Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#100900 - 08/07/08 05:07 PM DIY Ursack or Ratsack
altadude Offline

I was thinking about trying to make a ratsack or ursack.
Has anyone tried this?

A DIY ratsack, in my feeble mind, might be ditty bags with steel wool in the middle?

Ursack seems a little more challening.........

I guess I am thinking of not having to hang my bag in a campsite and just leaving it on the ground..........

Any thoughts?

#100901 - 08/08/08 02:27 AM Re: DIY Ursack or Ratsack [Re: altadude]
TurkeyBacon Offline

Loc: Boston
I believe you would be in over your head. Steel wool is nothing for a determined rodent that can conform itself down to the size of a dime or something like that. No offence to you, but rodents and bear are professionals... Its what they do for a living. So unless you can get similar materials to what usack uses, the only way to outsmart a rodent would be a plastic conatiner, IMO.
The problem with rodents seems to be that on the ground, the mice can get it, in a tree the squirrels can get it. Right now I'm trying to outsmart a grey squirrel off my birdfeeder, I suspect I will give up and end up with a squirrel feeder.
But please do try to prove me wrong... I just am putting my money on the rodents.
Scott

#100902 - 08/08/08 06:15 AM Re: DIY Ursack or Ratsack [Re: TurkeyBacon]
lori Offline

Quote:
So unless you can get similar materials to what usack uses, the only way to outsmart a rodent would be a plastic conatiner, IMO.

Marmots in Mineral King chew cars - plastics and rubbers and chewy bits. You have to take chicken wire or heavy tarp to wrap around your car at the trailhead. Rats and squirrels could probably take on a tupperware, coons can open them. Polycarbonate ala BearVault stops them, so does the heavy duty plastic of the Garcia or similar canisters.

IMO buying a rat sack is cheaper than trying to make one - why reinvent the wheel and spend all your time on what's already available for cheaper (by the time you get done with the prototype how many hours will you have spent that you could have used for something else, like work, hiking, playing with your kids, etc)? Do it only if you need a hobby to take up a bunch of your time.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#100903 - 08/08/08 07:40 AM Re: DIY Ursack or Ratsack [Re: altadude]
tarbubble Offline

Loc: ca-li-for-ni-a
if you insist on doing this, go to a vehicle salvage yard and cut out a deployed airbag. the cutting will not be easy, you'll want a box cutter or other very tough cutting implement. sew a bag out of the airbag fabric. somebody else on this forum has done it, run a search.

unless you're in treeless desert, hanging (not counterbalancing) is easy. have you tried the PCT method?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html

#100904 - 08/09/08 04:20 AM Re: DIY Ursack or Ratsack [Re: lori]
TurkeyBacon Offline

Loc: Boston
"the only way to outsmart a rodent would be a plastic conatiner, IMO"
"Rats and squirrels could probably take on a tupperware, coons can open them."

I'm thinking thicker. While not the greatest example, this is the best picture I could come up with real quickly http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pr...;amp;lpage=none
Not excatly practical, which is my point...
But please do prove the naysayers wrong, and post your successes.
TB

#100905 - 08/10/08 10:43 AM Re: DIY Ursack or Ratsack [Re: altadude]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
I don't know why, but mice hate burlap. I had a mouse invasion in my garage a few years ago - they got into many of my food stores through all kinds of containers, but left the rice in the burlap bag alone. I've read somewhere that one of the reasons burlap is used heavily to contain rice and grains in 3rd world countries is because mice won't touch it. Don't know about other rodents though.

30+ mice avoiding burlap can't be a coincidence.

(shudder)

MNS

#100906 - 08/10/08 11:09 AM Re: DIY Ursack or Ratsack [Re: TurkeyBacon]
altadude Offline

As always, this board provides amazingly helpful advice, especially the naysayers who think I would be in over my head (seriously, I am not handy at all).........and the ones who think I should just get the commercial product (do I need an excuse for more gear?!)...........

Here are my thoughts..........looking not to have to hang my bag using the PCT method (here in the NE you can have some very THICKLY forested areas where it is challenging to find a spot to throw the line) AND we, like MNS, have had mice want to stay with us in our house-steel wool and aluminum foil in the cracks in our basement have kept our unwanted squatters from coming in-the lore has always been that the mice noses don't like the poking of the steel wool.........so I thought that a steel wool "blanket" around our food would also keep the varmints out...........could be totally wrong (a daily experience in my life).............

So, I am waffling.........whether to place steel wool between two bags and see if it keeps the varmints out............or to just buy the ursack/ratsack.......what I usually do is make a DIY (which is usually of poor quality) and then buy the commercially made one.............

MNS-how thick and rough was the burlap-maybe the same principle as the steel wool?

Thanks again all,

A

#100907 - 08/11/08 12:24 PM Re: DIY Ursack or Ratsack [Re: altadude]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
Altadude...

It wasn't particularly thick... it was a bag of Jasmine rice from Costco, which came in a burlap bag. The zipper was open (i.e. easy access) and yet the inner bag was undisturbed... unlike virtually everything else in the pantry. It has been a few years, but I seem to recall that they ate through some very surprising packages, and the bag of brown rice that was in plastic, but it was as if they gave the burlap wide berth. I think it is an odor issue for them.

MNS

#100908 - 08/15/08 11:57 AM Re: DIY Ursack or Ratsack [Re: altadude]
JoeF Offline

I posted this some time ago to the Thur-hiker message board but it may work for what your looking for. The blend fabrics Ursack uses has a high percentage of Kevlar in it and I was reading in auto week that so do air-bags. Well one of my other hobbies is working and camping in my 97 vw vanagon and this sends me to the junk yard once in a wile. Well last time I was there I cut out about 5 air bags to play with and made a stuff sack from it. I've found it it's really strong stuff. One of the keep parts of the Ursack is the metal insert adds some stiffness to the outside and makes it harder for mice and small animals to bite down on.

Anyway, I left my bag out by the trash to see if any small animals could get into it and was happy. I'm not saying I'd use it for Bear and I still tend to hang it but I've been happy. If you give it a go what I've found is side of passenger side bags give the most usable area over driver side. Also most of the air bags I found have a rubber coating on the inside which is also nice.

I call it my airbag bear bag. ;-)

This messenger bag I made to carry my tools around in the junk yard, also from air bags

#100909 - 08/15/08 01:47 PM Re: DIY Ursack or Ratsack [Re: JoeF]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Very cool. What did you use to stitch it? Thread type?, needle type? machine or hand?

#100910 - 08/15/08 02:03 PM Re: DIY Ursack or Ratsack [Re: DTape]
JoeF Offline

I used a serger to do the seems with regular poly thread. The bar tacks are done with Bernina 950 on the zig-zag setting. All seams are in the inside. I did this bag as test and it's held up well but if you wanted to kick it up a notch you can buy Kevlar thread.

The line to close the bag is spectra, really strong stuff. I buy it at Into the wind

JFF

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum