Mid-March and tons of snow

Posted by: wandering_daisy

Mid-March and tons of snow - 03/13/17 11:52 PM

My daughter invited me up to their rental condo at Lake Serene (near Sugarbowl ski area, Donner Summit, north of Tahoe). The elevation is about 6800 feet. Here is their rental. There is a garage in there somewhere. The door was jammed shut, we had to tunnel into the garage.

Other houses have actually fared worse.

The back of their house has melted more. The roof is pretty dry on this side but you can step off the second story deck right onto the snow.

Snow on the roofs of the surrounding houses provided great sledding hills. We snow-shoed around the lake but it is hard enough that we did it a second time without. It is just freezing at night and up to mid-60's days. Donner Lake is still totally frozen.

This winter has been an epic winter for northern California. If you are headed this way for backpacking, you will be in for a lot of snow until much later this year. But if you want to ski in July, this may be the place to be!
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Mid-March and tons of snow - 04/15/17 12:40 AM

That looks like my house in Bend in January. The springs on my motorcycle trailer broke under the load of the snow as did the left rear springs on my 78 Lincoln continental.

Re: Mid-March and tons of snow - 04/15/17 01:56 PM

Still snowing in the mountains. There were chain controls on Donner Pass yesterday morning with snow continuing all week. The spring snows are less - only a few inches each day instead of feet. Still, an amazingly high snowpack year both for the Sierra and the Wind Rivers. Big snowpack for Cascades too.

The PCT hikers are going to have a year similar to 2011.
Posted by: HPD

Re: Mid-March and tons of snow - 04/16/17 11:58 AM

I knew they were getting a lot of snow but your photos really tell the story!! Thanks for posting them.

Not heading that way but have a friend that's going to Yosemite in May. He won't be backpacking, just sightseeing and doing a little hiking. Is the snowpack as insane over on that side of the Sierras?

I've been watching the Winds and I agree with the 2011 comparison. I went that year but not until August 4th. Surprisingly, we had no issues with the snow or the run-off on that trip, the bugs however, were another story. Hoping to head up on the 6th of August this summer and hoping for similar conditions.

Guess as always, it all depends on what happens between now and then.

Re: Mid-March and tons of snow - 04/17/17 11:44 AM

Tioga Pass may not be open in May this year. Hope your friend isn't planning on that. They just started plowing. Have him check this website.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

Re: Mid-March and tons of snow - 04/17/17 11:49 AM

Also, even if Tioga Pass is open, the road from the gas station down to the valley is currently damaged by mud slides. Supposed to open some time in May, but that is another thing to check on. You currently can only get into the valley from 41 (from Fresno) or the road from Merced.

Also, use the CALTRANS quickmap to see when the other passes open.
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Mid-March and tons of snow - 04/17/17 07:57 PM

Holy schnikes!
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Mid-March and tons of snow - 04/18/17 04:17 PM

I was down in the Mojave Desert, tons of snow on the east side of the Sierra, went down 395. City folk are gonna be in for a surprise if expecting to do anything early or even later. Last time it was like this, I did the Yolla Bollys.
Duane
Posted by: HPD

Re: Mid-March and tons of snow - 04/19/17 10:04 AM

I'll pass your info along. Thanks daisy!
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Mid-March and tons of snow - 04/30/17 10:19 PM

Up in Lassen again for a o/n camping trip with a friend from Sacramento, snow is still around 8 feet there. I'd guess the road thru the Park will be closed into July.
Duane