with local indians & had various other stories that were perhaps unbelievable and somewhat entertaining.

#100940 - 08/09/08 09:02 AM Re: CNN Story about Marijuana in Sierras . . . [Re: Keith]
just_another_Joe Offline

In arid areas, everyone knows the perenial streams. The growers tend to just be further uphill in the rougher, brushier parts from the popular visitor sites. If you come to a obviously closed place on a typical creekside, fisherman's trail, there may be a reason for that unprofessional, overbuilt closure.

If you start seeing plants in a creek bottom, don't stop and look. Ignore them and keep moving.

#100941 - 08/09/08 12:55 PM Re: CNN Story about Marijuana in Sierras . . . [Re: Keith]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I don't see a link to the story but it's nothing new. Heed all advice and avoid pot growers. It ain't like it was in the late 60's or 70's when a few plants were grown by people that would kill you. Now it's big biz and ties to organized crime etc. A lot of them have automatic weapons and will leave you to rot and fertilize their crop.

#100942 - 08/09/08 12:59 PM Re: CNN Story about Marijuana in Sierras . . . [Re: chaz]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Not that some people in the 60's or 70's wouldn't kill you. But they would hit you with a flower.

#100943 - 08/09/08 01:07 PM Re: CNN Story about Marijuana in Sierras . . . [Re: Keith]
bash Offline

Loc: Scotts Valley,CA
I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains above the SF Bay Area. Raids by federal agents are conducted all the time. We have one famous trail here, the Skyline to The Sea Trail. Alot of pot farms are located along or near this trail. Most are from Mexican Nationals and most likely tied to gangs. Raids usually have gunfire and deaths. One was shot and killed whilst the other two escaped into the mountains near Castle Rock State Park. Most rangers in National Parks pack heat due to the threat of crime and most of them have basically turned into Peace Officers in the front country. Sad.

#100944 - 08/11/08 02:05 PM Re: CNN Story about Marijuana in Sierras . . . [Re: Keith]
Mattress Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
Any of the other Canadian hikers here have the first thought of "hey, this could reduce my pack weight..."?

#100945 - 08/12/08 07:48 AM Re: CNN Story about Marijuana in Sierras . . . [Re: Keith]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I was backpacking in the Kalalou(spelling?) valley on the coast of Kawaii a number of years ago. I walked right into the middle of a grow operation and found myself surrounded by hundreds of small Marijuana plants.

Really spooked me. I immediately retraced my steps and got out of there.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum