Backpacking the Ouachita Trail thanksgiving

Posted by: toddfw2003

Backpacking the Ouachita Trail thanksgiving - 10/05/17 11:54 PM

Going to do the section from the Ark/OK border to Winding staircase campground. For those of you who know this trail do you happen to know the late Nov night time temps? Also is there normally water flowing in the Kiamichi river this time of year
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Backpacking the Ouachita Trail thanksgiving - 10/07/17 04:10 AM

Temps can swing a lot that time of year in the Ozarks. The Ouachitas will generally be a bit warmer but you can expect it to get down in the mid-low 40ºs and give or take 10º depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Here's the Kiamichi River Conditions page that shows the current water levels. You might find yearly averages if you poke around that site a bit.

Should be a great trip. That's the perfect time of year to be there!
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Backpacking the Ouachita Trail thanksgiving - 10/11/17 02:15 PM

I agree that should be a great time for it. Hopefully by then the mosquitoes, ticks, and chiggers won't be a problem anymore. I was thinking about trying to sneak away to the Winding Staircase area myself at some point this year. I didn't get to go in Spring (did an alternate trail instead) because of water levels and time constraints.
Posted by: 41253

Re: Backpacking the Ouachita Trail thanksgiving - 10/14/17 01:04 PM

It's a wonderful place! Good planning skipping the really rocky session just west of where you're stopping. If I remember right you'll still have to deal with ticks. Enjoy!