Rain gear for tall people...help!!

Posted by: willie1280

Rain gear for tall people...help!! - 06/11/18 12:57 PM

Looking to purchase a rain set (pants and jacket) for my trip to Alaska this fall. I'll be backpacking, so i prefer to keep the weight down if possible.

The bigger issue is finding something that'll fit my 6'5" 260lb frame.

Anyone have experience with this or know of brands that don't advertise as being talls but fit tall people?
Posted by: BZH

Re: Rain gear for tall people...help!! - 06/11/18 01:03 PM

Are you looking for higher end gear or cheaper gear? I ask, because you could probably find a cottage gear maker who could help you out, but it wouldn't be cheap.

Re: Rain gear for tall people...help!! - 06/11/18 01:43 PM

At this point i'm trying to understand my options.

If it's off the shelf stuff but has a good track record i'm fine with it.

The only options i've found so far is North Face Venture 2 jacket and pants for about $200 for the set. Other option with so-so reviews is the REI co-op line. I think Eddie Bauer had something as well for around $170 for the set.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Rain gear for tall people...help!! - 06/11/18 05:25 PM

Z-packs makes a rain set for $450.

http://zpacks.com/clothing.shtml

They used to do quite a bit of personalized stuff, but I didn't see anything about it on there website. Its certainly worth an email to see how they can accommodate you if those prices are within your budget.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Rain gear for tall people...help!! - 06/12/18 02:41 PM

We had a thread some time back about big and tall sizes, but I'll be darned if I can find it!

I remember looking up some options at that time. A number of the big and tall stuff isn't big or tall enough (the poster was, I believe, close to your size). You really have to check the vendor's size charts! I do remember that LL Bean carries rain gear that appears to be big enough.

I'd suggest searching for tall/big sizes in rain jackets and rain pants, and checking each vendor's size charts. First, though, check your measurements (chest, sleeve length, jacket length, waist, hips, trouser length), and compare them to the size charts. Do remember that you need room inside the rain gear for your insulating clothing!

Unfortunately, I doubt that big/tall sizes and light weight go together, especially since your choices in those sizes will be limited.

Re: Rain gear for tall people...help!! - 06/13/18 03:01 PM

I ordered the Marmot Precip jacket and pants today. It came down between that and the North Face Venture 2 setup.

We'll see how it fits. If it doesn't i've got time for a Plan B.

Re: Rain gear for tall people...help!! - 06/18/18 12:08 PM

Well i got my Marmot Precip gear over the weekend. We had a pretty good rain this morning so i decided to test the jacket on my way to work. Overall the jacket fits good. Arms and torso aren't as long as i expected. The forearms are pretty tight for me and obviously only get worse with the clinginess from the rain. The jacket is also more form fitting even though my 42" chest is well below the XL measurements.

Might have to order up the Venture 2 and see if that's any better.