Well ventilated jackets for kids?

Posted by: Steadman

Well ventilated jackets for kids? - 03/14/17 06:17 AM

Anybody aware of any well ventilated (pit zips and so on) rain jackets for kids?

I found some Sierra Designs ones with a vent in the back, but that would be blocked by a pack.

The marmot precip jackets don't have vents in the kids models.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Well ventilated jackets for kids? - 03/14/17 06:21 PM

Did you look at REI? They seem to have a good assortment of kids' clothes (my kids are in their 40s, so I haven't looked at price, quality or features.)
Posted by: Steadman

Re: Well ventilated jackets for kids? - 03/18/17 07:05 AM

Started at REI and Campmor.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Well ventilated jackets for kids? - 03/18/17 05:35 PM

Not the greatest of options, but if you sew (or know someone who does) could you install pit zips? (I also don't know how much leakproof zippers cost, or if/where you can buy them.)
Posted by: BZH

Re: Well ventilated jackets for kids? - 03/20/17 01:59 PM

Yeah, I think people tend to be more price conscious when buying kids clothes because of the short time period they actually fit them. As a result, it can be hard to find higher end features.

I personally would look for a poncho. You could get the disposable (Coughlin's or similar) ones for a couple bucks (or less). I also found this with a quick search on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-River-Apparel-8709-Pacific/dp/B0057NYC04/ref=sr_1_12?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1490032561&sr=1-12&keywords=kids%2Brain%2Bponcho&th=1&psc=1

It seems a little more durable, though i have no first hand experience.
Posted by: topshot

Re: Well ventilated jackets for kids? - 03/27/17 02:51 AM

I went with the youth version of Frogg Toggs, which is quite breathable, for my son. Since I wear what used to be known as DriDucks (the lighter Frogg Toggs) it seemed like a logical choice.