New Mexico Snowshoeing Suggestions

Posted by: scratchtp

New Mexico Snowshoeing Suggestions - 11/02/16 01:58 PM

My wife and I are thinking about going to Santa Fe after Christmas for several days, and I was hoping people who have been in the area or are from there might have some suggestions for some decent snowshoeing routes. We don't really have the gear to do serious winter camping, so just day trips. I'm honestly only been snowshoeing once, so I'm not sure what distance to ask for (is snowshoeing more difficult?). We normally hike 10-15 miles and a couple thousand feet of elevation gain without packs (or lightweight packs).

Also, any advice on good snowshoes to get? I am still debating between renting or buying, but since we live in New York I figure we'll get the chance to use them again someday...
Posted by: shuddleson

Re: New Mexico Snowshoeing Suggestions - 11/12/16 11:21 AM

I am not much help for the snowshoeing but will try to ask some of my friends for suggestions. There are probably trails at the ski basin, and in the Pecos Wilderness i know is popular. Just hope you have snow, extremely late this year, a light dusting last week but it's pretty warm.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: New Mexico Snowshoeing Suggestions - 11/14/16 01:53 PM

I looked into NM snowshoeing and found lots of trails listed around Taos and over the border in Durango. Never went, as we've chose other activities, but there's lots there. My wife and I use Atlas shoes and have found them pretty darn durable. I trashed a pair of Tubbs before that, and I believe they are now owned by Atlas. The Tubbs saw LOTS of use. We've used them a lot in the 'dacks, Catskills, Greens and elsewhere. We did most of the trails in Harriman/Bear Mt. last winter. but never got to use the shoes. This winter may change that, as there are lots of 'shoe friendly trails there. I did gauge the size of my shoes to be a big enough platform to hold me and a winter pack (30 lbs.). A little slower, until you need the flotation.