National Park Fees going up

Posted by: Jim M

National Park Fees going up - 10/25/17 11:48 PM

I just heard the National Park Fees for Rainier and Olympic N.P. are going up to $70 per car. Hiking and camping in the national parks used to be something even families with limited incomes could enjoy. In that sense I think it is a recessive tax and for that I am against it. When I was a boy scout we had a lot of fun camping with inexpensive old army surplus gear. I wouldn't have been able to afford it if I it costs what it does now then.
Posted by: troutstalker

Re: National Park Fees going up - 06/03/18 01:48 PM

Too bad about the prices rising for sure
Posted by: Lonerock

Re: National Park Fees going up - 06/03/18 08:11 PM

The park service changed their mind about the $70 fee and decided to change it instead from $25 to $30 per vehicle and $50 to $55 for an annual pass. I would guess that the protest over the huge proposed increase convinced them to change their minds.

I too hate the idea of some families being unable to afford a trip to a national park. It shouldn't become the "sport of kings".
Posted by: Korak

Re: National Park Fees going up - 09/26/18 06:55 PM

I'm of a split opinion. On the one hand, price is a natural level to control the amount of people and burden on the ecosystem. On the other hand, as you point out, money isn't evenly distributed so some folks could be blocked out.

Seems like maybe a 2 tier pricing model for "in state" vs "out of state" visitors might be a partial solution. Low income folks might be less likely to travel longer distances while more affluent folks would be more likely. It wouldn't be 100% of course but maybe better than just a flat increase across the board.

I don't know.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: National Park Fees going up - 09/28/18 05:24 PM

I'm quite sure that a national park would not be allowed to set different fees for residents of different U.S. states--the federal courts would rule against such a discriminatory step.

State parks, of course, can charge more for nonresidents who don't pay taxes to that state. Many states do not do so because they are dependent on out-of-state tourism.

Technically, national parks could charge more for tourists from other countries, who do make up a significant percentage of their visitors. I suspect that the additional personnel needed to check everyone's ID or passport would offset any extra income!