Zion Backcountry

Posted by: CryptoFish

Zion Backcountry - 03/09/17 08:22 PM

Hey all, I'm taking a month and a half to do some solo hiking in southern Utah this May and I was wondering if anybody could share any information regarding cross country hiking in Zion, Escalante and Canyonlands.

How difficult is the terrain to cross? Do the rangers in any of the parks have problems with cross country hiking? Dangers and annoyances I should know about?

Whatever you can share would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Posted by: toddfw2003

Re: Zion Backcountry - 03/10/17 01:16 AM

I know there area better than most. If you are going to do Zion the only thing you want to check out is the Barracks. Its the East fork of the Virgin River. As for issues with the Rangers some places you need permits to enter like BuckSkin Gulch. All of the Grand Staircase /Canyons of the Escalante you need a permit if you are staying overnight ( backpacking). You can get the permit in Escalante. its free.

The terrain is unforgiving if you cant read a map. Canyons after canyons after canyons that are easy to get lost in if you arent prepared. If there are storms in the area stay out of the canyons unless you can hike on higher ground. Especially stay out of all the slot canyons during rain. Rain can be 40 miles away and still flash flood there.

The Escalante area is my favorite area. Get a lot of info. There arent many named and marked trails. The Burr trail is a good one to start with though.

Southern Utah is a whole other ballgame than say the PCT, JMT, AT and CDT. GPS's are worthless when you drop down into a canyon.

IMO death hollow is the best canyon to see in the Escalante and then maybe Choprock. Coyote gulch is pretty but full of people. As for Canyonlands the Needles, The Maze, Horshoe and Blue John Canyons are pretty awesome.

I will be there in Apr. My third two week trip there in a year
Posted by: CryptoFish

Re: Zion Backcountry - 03/12/17 10:32 PM

Thanks for the tips, I've been looking a lot at Choprock Canyon. I was thinking I might work my way up Choprock and head back through Silver Falls for a nice little loop.

Re: Zion Backcountry - 03/13/17 09:05 PM

You can drop in from the road at Fence canyon. After crossing the Escalante a few time you can check out Neon canyon. A mile upstream is choprock canyon. first canyon on your right.

Re: Zion Backcountry - 03/13/17 09:33 PM

this is a good online mapping app. http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=37.63403,-111.16612&z=14&b=mbt
Posted by: Mister13

Re: Zion Backcountry - 03/20/17 05:03 PM

Many of the canyons in Zion you need a permit for. The only places you are allowed to camp are at campsites, which you also need a permit for as well.

Re: Zion Backcountry - 03/20/17 06:19 PM

the Barracks you dont need a permit. its outside of the park and on BLM land